Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,469,662 times

Advertisements

Watching a group of three people today on the LRT made me wonder what are some of the best phone packages in Minnesota. They all got off a plane and were busy for the whole trip catching up on stuff on their smart phones. I did think of disturbing their telephonic reverie to ask what they paid a month, but I decided not to. Did think "I could post it on City-Data to see what people are doing". So many smart phones o ut there now, and the people focused on them don't all look like corporate types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,024,881 times
It's certainly not just corporate people anymore. Over 50 percent of cell phone users now have a smartphone. As for the best plans...well...it's a bit like deciding who is the best person to hack off your leg. They're all pretty expensive, really.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,267,229 times
I agree, packages are just expensive. I would say that 90% of our kids' friends all have smartphones. I have one too. Most of our friends have one as well.

We use Verizon because they have the best coverage in our area.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM

It was really shocking when I studied abroad in the fall of 2011. I was in England and listening to people talk about the price they paid on their phones. It was ridiculously low. Many were on contracts where they got the subsidy for the phone like we do, but paid just a fraction. I think most of my friends there with smartphones were paying about $45 a month for everything. Their data was a bit more capped, but WiFi was ridiculously universal (I couldn't believe how many networks would pop up in any given area) so you could hop on those.

I'm on AT&T here and don't have any issues. I'm still on my family's plan as I was in college when I last upgraded, but it seems an individual plan for me is going to run somewhere in the range of $90+ every month. Yikes.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,422,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
It was really shocking when I studied abroad in the fall of 2011. I was in England and listening to people talk about the price they paid on their phones. It was ridiculously low. Many were on contracts where they got the subsidy for the phone like we do, but paid just a fraction. I think most of my friends there with smartphones were paying about $45 a month for everything. Their data was a bit more capped, but WiFi was ridiculously universal (I couldn't believe how many networks would pop up in any given area) so you could hop on those.

I'm on AT&T here and don't have any issues. I'm still on my family's plan as I was in college when I last upgraded, but it seems an individual plan for me is going to run somewhere in the range of $90+ every month. Yikes.
On the flip side, T-mobile is going to try the non-subsized route....you'll be able to buy the iPhone for their system for ~$600, but then you'll get an unlimited talk, text, and data (2GB at high-speed) for something like $50/mo. Might be a nice option if you can live without upgrading your phone every year (or find somewhere else cheaper to get them).

Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM

812 posts, read 2,170,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
On the flip side, T-mobile is going to try the non-subsized route....you'll be able to buy the iPhone for their system for ~$600, but then you'll get an unlimited talk, text, and data (2GB at high-speed) for something like $50/mo. Might be a nice option if you can live without upgrading your phone every year (or find somewhere else cheaper to get them).
I'm not sure with T-mobile specifically but with some of these prepaid smartphone plans you can bring your own unlocked phone and then just pay for the SIM card which is a buck or two.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I've heard of this, but I wonder if it will get much traction. T-Mobile is dead last in subscriptions and I don't know what could be done to boost their numbers. Americans are programmed to like their discount and likely don't realize they're paying a fee to make up for that subsidy every month.

I'd probably go the unsubsidized route if it weren't for the fact that it's T-Mobile offering it. Their network still lags behind the others and it'll be quite a while before they roll out LTE coverage.

The prepaid companies of the world offer good value, but you typically have to either to deal with their limited selection of phones or bring an unlocked phone (with the most popular phones such as the iPhone locked to networks AT&T).

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,469,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I agree, packages are just expensive. I would say that 90% of our kids' friends all have smartphones. I have one too. Most of our friends have one as well.

We use Verizon because they have the best coverage in our area.
This what makes me wonder. I ride transit all the time. What I see a lot of is every kid with a smart phone and most IMMIGRANTS with one. I'm struggling to figure out the economics. With the immigrants, I'm figuring that's the only phone service they have. Centurylink land service isn't that cheap anymore, which may help sell the smartphone who don't want two phone numbers.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,267,229 times
Quote:
That is pretty much what ATT and Verizon have now too. You get a base plan for however many phones and add whatever data you want to the plan. We have 6 people on our plan, 5 smartphones with 8GB of Data. Each phone after the basic plan is only $9.99 but then you pay extra for the data too. It's expensive no matter what you do .

Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,422,662 times
I've avoided going the smartphone route so far because I'm sure once I do, it would feel impossible to go without. And our simple, dumbphone talk-only plan is only $60/mo for 2 phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota