U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,116 times

Advertisements

My company is relocating me to Saint Paul within the next year. The suburbs of Richmond, Virginia have been my home my entire life. It's just me -- no husband, no children. I will be working AND living in Saint Paul...probably Summit Hill. Let me say that I am EXTREMELY excited about moving there. I'm a little nervous about the climate difference, but know I can acclimate to that. It appears to be a lovely place and am looking forward to the new environment.

There has been more than one person that has said it will be hard for a woman from the South to get acclimated or be accepted in the Twin Cities area and would be likely to generally be disliked for being an outsider. Also that it would be difficult to make friends. I'm not so worried about "being accepted" or fitting in so much, as I am about sticking out like a sore thumb. Is it really that bad for out-of-staters or more particularly, Southerners? I have also heard that just hearing a Southern accent will make people dislike you (which mine is very slight). LOL

Looking for genuine, honest answers from some natives. Thanks a lot!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,258,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis82 View Post
My company is relocating me to Saint Paul within the next year. The suburbs of Richmond, Virginia have been my home my entire life. It's just me -- no husband, no children. I will be working AND living in Saint Paul...probably Summit Hill. Let me say that I am EXTREMELY excited about moving there. I'm a little nervous about the climate difference, but know I can acclimate to that. It appears to be a lovely place and am looking forward to the new environment.

There has been more than one person that has said it will be hard for a woman from the South to get acclimated or be accepted in the Twin Cities area and would be likely to generally be disliked for being an outsider. Also that it would be difficult to make friends. I'm not so worried about "being accepted" or fitting in so much, as I am about sticking out like a sore thumb. Is it really that bad for out-of-staters or more particularly, Southerners? I have also heard that just hearing a Southern accent will make people dislike you (which mine is very slight). LOL

You'll be fine. Some people mistake every "you're not from around here, are you?" comment as some sort of judgement or suggestion that they should leave, instead of the random curious small-talk it usually is.

Minnesotans do perhaps tend to be less outgoing than in some other areas of the country, so you might have to work a little harder and seek out people with similar interests. But if you are friendly, open-minded, and easy-going, then you should be in a great position to have a lot of fun.

(as a side note, I'm convinced that many of the people who post on here about MN folks being stuck-up or unfriendly are either (a) abrasive jerks themselves, or (b) living in the wrong part of town...i.e. young and single living in a suburb full of middle-aged families with 4 kids)

Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 PM

127 posts, read 315,389 times
First off, let me give you a pre-welcome to MN. You'll be fine if, like 1stpontiac said, you aren't an abrasive jerk. As for your accent.... I don't know where you heard that it would hinder you in any way but most of my friends love the accent no matter how slight. It actually brings more interest to you. We're so used to hearing our "non" accents that it is a breath of fresh air to listen to someone else speak that is slightly different from us. Just be patient and you will be fine.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,172,864 times
I think you'll probably get a lot of mileage out of your southern accent! Run with it! I think most people around here are going to find it attractive, and it will be an automatic marker that you're not from Minnesota, so it will be an easy conversation starter. And don't see that as a criticism -- people are going to ask you where you're from to express interest and as small-talk, not because they don't think you should be here! Prepare to have people ask you WHY you moved to St. Paul, though, especially in the winter! But you certainly won't be the only one around from elsewhere; lots of people in the Twin Cities are from other places, or even if native Minnesotans, have lived other places. If I met you I'd probably ask you where you're from, because I'm snoopy like that and because I'm genuinely curious.

FWIW, when I lived in Virginia people used to tell me that I fit in well with the south, as my native Minnesotan aversion to being too brash and in-your-face fit in well with the local culture.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 AM

23,559 posts, read 14,079,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis82 View Post

I believe the Twin Cities is the #1 destination for young, professional women now. I think you have been hearing some myths. Personally, I love southern accents, especially the Virginia accents and I think others feel the same. I think you are going to have a harder time with Minnesota accents LOL.

Winter is going to be a different experience for you. Living in the Summit Hill area parking is going to be difficult and make sure you learn about the snow plowing restrictions or you car will be towed after a big snowfall.

Summit Hill is a really beautiful part of St Paul. You'll love the walks and the people. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM

11,333 posts, read 24,139,797 times
Women with southern accents are a rare commodity in the Twin Cities, and that by itself will give you advantages. Folks will be able to tell you're from out of town without asking (which is normally a positive thing, I think), and it might also work well as a built-in conversation starter.

Assuming you have an accent, of course. I shouldn't assume, I know...

Edit: Duh, uptown_urbanist said the same thing, but better. I should read the entire thread first.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,817,966 times
I think the accent will definitely help. I know many people who like southern women with just slight accents. It sounds charming. I'd tend to agree...there's something very calming and nice about just a slight southern accent. My aunt has one (to be honest, I'm not sure where she grew up, but she lives in Indiana now) and it just makes her seem like so much nicer (not that she isn't already a sweet lady!).

Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,674,881 times
Ditto to what all the other previous posters have said. I would also add that the best way to acclimatize is to NOT hide out in the house your first winter. Dress appropriatly for the weather (in layers) explore to your hearts content your "new home" and make your own mark on it. Adapting to the cold will take a bit of time but you will have a much easier time of it your second winter.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:03 AM

161 posts, read 260,146 times
Not in MN but I am from Va Beach, VA and was born in Richmond,VA. I live in Michigan now and the people here (MI) were pretty much jerks about my accent. I want to relocate to MN and it is nice to know that I won't have to deal with buttheads if/when I do move. Good Luck to you.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 AM

198 posts, read 460,767 times
Love the Southern accent! It's exotic, and something about hearing it immediately lowers blood pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota