Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times

Advertisements

Iowa is definitely a good suggestion, maybe even extreme southern Minnesota near the Iowa border. You'd still be able to experience four seasons without the brutal winters of northern MN. I'd definitely pass on Georgia. Not only is the crime rate ridiculously high, but the state government is extremely right wing. It will definitely be a major culture shock coming from Minnesota, or any northern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Try moving SE to either the Cities or the SE small towns near Rochester or La Crosse (which are a good 5+ degrees warmerthan the Cities on average during winter). The reason I suggest this is because, if you are a "small town guy", I'd imagine it'd be VERY difficult to assimilate to a new rural culture in other states, but ESPECIALLY the Deep South! If you don't like SE MN and think even that is just too cold for you, try another Midwestern state first before moving even further South. I'd recommend Ohio if you love fall or spring, because that's what Ohio does very well. Its winters and summers are okay, but fall is the season I love most here and it lasts a solid 3 months or so, unlike MN. You don't have to go all the way down to GA to have longer falls.

I do know what you are talking about though with the differences in temps here. Every year I see the Cities fall behind the rest of the U.S. by 2-4 weeks in the spring I just look to Northern MN to see that it could be worse! I'd say the Twin Cities are a good 10-15 degrees warmer on average in the winter. There is also this "urban heat island effect" that keeps the overnight lows more moderate (relatively) and often we are the highest reading in the state in winter or spring as the snow melts faster on the asphalt and such.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
no biggie, winter's almost over and days start getting longer in less than two months. I need to remember to get my lawn mower blades sharpened soon.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 PM

290 posts, read 547,449 times
I'd say move. Get it out of your system so you have the experience and never second guess yourself in the future. But be warned that most people do end up moving back to MN eventually. There is something about the place that draws just about everyone back. No one can explain it.

Just remember that there are tradeoffs. People in MN complain about the heat and humidity of the summer. Granted, many days are bad. But try the ENTIRE summer of those bad days. I am in the DC area and I have the AC on from May until Sept. Never turn it off. Never open a window. It's that bad. We do have longer springs and falls here, but for someone with Viking blood, it's not enough of a tradeoff. The only time I enjoy summer is when I'm in the water. Otherwise, what kind of summer is it when you are trapped inside all the time?

I think anyone living up where you do needs to save up money for at least one trip during the winter to get away from that cold.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Someone mentioned Missouri earlier I believe and I would echo that as a possibility. I lived in Springfield MO (edge of the Ozarks) before moving up north and for someone who wants to still have some winter and snow but not much of it and for someone who likes warmth but not the terrible humidity then the Ozark region is a good choice. Springfield is a large enough city to have job opportunities and home prices and taxes are very reasonable.

You could switch places with me as I wanted to move north as the winters werent cold enough for me... I live about 70 miles south of the Canadian border.

Dan

Old 10-26-2011, 02:57 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
I'd say move. Get it out of your system so you have the experience and never second guess yourself in the future. But be warned that most people do end up moving back to MN eventually. There is something about the place that draws just about everyone back. No one can explain it.

Just remember that there are tradeoffs. People in MN complain about the heat and humidity of the summer. Granted, many days are bad. But try the ENTIRE summer of those bad days. I am in the DC area and I have the AC on from May until Sept. Never turn it off. Never open a window. It's that bad. We do have longer springs and falls here, but for someone with Viking blood, it's not enough of a tradeoff. The only time I enjoy summer is when I'm in the water. Otherwise, what kind of summer is it when you are trapped inside all the time?

I think anyone living up where you do needs to save up money for at least one trip during the winter to get away from that cold.
This is so true. I escaped MN a year and a half ago. I have set up a great life for myself in a warm climate. However, I hear Minneapolis calling my name again in the next few years... ugh, I can't stand the cold.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:37 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,994 times
Coming from an outsider, I actually think the Minnesota winters are great. Where I'm from, the winters are cloudy, it snows a lot but the snow quickly melts, and the air is damp so it really hits you to the core. In Minnesota people actually can enjoy the winter, you can get out and skate outdoors (a novelty for me), you can ski all winter long, the sun shines bright, and I actually like seeing just how cold it can get.

I think Minnesotans don't always appreciate what they have. I think Minnesota winter is actually the best time of the year here. Summers are too hot and mosquito infested, falls are short, springs are wet and muddy, winter is just beautiful though.

Last edited by AGuyFromCleveland18; 10-26-2011 at 10:57 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Someone mentioned Missouri earlier I believe and I would echo that as a possibility. I lived in Springfield MO (edge of the Ozarks) before moving up north and for someone who wants to still have some winter and snow but not much of it and for someone who likes warmth but not the terrible humidity then the Ozark region is a good choice. Springfield is a large enough city to have job opportunities and home prices and taxes are very reasonable.

You could switch places with me as I wanted to move north as the winters werent cold enough for me... I live about 70 miles south of the Canadian border.

Dan
Now Dan, that would make you one of those Southerners I've heard tell of! Both my husband and I are originally from International Falls area-everything is south of there!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Coming from an outsider, I actually think the Minnesota winters are great. Where I'm from, the winters are cloudy, it snows a lot but the snow quickly melts, and the air is damp so it really hits you to the core. In Minnesota people actually can enjoy the winter, you can get out and skate outdoors (a novelty for me), you can ski all winter long, the sun shines bright, and I actually like seeing just how cold it can get.

That's a good point. Winter in many areas of the country is just kind of bleh. The snow melts fast so you are left with cold weather, but brown everywhere. Lakes don't freeze so in the winter they are just kind of there, without any way to enjoy them. Yes, it is warmer and more tolerable, but at least in MN you can get out and do things. I think it's crucial as a Minnesotan to find some winter outdoor activity you like in order to make it out with any sanity. Either that or with a nice travel budget to take frequent trips down south.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 PM

I think one of the the differences between where you live and the Twin Cities is the larger number of indoor things to do in the Twin Cities. Up there, you have the bar, the Wal-Mart, and maybe a movie theater to go into. The rest of the time you are hanging out at home. In the metro area, there are all sorts of things going on and place to go to keep you busy and out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota