Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I was referring to its metro area.

I don't know why, but I guess I'm just high on Rochester's future. I think it's possible that I'm overplaying Mayo Clinic's reputation as the 2nd best hospital in the country/world, but I think you may be underplaying it as well. Healthcare is NOT going away, unlike steel and other manufacturing, it's difficult to export it.
I think you are overplaying the impact the Mayo Clinic will have on the Rochester population, but you are right about the reputation of the clinic. I think the proximity to the Twin Cities will also stunt Rochester's growth unless MN as a whole sees a huge boom in population. IBM probably has more of a chance of impacting the growth of Rochester than Mayo.

The Mayo Clinic has been around for over 100 years. It is world famous and much of Rochester is there because of that clinic but it isn't going to get THAT much bigger that Rochester is going to get that much bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
I've always been curious about Rochester with it's fast growing population and jobs. However, there is nothng there to draw me there.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I think you are overplaying the impact the Mayo Clinic will have on the Rochester population, but you are right about the reputation of the clinic. I think the proximity to the Twin Cities will also stunt Rochester's growth unless MN as a whole sees a huge boom in population. IBM probably has more of a chance of impacting the growth of Rochester than Mayo.

The Mayo Clinic has been around for over 100 years. It is world famous and much of Rochester is there because of that clinic but it isn't going to get THAT much bigger that Rochester is going to get that much bigger.
Actually, the Mayo Clinic employs 34,000 people in Rochester alone. Construction is set to begin on a new cancer center that will bring in more jobs. There is a new building for support currently being built. I would say at least 75% of downtown Rochester is Mayo or Mayo is part of. There is always growth happening with Mayo. The number of IBM employees is not increasing but rather very slowly decreasing as many of the jobs are held by contractors.

I do not think that Rochester will reach some of the high populations suggested, but the growth is estimated to be around 140,000 by 2030. It's not looking good for the high speed rail to come here anytime soon either as there is not an existing rail line linking the Twin Cities and Rochester.

I would not call Rochester a bland city. Much of the older buildings that have character have been demolished for new buildings which of course makes it less unique. However, you can still find some of the older, beautiful buildings. Rochester's beauty lies in the parks, the rivers, the old neighborhoods, parts of town you might not see if you aren't looking.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 AM

620 posts, read 1,746,146 times
While still a quality medical center, the Mayo Clinic is vastly overrated and tends to rest on it's inflated reputation. Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Northshore, U of Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt and U of Wisconsin among others are the true innovators.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
While still a quality medical center, the Mayo Clinic is vastly overrated and tends to rest on it's inflated reputation. Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Northshore, U of Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt and U of Wisconsin among others are the true innovators.
What is this ridiculous spout? It's #2 and highly regarded in the medical field. In the top 5 is also UCSF and one in Boston. Cleveland Clinic rates ITSELF #4 overall, so unless you know something they don't....

Old 12-21-2011, 02:56 PM

I think you are using U.S. News as the source of your ratings - which is fine. My thoughts are based on what I hear/see from high level individuals in the research and medical profession. Who would you trust more?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
I think you are using U.S. News as the source of your ratings - which is fine. My thoughts are based on what I hear/see from high level individuals in the research and medical profession. Who would you trust more?
What methodology are they using to come to their conclusions?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
What methodology are they using to come to their conclusions?
Experience gained from working in these institutions.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
There is a HUGE banner here in Cleveland that hangs over Carnegie Ave where the Cleveland Clinic is that says something to the effect of: "The Nation's #4 Hospital". Two people in my immediate family are physicians (Father: Chief Trauma Surgeon; Sister: Anesthesiologist Resident.......both at UCSF) -- I trust them as reliable sources more than you (no offense).

Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Experience gained from working in these institutions.
Yes, that's what I would expect, but you're still talking about subjective opinions even if they're relatively informed ones.

As we like to say in the software industry: Every expert has an equal and opposite expert. I'm sure there are equally qualified folks who have different opinions. That's why different rating agencies try to use what few relatively objective criteria they can find.

Such opinions are useful, and probably accurate as far as they go, but without knowing how they came to those conclusions, I'm not sure those opinions are all that useful except perhaps as general guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota