Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM

29 posts, read 59,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Others have mentioned this, but I thought I'd reiterate that you can find some very safe places around the U. If you live near the St. Paul campus at the family coop housing run by the University, you'd be in a very safe place and have access to a lot of great amenities. Technically campus and much of the housing is actually in Falcon Heights, but the two blend there so seamlessly that you can't tell. Additonally, I believe there's a bus that runs right up into Roseville so you could go to the (relatively) big mall there, plus suburban-style shopping and chains (Target, Applebee's, Best Buy, AMC, etc.)

I've been using the crime map that @kebinminn posted a link to, to compare when searching for apartments and found a big selection of
great, affordable apartments and even some houses. Falcon Heights is one of the best choices as you guys pointed out, como park area as well.

Quote:
I have a friend who is doing exactly that. His connections at the U (plus hard studying of course ) earned him a very prestigious clinical study experience abroad in Europe and he is applying to a very select group of schools for clinical psychology all around the nation (though he's focusing on the Midwest, so he may even be passing up some of the good coastal schools). I'd definitely make sure you give the University of Minnesota a look because their psychology programs always seem to rank quite high.
That's incredible We were both excited to hear about the quality of education!

Quote:
While we certainly are one of the most expensive in the region (I mean, how many big cities are there in the Upper Midwest?), we're hardly one of the most expensive in the country. Minneapolis' cost of living is about 4 percent higher than the national average, according to Sperlings. I think you'll find New York, San Francisco, LA, Miami, etc. rank from slightly to much higher.

I have to agree. I looked up apartments in Manhattan, they range from $2,100 for a 1B to $10,000+ for a 3B. San Fransisco $1,300 for a studio to $4000-9000+ for a 3B. Boston ranges from $1,200 for a studio and anywhere between $2000-8000+ for a 3B.

Last edited by tenaciousb; 12-03-2012 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: quotes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaciousb View Post
What kind of water activities are there in the St. Paul area?
The St. Croix River (between MN and WI) is very scenic, particularly north of Stillwater. It's a great float/canoe ride in the summer. Check out various State parks along it.

Almost everyone skates on lakes/ponds in the winter growing up, but it's fun for all ages once you learn. Waterskiing is popular too.

If you're into canoeing and camping you should check out the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) in Northern MN.

Quote:
I hear that there are a lot of mosquitoes during the summer, what about other common bugs? Are cockroaches roaming around during the summer? *shiver*
No roaches (can't survive the freeze), but plenty of mosquitos. Others here can inform you better, but I think the spraying is very effective in the TC so it's more of a nuisance outside of the metro area.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
The St. Croix River (between MN and WI) is very scenic, particularly north of Stillwater. It's a great float/canoe ride in the summer. Check out various State parks along it.

Almost everyone skates on lakes/ponds in the winter growing up, but it's fun for all ages once you learn. Waterskiing is popular too.

If you're into canoeing and camping you should check out the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) in Northern MN.
Oh, so beautiful!!

Ice skating..Definitely going to fall on my ass a few times before getting the hang of it

Quote:
No roaches (can't survive the freeze), but plenty of mosquitos. Others here can inform you better, but I think the spraying is very effective in the TC so it's more of a nuisance outside of the metro area.
Thank you for the information

Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
German cockroaches can survive inside buildings ... we had them in the dorms at Mankato State in 1981-82 (McElroy E4), and we had races with the ones we'd catch in a tape circle on the floor until the univerisity had the place fumigated that Christmas and took our games away.

No native poisonous insects or spiders, no fire ants, no termites (tho there are carpenter ants), no palmetto bugs like we have here in Atlanta. The Twin Cities metro is well-sprayed for skeeters, and gnats tend to be a much larger problem north of the Twin Cities. The only issues we had in Minnetonka growing up were the occasional swarms of box elder bugs, and the occasional paper wasp nest.

No army worms in the Twin Cities, either. My wife was VERY happy to hear that.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
German cockroaches can survive inside buildings ... we had them in the dorms at Mankato State in 1981-82 (McElroy E4), and we had races with the ones we'd catch in a tape circle on the floor until the univerisity had the place fumigated that Christmas and took our games away.

No native poisonous insects or spiders, no fire ants, no termites (tho there are carpenter ants), no palmetto bugs like we have here in Atlanta. The Twin Cities metro is well-sprayed for skeeters, and gnats tend to be a much larger problem north of the Twin Cities. The only issues we had in Minnetonka growing up were the occasional swarms of box elder bugs, and the occasional paper wasp nest.

No army worms in the Twin Cities, either. My wife was VERY happy to hear that.
Oh my...No way I haven't seen a cockroach in years but last time I did, I performed Olympic jumps to get away from the creature...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM

I have a question that came to mind after reading older posts on the Minnesota forum.
Everybody has been helpful and friendly here, but on the thread "is it really hard to make friends in Minnesota?" (or so) quite a few folks said they had very negative experiences, and that they couldn't form good, lasting friendships in Minnesota due to people there being standoffish, not particularly helpful and even rude. The niceness is superficial, they say. In your experience is that true? Clearly there are rude and unpleasant people everywhere, but would you say it is generally harder to form good, close friendships in Minnesota or are just quite a bit sour people who paint a negative picture?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I have a question that came to mind after reading older posts on the Minnesota forum.
Everybody has been helpful and friendly here, but on the thread "is it really hard to make friends in Minnesota?" (or so) quite a few folks said they had very negative experiences, and that they couldn't form good, lasting friendships in Minnesota due to people there being standoffish, not particularly helpful and even rude. The niceness is superficial, they say. In your experience is that true? Clearly there are rude and unpleasant people everywhere, but would you say it is generally harder to form good, close friendships in Minnesota or are just quite a bit sour people who paint a negative picture?
I think the fact that Minnesota is a fairly "sticky" state (people who grew up there tend to stay there) plays a larger part in that than the idea that Minnesota is somehow full of insular standoffish people.

On the contrary ... At least in my experience living in the Twin Cities and in a smaller town in western MN, Minnesotans are generally polite and helpful. If you're stuck on the side of the road, someone will stop to help, and they will generally do it just to be helpful. It's a nice thing to do. If I help someone, maybe later on they'll help someone else, and so on. At least that's why I do it.

However, many of us had a pretty large ... or at least established ... circle of friends by the time we left college, so we aren't necessarily actively seeking more friends.

Let's use me as an example. I grew up in a middle class home in Minnetonka, a Twin Cities suburb, met maybe a dozen fairly close friends in college, and kept expanding that circle of friends for the better part of 20 years. Most of the new folks were people from work, or whatever, and there wasn't really any limit or pressure to not bring in new people, but at the same time we didn't need to go out of our way to meet new people, either.

I've since moved to Atlanta (in 2004), so my wife and I had to start over from scratch down here, and for the most part people down here seem similar to people I knew up there. I'm not sure I see much difference. Then again, I wasn't a "newcomer" up there as in someone from another state. I don't think that would matter? Didn't to me.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I think the fact that Minnesota is a fairly "sticky" state (people who grew up there tend to stay there) plays a larger part in that than the idea that Minnesota is somehow full of insular standoffish people.

On the contrary ... At least in my experience living in the Twin Cities and in a smaller town in western MN, Minnesotans are generally polite and helpful. If you're stuck on the side of the road, someone will stop to help, and they will generally do it just to be helpful. It's a nice thing to do. If I help someone, maybe later on they'll help someone else, and so on. At least that's why I do it.

However, many of us had a pretty large ... or at least established ... circle of friends by the time we left college, so we aren't necessarily actively seeking more friends.

Let's use me as an example. I grew up in a middle class home in Minnetonka, a Twin Cities suburb, met maybe a dozen fairly close friends in college, and kept expanding that circle of friends for the better part of 20 years. Most of the new folks were people from work, or whatever, and there wasn't really any limit or pressure to not bring in new people, but at the same time we didn't need to go out of our way to meet new people, either.

I've since moved to Atlanta (in 2004), so my wife and I had to start over from scratch down here, and for the most part people down here seem similar to people I knew up there. I'm not sure I see much difference. Then again, I wasn't a "newcomer" up there as in someone from another state. I don't think that would matter? Didn't to me.
Thanks for your reply
That makes sense. When you have a close group of friends you grow up with you usually don't actively seek new friendships, but from what I understand it's not that people in Minnesota are particularly closed up to new people, but that newcomers to Minnesota should just initiate more to create friendships

Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply
That makes sense. When you have a close group of friends you grow up with you usually don't actively seek new friendships, but from what I understand it's not that people in Minnesota are particularly closed up to new people, but that newcomers to Minnesota should just initiate more to create friendships
As with everything, it's going to depend on who you're dealing with, and it may also depend on how you approach being a newcomer. As has been mentioned here on C-D in the past, for example, a lot of loud or boastful behaviors might be seen differently in the midwest than they might be in, say, Texas or New Jersey or any other stereotypically loud region.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply
That is exactly the right way to handle it! I am a 50+ year old woman from Alaska (though originally from northern MN). I spent most of this last summer right down in the area of the U Of M, while undergoing medical treatment. Trust me, I stuck out like a sore thumb. In some parts of the country that would paint me as a pretty easy target for crime. My husband who detests (even panics) at any kind of crowded conditions spent part of the summer there with me (in a heatwave no less). I walked everywhere, every day within about a four mile radius, if my husband was with me he joined me. I never had a speck of trouble at all. Of course I didn't go out alone at night but there was always lots of people out and about (students) at all hours. Under the quite distressing circumstances that brought us to the area, we still managed to have fun. I enjoyed all the different little stores and the shop keepers. I still stop in at one of the gas stations down there to chat with the owner when I am down there. He was a real hoot and we struck up an unlikely friendship. There is a little Mid Eastern grocery store I used to go in. The owner still knows me by name and what I most likely came in to buy.

Go for what is the best option for the education you want. Do not be afraid to approach a new community with an open mind. I think people are people the world over and only the locations change.

I forgot to add that I was quite impressed with the bus transit system. There are also bikes available (for public use) with the stands all over to park or go.

Last edited by freezengirl; 12-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Additional commentary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota