Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:35 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times

Advertisements

You could always move to AZ where, like Minnesota, they spend around half the year indoors. Summer there is inhospitable when it is 120* months of the year. Yuck. I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Time to move to Florida.. I've heard it referred to as paradise
Yeah, if you like humidity, it's a paradise. Will never forget getting on a plane in Minny full on with Winter gear on and getting off in Tampa only to be hit by humidity. The orange trees everywhere were cool though.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:24 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I'd prefer a happy medium like eastern Iowa rather then two extremes. But jobs keep me in this ice box.. and it's not so bad.. I can adapt to being a homebody when there's a gym 3 blocks away.. with internet, gaming, and movies.. no sweat. Bring on the below zero weather. Here it's WHITE in the winter, it doesn't melt, from about Dell Rapids, SD northward, anything that falls until late Feb to early March at the earliest... which has it's own beauty.. and GREEN most summers.. not just brown all year long. Another plus. Very little crime, another bonus.. right along interstates where the speed limit is 75 and people go 85-90.. cha ching!

I'd still prefer Rapid City or Denver, but meh... oh well it's not so bad here. The one genuine annoyance I have about Brookings, SD is that it's the only town it's size with so few places to SHOP! Have to drive 50 miles north, or 55 miles south to shop.. a town of 22,000 with no Kohls, Target, Kmart, or Shopko, no Menards, just a Wal-Mart Supercenter, Hy-vee grocery store, Lowes as big chains but we did get a Culvers

Last edited by sholomar; 11-01-2011 at 07:32 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 AM

400 posts, read 294,104 times
I'm 42 and I find that I dislike winter much more now than I did when I was younger. In part, in the past decade I've come to enjoy the outdoors much more, and much prefer being there when the weather is warm and the natural world is most alive and active.

I live in southern Minnesota, though I did spend a few years in my 20s living in Duluth.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:48 PM

161 posts, read 278,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi

Our eastern forecast area goes to Baudette-Bemidji-Park Rapids-Wadena and it is amazing how the trees act to warm it up more on sunny days in the winter than the open prairie and how cold it gets at night as winds go calm quickly in the forests.
I know this is an older thread but the above caught my eye. So forested areas are warmer in the winter due to trees?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 PM

765 posts, read 2,129,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPrincess View Post
I know this is an older thread but the above caught my eye. So forested areas are warmer in the winter due to trees?
I'd imagine that they block the wind to some extent.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:01 PM

161 posts, read 278,566 times
That does make sense.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPrincess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
I'd imagine that they block the wind to some extent.
They may also absorb more heat from the sun due to the fact that they are much darker than the snow (which is white and which I'm sure reflects a lot of sunlight away from the ground).

Old 11-20-2011, 01:05 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtoocold View Post
I'm dreading the thought of Winter coming on, and I'm still a young ripe guy in my twenties.

I've lived all over Minnesota, and currently I'm on the Canadian border. I seem to remember Winter not being so bad around the cities, at least compared to how it gets up here. Am I just remembering fondly? The grass is always greener?
No. You're not just fondly remembering. Winters are getting worse in the eastern 2/3rds of the country. Actually, they're getting worse everywhere. I just moved out of Pennsylvania. The last two winters there were the most brutal I've ever experienced in my life. The freeze-thaw patters of western PA seem to be a thing of the past. Now it's a deep freeze the whole way through. Last winter it did not stop snowing for two months straight. This was followed by a spring where it did not stop raining for another two solid months.

We are returning to the same types of seasonal weather patterns that existed in the 1960's and 70's. It has absolutely nothing to do with global warming. These cycles have been documented and researched for a very long time. I'm not claiming that global warming is a farce however, I'm just stating that the two are mutually exclusive. My point is, that you've got a better chance of seeing God than experiencing a mild winter in Minnesota like you used to back in the 90's. You can forget moving down south either. Unless you place yourself in south Florida (which I don't recommend unless you like tropical downpours everyday in the summer at 4pm), you're gonna have to deal with crappy, chilly conditions in the winter months. For example, Myrtle Beach SC has been consistently getting multiple snowfalls every winter for the past few years. Over the last few decades, that was unheard of for that region.

Your best bet if you want warm weather is to move to southern California, like I did. It's never too hot here in the summer, never too cold here in the winter.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:08 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Winters are getting worse ... everywhere.
I dunno about that. Perhaps compared to the 1990's they're worse, but during the 1970's and early 80's we had plenty of brutal winters in Minnesota, where -25F was common in January and February. Minnesota resembles the surface of Mars in that weather.

I remember driving a pizza truck one cold night in '76 or thereabouts, passing by one of the bank time/temperature signs, and seeing "-38" as I raced by. And, you know, the last customer on my route had the nerve to say, "my pizza's cold!" Ever the consummate professional, I told her to place it in the oven for 5 minutes and it would be fine. I think she tipped me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota