Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 6,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
My thoughts exactly! I almost did a double take thinking I recognized the blonde girl in the picture, then just realized that it just brings back memories of my 1990s high school/college year.

Still, even if time has moved on, jeans and coats still rule the day, even if today it's all North Face and the jeans cut is different. The kids at Carleton (or wherever) are going to look the same as the kids in California, just dressed in more layers.
Either way, I'm sure I will bring new blood to the school if I end up transferring! And I know schools like Carleton love to have students in different perspectives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,826 times
If you are thinking about majoring in math and thinking about Carleton, you should probably also consider St. Olaf. They have an absurdly large number of math majors, looks like they graduate 60 or 70 a year.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
More seriously, here are a couple pictures of what students wear in the winter up here:

Those are actually from North Dakota State (near and dear to my heart), but you get the idea.
NDSU is also near and dear to my heart (as I went there my freshman year), but those pictures make it look positively wonderful in the winter. Right before the major flooding in 2009, there was a terrible storm that dumped probably close to a foot and a half of snow. Worst, though, was that it's so windy in that area that there were drifts over some buildings. I remember having to walk to the dining hall. Normally a five minute walk ended up taking me nearly a half an hour battling the wind and walking in the middle of the roads on campus (where a few cars had bravely cut some tracks). That was a great time since we had two days off for the blizzard, the next week was spring break, the following week was canceled to help prevent the town from flooding, and the week after that was a flood recovery week. All in all, nearly a month off.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
NDSU is also near and dear to my heart (as I went there my freshman year), but those pictures make it look positively wonderful in the winter. Right before the major flooding in 2009, there was a terrible storm that dumped probably close to a foot and a half of snow. Worst, though, was that it's so windy in that area that there were drifts over some buildings. I remember having to walk to the dining hall. Normally a five minute walk ended up taking me nearly a half an hour battling the wind and walking in the middle of the roads on campus (where a few cars had bravely cut some tracks). That was a great time since we had two days off for the blizzard, the next week was spring break, the following week was canceled to help prevent the town from flooding, and the week after that was a flood recovery week. All in all, nearly a month off.
That is a fair point...the wind on campus could be brutal. I lived in the LLC (the first one) for a couple years and walking from the music building to the dorm was a nasty slog down a windtunnel on some days. Even getting from the West Dining Center across the parking lot was not fun on the coldest days.

My girlfriend at the time (wife now) and I would walk over to a church just west of campus on Sunday mornings and one time on the way back, it was so cold we stopped in Minard Hall to warm up (I had a key, as I graded for the math dept at the time). After finally making it to the dorm we checked the weather and realized the wind chill was below -40F. Brrr.

But don't worry, Vladimir, you'll be fine! Plus, you'll have lots of cool, tough-guy, "back in my day..." stories like these to impress your CA friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota