U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,867,772 times

Advertisements

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY apartment that wasn't in total shambles for $275 anywhere now. I'm sure that there is a slight jump in prices around the college, but if you're looking across the state at other cities, Mankato isn't too bad. Checking Craigslist, I see you can spend as little as $600 for a 3-bedroom place. That's pretty cheap. You'd be lucky to get a nice studio apartment for $600 in Minneapolis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM

14,323 posts, read 10,282,587 times
42 miles each way assuming a car gets 25 mpg will cost 11 dollars per trip. Multiply that out times number of trips per month, oil changes, and the time cost of sitting in the car for so long, and I'd say, just pay a little more and live in Mankato.

Edit: Rent free eh? Well it may be worth it to commute then, it's your time. But rent free saves quite a bit of cash. I wouldn't worry about the roads.. they will be fine 98% of the time, as 14 gets a lot of travel by semis. They'll plow through anything and are travelling around the clock. Plus I'm sure it gets plowed too.

I just drove 14 to get home a month ago and remember having to drive through Owatonna simply because I had to get on 35 and drive north a few miles. On google maps it looks like they are going to move highway 14 south a few miles. That wasn't done yet when I drove through there a month ago. Interesting to see it under construction on google maps. When it's done, your entire commute should be 4 lane divided highway, with a speed limit of 65, with not having to travel through any towns the entire commute. It will be fine in the winter.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-18-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,867,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
42 miles each way assuming a car gets 25 mpg will cost 11 dollars per trip. Multiply that out times number of trips per month, oil changes, and the time cost of sitting in the car for so long, and I'd say, just pay a little more and live in Mankato.

Edit: Rent free eh? Well it may be worth it to commute then, it's your time. But rent free saves quite a bit of cash. I wouldn't worry about the roads.. they will be fine 98% of the time, as 14 gets a lot of travel by semis. They'll plow through anything and are travelling around the clock. Plus I'm sure it gets plowed too.

I just drove 14 to get home a month ago and remember having to drive through Owatonna simply because I had to get on 35 and drive north a few miles. On google maps it looks like they are going to move highway 14 south a few miles. That wasn't done yet when I drove through there a month ago. Interesting to see it under construction on google maps. When it's done, your entire commute should be 4 lane divided highway, with a speed limit of 65, with not having to travel through any towns the entire commute. It will be fine in the winter.
$11 per trip assumes gas at about $3.27--if I've done my math correctly--for a car getting 25 mpg. But we know it could certainly get higher. At $4 a gallon, it would be over $13 per trip, which can add up quite quickly. Assuming $11 a day for every weekday in a month, that ends up being about $220. It's $260 a month if gas hits $4 a gallon.

That's no including the maintenance costs that you brought up (oil changes can range from $15-30 for the basic ones I've seen). And it also doesn't include lost opportunity (time) with the commute.

I'm not saying that it might not be a wise choice. But with so many other factors, it just seems like being a little closer might be the wiser choice unless they REALLY need that free rent.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM

14,323 posts, read 10,282,587 times
I moved back into town after living 27 miles from work after only one year. My time is to valuable to waste so much of it every day driving, even if the commute was relatively enjoyable with virtually no traffic to deal with. I realize there are people in large cities that have far more miserable commutes in bumper to bumper traffic, but they choose to do that, I choose to live in the same town I work in.

With that said, there are people where I work, 3M, who live as far away as Watertown, 50 miles away, and Sioux Falls, 58 miles away, and make the commute daily. It's all interstate, but still, to me that's insane, especially with a place that's relatively overtime heavy like this one so they may commute more then 5 days a week.

I suppose most people will text and yack in the phone, so it may not be a big deal for them. Or if they are married, (I am single) some may value the peace and quiet of the commute. I use mobil 1 0W30 synthetic and go 5000-6000 miles between changes, but yeah, car upkeep will become expensive too. My car's 11 years old now, I guess I'm the boring type that doesn't need new cars often, but since it still runs great, and a lot of the electical stuff such as failing power door lock actuators and the plastic clips on the power windows I fixed myself with replacement parts for 40 bucks on ebay, I'll keep using it. Still looks great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota