Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:04 AM

459 posts, read 2,227,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Give Clear Lake, Iowa a look. It's located right on a large lake and has a quaint, well-kept uptown area. It has immediate access to I-35 and is 20 miles to the MN-IA border. As a educator and a parent, you'll appreciate Iowa's outstanding public schools.
What do you know...Mason City, Iowa, located 8 miles east of Clear Lake, is looking for an elementary principal.

Mason City Community School District - General Science - 9-12 (broken link)

Old 02-11-2008, 05:36 PM

62 posts, read 192,494 times
Default MN Native

I was born and raised in Stillwater and have always really liked it here. The schools are great and your right on the St. Croix river where you can camp on the islands, canoe, kayak ect. And there are many St. Parks for hiking within 20 minutes.

I LOVE afton and if I were staying in MN it would be my dream place to own a home. It's so lovely out in the woods, yet close to St. Paul and even closer to Husdon WI for groceries and such.

Marine on the St. Croix is similar and also nice.

I think growing up in MN was great because I got a very good education and was surrounded by intelligent, good natured people. Unfortunately, after 26 years of freezing every winter I am planning to move to Oregon where I will be able to enjoy the woods and outdoors year round rather than seasonally. The people around the Portland area seem like they will be a good fit coming from MN, educated, liberal and environmentally aware

Old 02-14-2008, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,490 times
Have you considered Mankato? "Larger" Minnesota city(well, at least for down here) with all the small town charm. Several universities and wonderful school district.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,998 times
Wabasso is the place to be.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM

7 posts, read 14,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood & Creek View Post
I was born and raised in Stillwater and have always really liked it here. The schools are great and your right on the St. Croix river where you can camp on the islands, canoe, kayak ect. And there are many St. Parks for hiking within 20 minutes.

I LOVE afton and if I were staying in MN it would be my dream place to own a home. It's so lovely out in the woods, yet close to St. Paul and even closer to Husdon WI for groceries and such.

I think growing up in MN was great because I got a very good education and was surrounded by intelligent, good natured people. Unfortunately, after 26 years of freezing every winter I am planning to move to Oregon where I will be able to enjoy the woods and outdoors year round rather than seasonally. The people around the Portland area seem like they will be a good fit coming from MN, educated, liberal and environmentally aware
I read that Oregon has the fast-growing group of Skinheads in the nation!
(I also love it there but don't think I could take the incessant rain and
clouds--I bet we get more days of sunshine here in MN!). Good luck!
Jim

Old 07-25-2010, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,914 times
Winona is a nice town as long as you don't have kids in school. Their public high school is a joke, and I wouldn't want my kids running with some of those crowds. The town and surrounding areas are beautiful though (Lewiston, Stockton, Minnesota City, Rushford, St. Charles, Witoka) and its nice to be near the river and bluffs. My personal favorite is just outside of Rochester in a small town called Eyota. Its small town living at its best, but close enough to Rochester for shopping and night life.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabasso_is_awesome View Post
Wabasso is the place to be.
Wabasso sucks. My grandma lives there and my family usually visits her around once a month. If you want to be in Southwest Minnesota Marshall is the best, unless you want a really small town with nothing, then I guess Wabasso could be good... Wabasso isn't any different then any of the other small towns around that area like Lucan and Milroy and Vesta.

Though no, Wabasso is not the trendy place to be... you sound like all my aunts and uncles who have lived in Redwood County their whole life who have never left the area.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:04 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood & Creek View Post

Winters in Portland are no picnic. Damp and cold. 40 degrees there feels like 20 degrees here. Believe me, you won't "enjoy" the winters there any more than in Minnesota. However, you'll be in your element with the liberal overeducated aloof, yet functionally inept residents of our northwest.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
However, you'll be in your element with the liberal overeducated aloof, yet functionally inept residents of our northwest.
Wowwwww, whats so bad about people from Portland and what did they do that made you so bitter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota