Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:05 PM

161 posts, read 278,511 times

Advertisements

I use a pair of thin gloves (strechie ones) under a warm set of mittens for my kids when they play outside in the snow. Maybe doubling up will help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Choppers? That's what I always wear and they seem to do the trick (as long as they don't wet when I am shoveling, and then they are horrible). But I just wear my leather choppers with the fillers and I love them. Always have a pair around and I can't recall being cold.

"Fingered" mits of any sort will NEVER work because each fingers is by itself so it's impossible to keep them warm.
I think that's the conclusion I'm coming to about fingered gloves, too. Choppers wouldn't work for me, then, because I do a lot of shoveling for the elderly in my neighborhood. My gloves are definitely soaked by the time I'm done!

I may have try doubling-up, as SnowPrincess recommended. I'm not losing heart, though. I'm determined to find something warm. (Mostly for when I'm waiting for buses. In the winter, you never know how late your bus is going to be and you can be outside for quite awhile.)

Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I think that's the conclusion I'm coming to about fingered gloves, too. Choppers wouldn't work for me, then, because I do a lot of shoveling for the elderly in my neighborhood. My gloves are definitely soaked by the time I'm done!

I may have try doubling-up, as SnowPrincess recommended. I'm not losing heart, though. I'm determined to find something warm. (Mostly for when I'm waiting for buses. In the winter, you never know how late your bus is going to be and you can be outside for quite awhile.)
Maybe there are some fingered style mits somewhere that work, but I've always found my fingers get cold and I have to take them out to the big part to warm them up.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:

I have a pair of Columbia mittens that are fantastic. They are 2 in 1 type deal where they came with gloves that fit into mittens or can be worn separately. Gloves don't work for me but these mittens are wonderful. They keep my hands VERY warm and my hands are always cold, even now, inside. I bought them probably 10 years ago and they are still warm, and waterproof!

Columbia | Womens Winter Gloves, Knit Mittens, Waterproof Fleece Glove

They are similar to the whirlbird mittens on this page.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have a pair of Columbia mittens that are fantastic. They are 2 in 1 type deal where they came with gloves that fit into mittens or can be worn separately. Gloves don't work for me but these mittens are wonderful. They keep my hands VERY warm and my hands are always cold, even now, inside. I bought them probably 10 years ago and they are still warm, and waterproof!

Columbia | Womens Winter Gloves, Knit Mittens, Waterproof Fleece Glove

They are similar to the whirlbird mittens on this page.
Wow, those folks are serious about their gloves! I appreciate the link and the recommendation. I'll be looking through the site to see what they have to say.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I lived near Souix Falls for a while, it was at least 10 degrees warmer than my home state of North Dakota. Sounds like what you want is somewhere without any snow. If you are thinking to relocate, you should do it before you wind up married w/ kids. then you won't be able to afford to move

Old 11-30-2011, 06:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
You should explore Colorado, you would have the things that you love about winter, without the frigid temps. Maybe near Vail. Another option is northern Washington state. I visited Bellingham way back in the 70's. My hubby's aunt and uncle lived in the rural area. It was the first time I ever saw a country lane, with cherry trees on either side, and the branches met in the middle, over the road. It was so picturesque, breathtakingly beautiful, and near the coast also. There really are some very glorious places in our US. You should just take a few trips as you can over the next few yrs, and find your favorite location. But, know this...You will always leave a piece of your heart in your home state. What the heck, just move back doen to the cities..........lol

Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
Oh, geez, what's this slippery white stuff all over the road? Didn't we outlaw snow last summer?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Oh, geez, what's this slippery white stuff all over the road? Didn't we outlaw snow last summer?
Sorry. I woke up this morning and realized that I hadn't shut my freezer door properly last night. My bad.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM

161 posts, read 278,511 times
Quote:
Sorry. I woke up this morning and realized that I hadn't shut my freezer door properly last night. My bad.
Bwahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota