Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM

188 posts, read 974,963 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Winnebago next week and staying 2 ( or maybe longer) weeks. What is there to do?? Are there any Wal-Marts ( or other stores) there? (Will have to buy snacks and don't want to have to carry them from home) Hubby will be working all day ( I will be stuck in a motel) so would like to be able to get out when he gets off work or the weekend and travel around. Is there anything close by?? We have never been there and are going to be completely lost when we get there...LOL.. Sorry for all the questions..but I cannot find out anything on line.. :Thanks for any suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Winnebago is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. I am going to GUESS that there is NOT a Walmart or anything like that in Winnebago but you will be able to find something in Fairmont, which is not far from there. There is probably a small grocery store in Winnebago but maybe not. North of Winnebago is Mankato. Mankato has a large, nice shopping mall and periphery stores (Kohl's, etc.), movie theaters, etc.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
There's a Walmart in Blue Earth which is really close to Winnebago. I don't think Blue Earth has a theater but Fairmont and Mankato do. As far as things do to I'd probably head toward Mankato for shopping and dining out. I used to live in Fairmont and there's not a lot beyond the standard discount stores.

There's a state park near you and I know there's some bike trails you can go to although I'm not sure where.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
There really is nothing to do in Winnebago. The nearest Walmart is in Blue Earth, about 10 miles away. Mankato, which is about 30 minutes away, has your typical generic chain restaurants, big-box stores, and movie theaters. It's pretty culturally bland, despite being home to a large university. Mankato does have some nice scenery and bike trails, though. You could try visiting the state parks and/or bike trails in the area . . . the area has some really beautiful prairie.

Minneapolis-St. Paul (the "Twin Cities" or "the Cities") and Ames, IA are both about 2 hours away from Winnebago. The Cities has all the cultural attractions you'd expect from a major metropolitan area, and Ames is a really sweet college town (home of Iowa State University), and has a really unique academic town scene, with independent restaurants, coffee shops, live music, etc. If I were you, I'd head for one of these places.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
There is nothing to do in Winnebago. I have been there quite a bit over the years as my grandparents live there (although now they've escaped during winters for Arizona...). You're unlikely to find, well, anything worth seeing. Unless you like walking around small towns and checking out the very few stores they have?

There's a Casey's gas station that is supposed to have basic grocery stuff. Across the street from that is another grocery place. But both of these are supposed to be quite a bit more expensive than other places. I know my grandparents drive to Mankato to do most of their shopping.

There's a Walmart in Blue Earth and Fairmont. You could probably visit these towns for a BIT more life. But don't expect much of anything to be going on no matter where you are. That entire region is VERY sleepy.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:34 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
You must really love your husband. I hope he appreciates the sacrifice you'll be making?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
If you check out the cemetery just north of town most of the markers are from the
1800s and are really intresting

Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.. Guess we had better stop at the nearest Wal-Mart for goodies before arriving at motel...and guess I had better make sure to take my crochet, computer, WII and maybe some board games and cards..LOL..at least there are some stores nearby. Since we have never been there, it still should be interesting (???). One question I didn't ask was..How is weather?? Does it warm up during the day or is it just cold?? Just kinda wondering what type of clothing to pack..Thanks!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Jeans, sweatshirts, a medium weight coat. You may be comfortable in a lighter weight long-sleeve shirt. I probably wouldn't do short sleeves but I like long sleeves inside.

Frankly, I'm surprised Winnebago has a hotel.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM

Frankly, I'm surprised Winnebago has a hotel.[/quote]

Me too..LOL..Think there is an AmericInn?? Or something like that. Will find out more by the end of the week on where we are staying.. Maybe they will put us in a neighboring town?? As long as motel has internet guess I will be ok.
Just dreading the 17 hour drive!!! Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota