Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times

Advertisements

So this is just for fun (you like fun, right?) I am just wondering if we partitioned off us (MN) and the Dakotas could we viably be a country?
  • //pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • We produced more wheat than any place on the planet not long ago

We produce a ton of dairy and poultry here (we lead the country in turkey production)//pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • We produced much of the iron America used to fight WWII from the Iron Range

The Dakotas have an abundance of natural resources - namely oil - and the lowest unemployment rate in 'Merica//pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • We have the most important inland freshwater ports on the continent on the North Shore//pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • We are one of the best educated state's in America - we have some of the best and innovative international companies in the world here as well

Again, have fun with it. Not meant to incite or insinuate I would advocate this - of course it would never happen anyway. Economics majors replies would be interesting, so, have at it...

Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Sorry for the bad point presentation.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Why?
What a stupid idea. IMO

"Not meant to incite or insinuate"
whatever. The very discussion or thought invites strong emotion and some hard reality's that will bring spirited debate..

Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
We have all of those things because we are part of the United States. If we succeed from the Union, the Mississippi and other rivers would be closed at the border, Lake Superior would be closed at the entrance in MI. There goes our free shipping channels .

Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Why?
What a stupid idea. IMO

"Not meant to incite or insinuate"
whatever. The very discussion or thought invites strong emotion and some hard reality's that will bring spirited debate..
A little hypersensitive?

Can't say even the SLIGHTEST politically incorrect thing 'round these parts - EVEN JUST FOR THE FUN OF THE THOUGHT OF IT - without someone getting their feelings hurt. Sheesh.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
New Germany

this is a great idea, I'm pretty sure we still got a few of those ICBM's stashed underneath some of those haystacks out in the Dakotas...that alone would ensure that the rest of the US sends us lots and lots of foreign aid so that we don't do anything CRAZY

I'm also pretty sure we'd have a chance to win a trophy case full of national sports championships as an added benefit.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Lake superior would still be open to all.
Our border is no where near the canal/locks and it extends into lake superior in only a small area of the lake
It is already international waters, we share it with Canada.

Our state ling goes from Duluth up the north shore to Isle Royale.
we have a smaller chunk than WI or MI or Canada.

See that line that goes up the north shore and ends by Isle Royale.
that is our border/state line

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Lake Superior would be closed at the entrance in MI. There goes our free shipping channels .

Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,425 times
We'd have oil

Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Well because, this topic has been popular all over the forum, kicked like a dead horse and it is just a bunch of dreaming and chest pounding.

What a fun place it would be if we all agreed all of the time,
but that's not realistic.

The only one with hurt feelings is you because I didn't agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
A little hypersensitive?

Can't say even the SLIGHTEST politically incorrect thing 'round these parts - EVEN JUST FOR THE FUN OF THE THOUGHT OF IT - without someone getting their feelings hurt. Sheesh.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Well because, this topic has been popular all over the forum, kicked like a dead horse and it is just a bunch of dreaming and chest pounding.

What a fun place it would be if we all agreed all of the time,
but that's not realistic.

The only one with hurt feelings is you because I didn't agree with you.
Not really. I think I've agreed with you on some issues 'round here (maybe not?) but why when someone opens a thread the first knee-jerk thing people tend to hear is "close it"? That's childish, IMO.

That's my only issue. Mods can see fit to do so (you are not a mod). At least you see that, yes, this discussion is going on on other parts of the 'Net.
My thought was could we do it and make it a healthy (smaller) economy on this continent...It's an interesting thought at least to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota