Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 06:47 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,320,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Prince's solo on "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" with the masters is such a riot, both in terms of skill and showmanship, that I keep it on My Favorites. Whenever I want to get a grin on my face and in my heart I just cue it up. Maybe it's inappropriate to grin during a memorial but how can you help it listening to these guys play? And notice the subtle and gentle interaction between him and Dani. Nice!
Yes, love that solo. And Dhani certainly had a BIG smile on his face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 08:48 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Aside from those already mentioned...

Atmosphere- hip hop
Dan Rodriguez- folk/pop
Rocket Club- country

Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonoob View Post
Nobody has mentioned Dylan yet? Wow!

And my personal favorite MN band, After the Burial:

Speaking of Bob Dylan, I have a story for you Minnesota people.

There were quite a few interesting items online after the death of 50's/60's star-Bobby Vee, Though born in Fargo, North Dakota, Vee's career kicked into high gear when he came into Minneapolis and went to the studios of Soma Records to record his first chart hit-"Susie Baby." And while Vee started a band and played the clubs there he befriended Bob Dylan and over the years established a long term friendship with him. It was a friendship that stayed all the way. On Dylan's 2013 tour Dylan played in St. Paul at Midway Stadium. He introduced Vee to the crowd as Vee was there. Dylan's tribute to him was Bobby's hit "Susie Baby."

In a few of those articles Bob Dylan said that his most meaningful relationship in his music career was the one he had with Vee. Think about that for a second! Here is a sampling of collaborations with other top drawer rock stars regarding lp's, concerts, etc. that Bob Dylan was involved with.

Travelin' Wilbury's--George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, and Tom Petty

Nashville Skyline LP--Johnny Cash

Bangladesh Benefit Concert-Madison Square Garden 1971--George Harrison, Leon Russell, Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, and many others.

That's pretty elite company. I don't know how many years Bobby Vee lived in St. Cloud but I'll bet it's a couple decades or so. It's sad that Vee isn't in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame but IMO he merits consideration.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-15-2017 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 09-17-2017, 08:36 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,320,354 times
Monroe Crossing is a decent bluegrass band that has played internationally. All but one are native Minnesotans, if I remember correctly.

And, of course, Trampled By Turtles are liked by some.

I was told that Dennis Morgan is one of the top writers for Nashville singers. He lives near Tracy, MN.
http://www.dennismorgansongwriter.com/bio.php

Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,340,858 times
A well crafted pop tune from the mid 2000's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCjO...&feature=share

Before being part of The Owls, Brian Tighe was in The Hang Ups (arguably my favorite local band of the '90s due to their criminally underplayed cd 'Second Story'). Here's early Hang Ups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSF4...&feature=share

Old 09-20-2017, 06:36 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,340,858 times
In addition to great music with Rogue Valley, Chris Koza has released great solo material too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyOp...&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiUW...&feature=share

Old 09-21-2017, 07:42 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,185,409 times
Leo Kottke.
He is not from Minnesota originally, but in mid 70's his parents lived in same neighborhood as a friend in Minnetonka, Mn. I saw somewhere while looking him up he lives in Minnesota now because his parents do still. He is a acoustic guitar player. My good friend from back then had the album with the armadillo on the cover. She was a excellent player herself and I remember being at "jam sessions" she had with other players in the basement of her mom's home, it still memorable today. Rip "R", Arlene.

https://youtu.be/ma0Fa9t6vh4

Last edited by Izzie1213; 09-21-2017 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-21-2017, 08:51 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Leo Kottke.
He is not from Minnesota originally, but in mid 70's his parents lived in same neighborhood as a friend in Minnetonka, Mn. I saw somewhere while looking him up he lives in Minnesota now because his parents do still. He is a acoustic guitar player. My good friend from back then had the album with the armadillo on the cover. She was a excellent player herself and I remember being at "jam sessions" she had with other players in the basement of her mom's home, it still memorable today. Rip "R", Arlene.

https://youtu.be/ma0Fa9t6vh4

yeah, he's one of us

glad you brought him up, a very unique artist and great to experience him in concert if you ever have a chance. I have many of his albums including "The Armadillo Album" (6 and 12 String Guitar), his first.

There was an older PBS show (Home & Away) devoted to Leo and included some scenes at his (Wayzata?) home, I have it recorded on a well-worn VHS tape that has seen it's better days and the show has been recently reissued on DVD with additional scenes and music.

Unofficial Leo Kottke Web Site, Recordings: Leo Kottke - Home &amp Away Revisited

Remembered decades ago when the new Minneapolis phone book would arrive the first thing I'd do is to look up and see if Leo was still listed and he always was. Now I hear he lives in Downtown Minneapolis.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 AM

1,548 posts, read 912,409 times
The Jets, The Time, "St. Paul" Petersen (released a solo album outside of the Time and The Family).

Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
...my favorite version of a song about what "could be" a girl we all knew from Minnesota

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota