Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,124 times

Advertisements

Ok, So I moved here from Alabama not too long ago, and I am ready to leave. I came here with a job, not knowing much about the state or it's people. The people are as cold as the weather, the passive aggressive behavior is the worst! Not only that, but immigrants from other countries seem to adopt that behavior, culture, what ever you want call it. In Alabama we have Latino people (not as much), and they are some of the nicest people I have met, very nice outgoing culture, very friendly, and I've met plenty when I lived in California and New York. They all seemd to retain that nice friendlyness about them. HERE! is a different story, they act like Minnesotans....cold, bit unfriendly (although not as much as the natives) and it's something I just find sad, that they've lost part of them and have adopted the "Minnesotan way". I talk about other people, since Latinos and blacks are the only ones I tended to sociolize with in Alabama and NY, Cali. But from what I've seen most act like that anyway. The only people who seem to have retained a part of themselves are black people. It's sad... You would never see Latinos and other cultures act this way outside of MN

And yes, I do plan on leaving...

Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern18 View Post
Ok, So I moved here from Alabama not too long ago, and I am ready to leave. I came here with a job, not knowing much about the state or it's people. The people are as cold as the weather, the passive aggressive behavior is the worst! Not only that, but immigrants from other countries seem to adopt that behavior, culture, what ever you want call it. In Alabama we have Latino people (not as much), and they are some of the nicest people I have met, very nice outgoing culture, very friendly, and I've met plenty when I lived in California and New York. They all seemd to retain that nice friendlyness about them. HERE! is a different story, they act like Minnesotans....cold, bit unfriendly (although not as much as the natives) and it's something I just find sad, that they've lost part of them and have adopted the "Minnesotan way". I talk about other people, since Latinos and blacks are the only ones I tended to sociolize with in Alabama and NY, Cali. But from what I've seen most act like that anyway. The only people who seem to have retained a part of themselves are black people. It's sad... You would never see Latinos and other cultures act this way outside of MN

And yes, I do plan on leaving...
wait...stop...please don't go

Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
At first, I thought this was the same old, "Minnesotans don't like me" thread, but I see that you mixed in some bigoted, racists comments that give it some degree of uniqueness.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
At first, I thought this was the same old, "Minnesotans don't like me" thread, but I see that you mixed in some bigoted, racists comments that give it some degree of uniqueness.

Racist? How? I am white, and I said nothing negative about Latinos or blacks in regards to their skin color, or culture...

Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
I moved here from Maryland in March and think the people here in Las Cruces are nothing but the friendliest people I have ever met. I am in the food business and the only gripe I have is and can honestly say, 99% of the people I wait on don't say PLEASE! lol!

Old 10-31-2011, 02:11 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Minnesotans are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Perhaps the OP should ask themselves if they are doing anything to offend the people around them.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:24 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
You're right, Minnesotans can appear very stand-offish and clique-ish at first. It's very very difficult to break into someone's group of existing friends as most Minnesotans know people from kindergarten! You'd be amazed at how many of them go to the same school, university and even end up working at the same company! I found it extremely difficult to make new friends when I moved there as I tend to be very upfront about my feelings and opinions and a lot of Minnesotans can't handle that. The passive-aggressive thing is a way of life (and I assume a way to survive those months of winter where everyone is shut up together) . Many people up there will say things like, " Oh yes I'd love to do xxxxx," and then mysteriously have excuse after excuse not to until you finally figure out they didn't mean a word of it. Try not to take it personally - it's just how they are.

Don't give up too soon. There are "normal" Minnesotans out there I promise. It just takes time and effort to locate them. Have you tried attending any local meetup.com groups for "immigrants" to the area?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern18 View Post
Ok, So I moved here from Alabama not too long ago, and I am ready to leave. I came here with a job, not knowing much about the state or it's people. The people are as cold as the weather, the passive aggressive behavior is the worst!
Minnesota is a large and varied state.

Where is "here"...?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:52 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
... wait cant think of one yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota