Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,542 times

Advertisements

Im looking for help getting my security deposit back... I know, I know.. you've heard it all before... but! I really feel like not getting my whole damage deposit back for light bulbs and batteries is ridiculous. Any suggestions?

Short version... Wife/landlord did the walk thru with me and she loved the place- in fact noted that it was cleaner when I moved out as to when I moved in! Then husband (who has been a thorn in my side since I moved in 1 1/2 years ago) he decided 2 days later that I didnt get ANY of my deposit back! Sent me a certified letter that Lock that needed to be replaced on front door, cleaning , dipose of old grill, batteries low in 3 smoke detectors, microwave light bulb out... etc. But also to repair a small hole that was put in floor by prof satellite installation.

Is all this legit? ugh! Thanks for any comments or advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
Good luck collecting. Did you take photos at move in and move out? If so you might be able to come to an agreement in small claims court.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
How much was your damage deposit, about $3.00?

Complete BS, most of those charges are considered normal wear and tear. I'd take em to small claims court just for the privledge of watching him trying to justify to the judge that he wants a pound of flesh from you for your smoke detector batteries. Get an itemized repair cost from the landloser and head down to city hall. At most I could see about $2.50 for the wood putty to fill in your 1/4" hole in the floor as being your responsibility.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:12 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,425 times
Good luck collecting, I think you may have something given that they say in the letter things you should not be responsible for unless your lease said otherwise.

Years ago I left a rental and had a similar problem. It sucks. Photos are a good idea, I learned that one.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I still fail to see what "damages" other than a little hole in the floor, the OP is negligent for. Did the LL ever provide an itemized list of the damages he's basing the withholding of the deposit for?

The law heavily sides with a tenant in these matters against the big bad evil landlord. The tenant's responsibility is to leave a forwarding address. The landlord's responsibility is to return the security deposit within 21 days, at which point interest starts accruing on the money withheld. Once a judgment is made in the tenant's favor, the landlord will have to pay double the interest withheld. If he's dumb enough to screw around anymore with your money the judgment can be tripled. My guess is your landlord is some rube that likely can't find his butt with both hands.

Subd. 3.Return of security deposit.

(a) Every landlord shall:
(1) within three weeks after termination of the tenancy; or
(2) within five days of the date when the tenant leaves the building or dwelling due to the legal condemnation of the building or dwelling in which the tenant lives for reasons not due to willful, malicious, or irresponsible conduct of the tenant,
and after receipt of the tenant's mailing address or delivery instructions, return the deposit to the tenant, with interest thereon as provided in subdivision 2, or furnish to the tenant a written statement showing the specific reason for the withholding of the deposit or any portion thereof.
(b) It shall be sufficient compliance with the time requirement of this subdivision if the deposit or written statement required by this subdivision is placed in the United States mail as first class mail, postage prepaid, in an envelope with a proper return address, correctly addressed according to the mailing address or delivery instructions furnished by the tenant, within the time required by this subdivision. The landlord may withhold from the deposit only amounts reasonably necessary:
(1) to remedy tenant defaults in the payment of rent or of other funds due to the landlord pursuant to an agreement; or
(2) to restore the premises to their condition at the commencement of the tenancy, ordinary wear and tear excepted.
(c) In any action concerning the deposit, the burden of proving, by a fair preponderance of the evidence, the reason for withholding all or any portion of the deposit shall be on the landlord.

more fun info here...

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=504B.178
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota