Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:11 PM

9 posts, read 43,599 times

Advertisements

I agree with the small towns like Stewartville etc. not too far from Rochestor and the NO TRAFFIC PROBLEM.. I think you woulod like the area of Rochestor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 21,681 times
If you are looking for a place to live in Minnesota, Rochester is definately a ++++ choice. I moved to Rochester from a very small town after graduating from high school for the purpose of attending college. 9 years later, I left Rochester and moved back to my hometown because I was going through a divorce and felt a need to "get away". Honestly, I've regretted it, and missed living there, ever since. I have finally convinced my 2nd husband to move back to Rochester, and we will probably be moving within the next year. I cannot tell you how excited I am! I'm already looking at jobs and willing to do a whole lot of driving if necessary.

The schools are great, although like someone else mentioned they are having budget issues, just like every other school in the country. They have a great park system for kids, and it's just a nice small city with lots to do. It always feels very clean and friendly. Of course, there are places in town that aren't that nice, like anywhere else, but NW Rochester has really exploded. You mentioned a willingness to commute, and Lake City (30-ish miles NE of Rochester) is also very nice, and worth checking out. I also always thought Stewartville (10-15 miles South of Rochester) seemed like a nice town, but I'm not that familiar with it. Oronoco and Pine Island (10-ish and 20-ish miles North), are also pretty nice, although I'm not as familiar with Pine Island either. Oronoco will probably be a Rochester suburb in the near future rather than a separate small town.

Anyway, don't know if this helps and sorry if I got carried away. Rochester is a great place; can't wait to be back!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 25,902 times
hello everyone - I will be moving to Rochester in January. I will be working at the IBM corp and was wondering if anyone could give me advice as where I should find an apartment. I just want a one bedroom or an effiiecency for a reasonable price. I wouldn't mind driving 10 minutes if there is a small town near the NW side of rochester where IBM is located. If anyone has ideas please let me know!

Old 10-29-2006, 04:05 PM

5 posts, read 13,342 times
My wife and I are moving up there to Rochester sometime late next month (November) and will be looking to rent a house till we get settled, nothing expensive but in a fairly good area. We are hoping to spend around $700-$800 on a at least 2 bedroom.
It would be best to be close to the north side of town.
Are there any prospects around there?
We are moving from south Texas.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:30 PM

17 posts, read 103,520 times
I live in Wisconsin now but also grew up in a small town outside Rochester (Chatfield). The town is still small and it's about a 20 mile commute but the small town living is worth it~~plus the savings in real estate prices. The school is also great~went there myself. It has the Root River running through it, lots of trees, old style main street and not a lot of brick & mortar wherever you look. I guess that way of growing up is why I live in a town of 500 people now and am so happy to be away from "city" life.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,284 times
Try Cannon Falls. Its about 45 miles north but a lovely small community, with a great school system and an easy commute

Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 23,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecats View Post
Let me pop in with a suggestion to look at the small towns surrounding Rochester. These were all farm towns not so long ago but with the demise of the farms, there are many nice old houses available in these towns and some real sense of community. There are excellent 4-lane roads for commuting in to Rochester and lots of folks do it. (although Minnesota winters can make driving hazardous on any surface!) Some towns even run a run into the Mayo Clinic, the hospitals, IBM, downtown, etc.

It's classic small town. The high school athletic contests are the highlights of the week and a trip to the Dairy Queen is a treat. BUT....
the Twin Cities are about a hour away and Rochester itself is an incredibly sophisticated town for its size - about 100,000 now.

Check out Stewartville, Byron, Kasson, Mantorville (my recommendation!), Pine Island, Eyota, Dodge Center....

I'm not a real estate agent - just an old farm girl who grew up in the area!

Couldn't agree more here. I got out of Rochester to get my kids in a smaller school. Ended up in kasson. Great choice. Kasson and Mantorville have great character and everything you need so you don't have to go to Rochester for anything except to work. A 4 lane highway takes you right to Mayo clinic. And you can't beat the school system. When you talke to a realtor, be sure to ask about seeing homes in the Kassson-Mantorville area.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:09 AM

5 posts, read 25,801 times
can anyone tell me whats wrong with the se side of town?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 AM

3 posts, read 15,815 times
Wink Try Lake City, MN

If you are looking for a beautiful, safe, family-centered small town then Lake City, MN is for you. There is a lovely marina there full of sailboats and a walking path next to Lake Pepin. You would only be a half hour from Rochester and your wife could work at Lake City Medical Center. Starting pay for a new RN is around $23 per hour.
HTH

Old 08-29-2007, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 21,275 times
I live in rochester, born and raised lived in the twin cities for school for 7 years. You will have no problem finding a house in that price range in and around rochester. If planning on living out of town I would suggest living anywhere other then west on hwy 14 for the only reason is driving into the sun going to work into rochester and the same coming back home! nice towns west byron, kasson.
SE is not that bad of an area it is just pretty small area that is not the best place IMO. I would not be afraid to walk anywhere in the city but I am a bigger guy to.
NE seems to be the most quickly developing area.
South is Stewartville nice town about 20 minutes outside of town
North is Pine Island smaller town then Stewartville and developing as well, about 15 min outside of town.
I know quite a few trustworthy realtors if you need to helped out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota