Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:56 AM

30 posts, read 53,277 times

Advertisements

This sounds EXACTLY like my type of thing. That and snow-shoeing! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:59 AM

Yep! The earthquake thing is a bit crazy for us living so close to so many bridges around here. In addition, no one seems to worry about them at all around here despite the warnings of seismologists.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 AM

Are all of these activities and "amenities" (plowed bike trails?! awesome...) every where around Minnesota or just mainly in/around Twin Cities?

Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 AM

Thanks for the info on that article you read about Mankato. I have been following news, particularly editorials (just to get a feel for local opinions) for the past 6 months or so. I get a feeling that immigrants are also sort of marginalized there but that is true here in this "progressive" city as well...although it is more of a passive-aggressive marginalization in these Pacific NW parts. I'd like to think I could help change a prejudiced climate or educate people about certain issues--no matter where I live. But when I visit Mankato, I'll be sure to "feel out" certain topics with the locals as best I can!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:25 AM

Default Mankato

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I remember being shocked when reading the story of a gay teen who came out there 10 years or so ago; he (and his family) faced all sorts of discrimination. Not everyone in the community was like that, of course, but I was surprised that it could be like that in a college town in the early 2000s. I have no experience with Mankato and perhaps it's very welcoming and that was a fluke and times have changed (or perhaps there are just enough decent people that i doesn't matter), but that story just stuck in my head because it was SO different than the culture you find in SW Minneapolis or St. Louis Park.
I think this is the article from the Mankato Free Press . . .particularly interesting because the young man's family was so involved in the Lutheran church.

Local family in documentary on gays, religion » Local News » The Free Press, Mankato, MN

Thanks for the heads-up!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,152 times
You're coming from Seattle, Mankato and St. Peter are wonderful, but if you want something comparable in size to Seattle than I'd recommend St Louis Park. But if you're looking for something smaller and trying to get away from big metros than I would recommend Mankato. Mankato has tons of hills and it's right in the valley and it's pretty beautiful there, although nowhere near as beautiful in Washington or the Pacific Northwest in general (and I'm not biased born and raised Minnesotan)

I don't really know anything about St Louis Park besides the fact that I was born there so I won't comment pretending to know what I am talking about.

Mankato has a place called Sibley Park and its perfect for younger kids. In a few years it would be a wonderful place to take your son to. City of Mankato, Minnesota: Sibley Park

The City of Mankato website is an excellent place to find out about parks and all that. http://www.mankato-mn.gov/Parks/ServiceArea.aspx

I would check out St Peter if you do consider Mankato, it's a lovely town, but it comes down to individual preference. I would choose Mankato myself if I had to choose between the 2 only because I prefer bigger over smaller and I need as many stores and restaurants as possible. I drool over cities like Chicago. But if I was house hunting myself and stumbled upon the perfect home and it happened to be in St Peter I may very well choose St Peter myself. I don't care for driving back and forth for work and the gas adds up, than driving there to do your shopping, it's only 10 minutes and it's a beautiful drive in between the towns but I myself would prefer to just live in Mankato.

And St Peter did have a scary tornado in 1998, not trying to scare you or anything. I wouldn't worry about it, it's like worrying about getting in a car crash every time you get in your car. Sure it can happen, but the chances are very very slim.
You can read about the Tornado here 1998 Comfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by akronbball View Post
I am curious about why people are recommending St Peter over Mankato? Wouldn't Mankato have what they are asking for? I'd like to be closer to work and in a little larger city than St Peter.
Some people just prefer smaller towns. If your moving to Mankato I would definitely check it out even if you think you do prefer larger cities since it's only 10 minutes and you may just happen to fall in love with it.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Default Thanks...

I'm not exactly sure how to respond to individual post, but here goes...

Thanks so much to this information. The thing is that my husband loves big city stuff and I am quite the opposite! So Mankato might actually work for us. After a while, the restaurants and "unique" people and "culture" and shopping just aren't that interesting to me after a few months of exploring a city--much prefer trees, lakes and birds!

Seattle and surrounding are SO beautiful. But, unless one has a very high salary, living here and actually enjoying it all can be kind of tricky. And of course, the lack of sun drives some people mad--literally!

Tornados are scary but I agree. Earthquakes are kind of the same probability but the likelihood to several collapsing bridges and a lack of power and resources for several days (no bridges=no gas, food or emergency workers for quite some time). That, and tsunami possibility and the city's seeming lack of preparedness is terrifying!

You know the Boy Scout motto--Be prepared! That's me!

Thanks again,
Jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
You're coming from Seattle, Mankato and St. Peter are wonderful, but if you want something comparable in size to Seattle than I'd recommend St Louis Park. But if you're looking for something smaller and trying to get away from big metros than I would recommend Mankato. Mankato has tons of hills and it's right in the valley and it's pretty beautiful there, although nowhere near as beautiful in Washington or the Pacific Northwest in general (and I'm not biased born and raised Minnesotan)

I don't really know anything about St Louis Park besides the fact that I was born there so I won't comment pretending to know what I am talking about.

Mankato has a place called Sibley Park and its perfect for younger kids. In a few years it would be a wonderful place to take your son to. City of Mankato, Minnesota: Sibley Park

The City of Mankato website is an excellent place to find out about parks and all that. City of Mankato, Minnesota: Parks

I would check out St Peter if you do consider Mankato, it's a lovely town, but it comes down to individual preference. I would choose Mankato myself if I had to choose between the 2 only because I prefer bigger over smaller and I need as many stores and restaurants as possible. I drool over cities like Chicago. But if I was house hunting myself and stumbled upon the perfect home and it happened to be in St Peter I may very well choose St Peter myself. I don't care for driving back and forth for work and the gas adds up, than driving there to do your shopping, it's only 10 minutes and it's a beautiful drive in between the towns but I myself would prefer to just live in Mankato.

And St Peter did have a scary tornado in 1998, not trying to scare you or anything. I wouldn't worry about it, it's like worrying about getting in a car crash every time you get in your car. Sure it can happen, but the chances are very very slim.
You can read about the Tornado here 1998 Comfrey

Some people just prefer smaller towns. If your moving to Mankato I would definitely check it out even if you think you do prefer larger cities since it's only 10 minutes and you may just happen to fall in love with it.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:24 AM

Default St. Louis Park Neighborhoods--close to Park Nicollet?

Looks like the job in SLP is the better of the two (vs Mankato). So...Any good neighborhoods that are walkable with bookstore/library, park, grocery, coffee/bakery and very FEW strip mall/big retail stores nearby (shopping is not my thing) Park Nicollet Hospital or anywhere in SLP...won't be visiting now until next month. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
Jen,
Most of SLP will suit your needs. Of special attention will be Minikahda Vista, Browndale and the areas off Excelsior West of 100. The neighborhoods off highway 7 and Minnetonka blvd and 100-Lake are also nice for convenience if you enjoy a walkable area. As will West End - but htat is more larger retail than it sounds like you are interested in.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for this! That is really helpful advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Jen,
Most of SLP will suit your needs. Of special attention will be Minikahda Vista, Browndale and the areas off Excelsior West of 100. The neighborhoods off highway 7 and Minnetonka blvd and 100-Lake are also nice for convenience if you enjoy a walkable area. As will West End - but htat is more larger retail than it sounds like you are interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota