Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,800 times

Advertisements

Yes,
Quote:
3 hour & 31 minute NFL football broadcast there was only 11 minutes & 42 seconds of football played
isn't like "watching paint dry."

I like the Queens and I may tune in for the occasional MNF or SNF game as well, but sitting through such brainwashing via excessive commercials, again, just rubs me the wrong way far too much.

Frankly I could care less if Joe "Fatboy" Couchpotato cares about European Football, but the way the incessantly degrade it likewise rubs me the wrong way, and I find them really sad more than any other sports fans - especially when these grown men are putting makeup on for the games as well. lol

I also lol when I see so many fatboys playing football (OL or even DL), and you never see a lard playing European football, ever. Heck, even Jamarcus Russell turned into a lard and he played QB; another serious problem displayed there with the character of WAY too many NFLers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medalofhonour View Post
Hello guys,

I am originally a Brit who moved to Minnesota a couple of months ago. I wouldn't be a Brit if I weren't a hardcore soccer fan. The British Premier League and the European Soccer League games are something that I wait for week after week.

And now to get a taste of American Soccer and watching some talented American players in the British Premier League (Dempsey, Bocanegra, Howard to name a few), I have decided to start following Major League Soccer.

I do not usually start following a team without watching their game, their passing style and other technicalities of soccer. However, I would still like to know if there is some particular team that most soccer fans in Minnesota follow, since there is no local team from Minnesota playing in MLS.
check out Brits Pub in downtown Minneapolis to get your football fix. to answer your question, 99.9% of Minnesotans couldn't name another MLS team much less engage you in any meaningful soccer dialogue.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:50 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Houston Dynamo!

Join the Texian Army!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
I have some cousins that were adopted from Korea that live in a small town near Rochestor, MN and they play soccer, and love watching it on TV. They also love american football, hockey, basketball, and baseball too. And a few years back they were hosting a foreign exchange student who knew like nothing about american football, and when he learned it and watched it and played it himself, he grew to love it!

I'm a pretty casual fan, not some super die hard, but I know how the game works, can name all of the MLS teams, and can casually discuss it with other fans. I'm not some super die hard that knows every little fact such as how many goals each person on my favorite team has scored in their whole career or how many or what college each individual player went to, but I know enough, and I know what the California Clásico is I pretty much only watch MLS.
I also never played soccer growing up or was exposed to it much, and I like it as much as I like american football or hockey or baseball or basketball or golf or tennis. I pretty much like all sports equally, can't really choose favorites.

Commercials in american football don't bother me that much. But during a very close basketball game near the end of the 4th quarter when coaches are calling nonstop timeouts and it seems like it takes 20 minutes to play 2 minutes and theres like a billion commercials, than I go crazy And I suppose in american football when a player on your favorite team is on the ground and you don't know if he is injured or how bad he is injured, and they cut to a commercial, that is annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've been hearing for more that 40 years about the impending ground-swell of youth soccer and how it was going to be the next best thing. Those youth soccer players from the 60s and 70s are now watching their grand-kids grow up and US soccer is still a donkey in a four-horse town.
Yeah it'll probably always be that way, and thats ok. Theres enough room for all sports to coexist peacefully. There are plenty of niche things I absolutely love that most people have probably never heard of. The Neo Geo is one of my favorite video game consoles of all time! If I were to go out on the street and ask 100 people, how many of them would have even heard of such a thing? And if I were to tell them how much the console cost when it came out and that games were like $200 each, they'd probably think I was making it up, or that I am crazy, or both

Last edited by Radical_Car; 10-09-2012 at 11:39 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 AM

Biggest (and best) sporting event on the planet is without a doubt the World Cup which is played every four years. 'Nough said. If you don't like soccer, watch it. It might change your outlook on the game.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Biggest (and best) sporting event on the planet is without a doubt the World Cup which is played every four years. 'Nough said. If you don't like soccer, watch it. It might change your outlook on the game.
I've tried. Didn't work. For me it's all about grass-roots. I have a tough time following a sport that I wasn't exposed to early on as a child. I also have a hard time following it if I didn't play it - I have a hard time appreciating it. It's also hard for me to follow with no prideful affiliation.

I will agree it's probably the biggest sporting event (besides Olympics) in the world. Every other country follows this religiously, besides the USA, which is slowly gaining momentum.

Like I've said - If I had a team to root for as a kid, and I had a youth program, I would have probably tried to play (Growing up I tried it all- Basketball, Baseball, Football, Hockey, Track, Cross Country, Golf, Tennis) Ironically, those were all sports that had youth programs.

Heck, I had a hard time following the Wild for a long time, simply because I had fallen out of good graces with the NHL. I didn't care for it. I didn't have a team to cheer on pretty much my entire childhood (age 6-14 without NHL team). But I was still a giant hockey fan because I played as a child, had the Gophers to cheer for, and it's what we did in the winter to have fun.

That brings me to my next point. Maybe it's because of our climate here. It's not really a sport that can be played with snow, ice and bitter cold temps.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I've tried. Didn't work. For me it's all about grass-roots. I have a tough time following a sport that I wasn't exposed to early on as a child. I also have a hard time following it if I didn't play it - I have a hard time appreciating it. It's also hard for me to follow with no prideful affiliation.

I will agree it's probably the biggest sporting event (besides Olympics) in the world. Every other country follows this religiously, besides the USA, which is slowly gaining momentum.

Like I've said - If I had a team to root for as a kid, and I had a youth program, I would have probably tried to play (Growing up I tried it all- Basketball, Baseball, Football, Hockey, Track, Cross Country, Golf, Tennis) Ironically, those were all sports that had youth programs.

Heck, I had a hard time following the Wild for a long time, simply because I had fallen out of good graces with the NHL. I didn't care for it. I didn't have a team to cheer on pretty much my entire childhood (age 6-14 without NHL team). But I was still a giant hockey fan because I played as a child, had the Gophers to cheer for, and it's what we did in the winter to have fun.

That brings me to my next point. Maybe it's because of our climate here. It's not really a sport that can be played with snow, ice and bitter cold temps.
That's one of my prior points. If you grew up playing it - loving it like I did - you can't help but be attracted to it as "spectator." I reckon that's partly why hockey is so much more disliked in warmer climates, America and elsewhere. I love hockey probably more than any other sport; but I grew up in the coldest state in the Continental U.S. - the hockey capital or America, literally the neighborhood, on the East Side, home of "America's Coach," Herbie Brooks.

I honestly can say though that after hockey playing soccer was the best fun, followed by basketball.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 AM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
There is another thread about the possibility of MLS in the Twin Cities: //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...ts-mls-14.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota