Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
You have no idea how jealous I am...
I am hoping it is a hard enough freeze to kill off the pollen Allergies have been awful this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am hoping it is a hard enough freeze to kill off the pollen Allergies have been awful this year.
Me too! I don't think the freeze warning starts until tomorrow (Wed) night though to be precise. I don't think it will fix the allergy situation if it does freeze. It usually takes temps of 25 or lower to fix that problem it seems

Old 09-13-2011, 04:46 PM

As someone else just reminded me, this is not a good thing for farmers--if the freeze is too hard, they will lose their crops .

Old 09-13-2011, 10:20 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
MN probably has the most extreme temps overall then any state in the US. Can get to 100 in the summer and down to -40 in the winter.

Never lived in a climate where temps go all over in the winter, always live in areas that have 'cold' winters relatively speaking. Having it go from 75 down to 25 and getting an ice storm would be... fun! But having months and months of 90's and 100's high humidity or not, would not be so fun.

Looking at this map which is not really accurate just a general measure to find where the most extreme summer heat waves occur (it's actually some global warming doom map.. I'd love to see a milder US climate honestly)

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/201...0-29142527.png

the sweet spot for living would be eastern IN, western PN, and along the east coast. No familiarity with that area though. With a steady decent job that's not all that hard and pays more then most jobs where you work for someone else that are in manufacturing, I just don't want to leave however. The best I can hope for is to transfer to another 3M plant, when I hit 5 years seniority. I have a few in mind.

I'd love to live on the eastern side of Lake Michigan, around Ludington. Nice lake effect snow events, big beaches, relatively mild winters.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-13-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM

275 posts, read 332,116 times
I can't wait. I love winters, although I prefer fall. Anything over this humidity we've had.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Quote:
As someone else just reminded me, this is not a good thing for farmers--if the freeze is too hard, they will lose their crops .

This is very true. With the massive crop death in Texas and OK and the freezing of crops up here, it makes me wounder what will become of our future grocery bills

Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Like what? oranges & grapefruit?

At this point most crops have grown and are waiting to be harvested.
It'll have little to no effect on corn, potatoes, alpha, wheat, hay, or soy.

yea, the home gardener will have to cover up the tomatoes but most everything else can take a light frost.

Quote:

Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Like what? oranges & grapefruit?

At this point most crops have grown and are waiting to be harvested.
It'll have little to no effect on corn, potatoes, alpha, wheat, hay, or soy.

yea, the home gardener will have to cover up the tomatoes but most everything else can take a light frost.
Sure a light frost but they are talking about a hard freeze, quite different...

Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
FREEZE WARNING
in effect until Thursday, Sep 15, 8:00 AM

...FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM CDT THURSDAY... ...FROST ADVISORY IS CANCELLED...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DULUTH HAS CANCELLED THE FROST ADVISORY. A FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM CDT THURSDAY.
* TEMPERATURES: TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE MID TO UPPER 20S ACROSS THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT...EXCEPT NEAR LAKE SUPERIOR.
* IMPACTS: SENSITIVE OUTDOOR PLANTS AND OTHER VEGETATION WILL BE DAMAGED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

Northern MN,

You could be right as I forgot the crops are a little behind in reaching maturity this year. but this shouldn't effect much of the corn belt

Late Season - If a killing frost occurs before grain fill is complete, yield potential and quality could be affected. A killing frost can occur when the temperature in the crop canopy drops from 32F to 28F for a short time (5-10 minutes) or if the canopy temperature stays at 32F for 4 to 5 hours. This is adequate to kill the entire plant. A lighter frost of 30-32F lasting an hour or two, could kill leaves but not the stalk or ear shank. When only a portion of the leaves are killed, those not killed can continue to function and contribute to grain yield if good growing conditions follow frost.

Quote:
Sure a light frost but they are talking about a hard freeze, quite different...

Old 09-14-2011, 06:10 PM

30 posts, read 52,689 times
I'll take the dirty south heat & humidity over this crap any day!! I'd rather it be absolutely freezing cold than this 50 degree ***** though, working outside (own a landscape company) is terrible, you're constantly going from cold to sweating to then freezing your a$$ off....south FL is calling my name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota