Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,487,597 times

Advertisements

For most of the years I've been here (the 60's till now), Minnesota has had a small net outmigration. This help dampen competition for housing. If it weren't for the house-flippers, people who want houses to sell to someone else, the prices would be even lower. I think TV exposure (starting with Mary Tyler Moore?) has penetrated the image of a frozen tundra a little, so I don't know if it is exactly like the 60's. But any place that is considered ideal is just naturally gonna inflate. And let people with money to blow (Japanese in Hawaii in the 80's), and things can really take off. But so far Jessica Lange is the only celebrity I know of who tried to hide here (and she's from The Range). We all can hope this never changes. The more buzz freaks show up, the more the culture will decline. We have a ghost of a chance so long as we're considered Flyoverland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,111,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Because (outside the Metro), 'Diversity' has not driven prices up (yet). In other places, people are desperate to get away from "them", and pay accordingly. Social stratification and escaping undesirables previously did not loom large in the lives of Minnesotans. But that's about to change. In Minnesota, "they" only recently arrived, and real estate prices have yet to catch up.
Interesting. How does this explain the low (relatively) real estate prices in the Atlanta metro?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 9,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Interesting. How does this explain the low (relatively) real estate prices in the Atlanta metro?
I'm originally from Atlanta and I'm guess all the foreclosures have caused the low prices. I own a house there and I can't hardly give it away.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,487,597 times
Georgia is an interesting story. They had a governor who was going to control real estate speculation. The real estate industry brought in big money to get rid of the governor, then got rid of his laws. And so Georgia got hit worse than just about any state in the meltdown. The voters basically brought it on themselves. Someone stepped up to protect them, and they swatted him down.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,111,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneilson View Post
I'm originally from Atlanta and I'm guess all the foreclosures have caused the low prices. I own a house there and I can't hardly give it away.
No. Prices here were 20-30% lower than the Twin Cities before the real estate crash.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,636,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
For most of the years I've been here (the 60's till now), Minnesota has had a small net outmigration. This help dampen competition for housing. If it weren't for the house-flippers, people who want houses to sell to someone else, the prices would be even lower. I think TV exposure (starting with Mary Tyler Moore?) has penetrated the image of a frozen tundra a little, so I don't know if it is exactly like the 60's. But any place that is considered ideal is just naturally gonna inflate. And let people with money to blow (Japanese in Hawaii in the 80's), and things can really take off. But so far Jessica Lange is the only celebrity I know of who tried to hide here (and she's from The Range). We all can hope this never changes. The more buzz freaks show up, the more the culture will decline. We have a ghost of a chance so long as we're considered Flyoverland.

I remember back in 1973 Time or Newsweek ranked Minnesota the best overall state to live in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota