Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,014,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Oregon once sold all spirits in stores owned by the state. You had to have the state ID to get a bottle of booze. Not sure how it is done these days, but I've never felt alcohol hard to come by in this state. Offsale stores all over the place. THOSE I know don't close. Where I live, if I wanted a bottle of whiskey on Sunday, I think I could walk two blocks.

Edit: For now, gotta take that back. Tried to find the hours online, couldn't, visited Zipps Liquors on Franklin, said closed Sunday. So I guess if you're planning to imbibe on Sunday, you might need to stock up on Saturday.
Off-sale is exactly what is closed on Sunday. If you want to have a drink, you either have to have purchased on Saturday or hit up a local bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,651,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Off-sale is exactly what is closed on Sunday. If you want to have a drink, you either have to have purchased on Saturday or hit up a local bar.
I think you can buy the 3.2% swill from grocery stores on Sundays.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM

413 posts, read 759,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I think you can buy the 3.2% swill from grocery stores on Sundays.
You can buy 3.2 at grocery and convenience stores on Sundays, and usually til midnight most days.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,014,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
You can buy 3.2 at grocery and convenience stores on Sundays, and usually til midnight most days.
Hmm. I wasn't even aware of this, though I wondered how convenience stores would stop purchases when it's not in a separate area. Of course, then you have to drink 3.2...

Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Hmm. I wasn't even aware of this, though I wondered how convenience stores would stop purchases when it's not in a separate area. Of course, then you have to drink 3.2...
Not every store sells 3.2 beer. A lot of SA's in the metro area do.
I've often heard the theory that 3.2 doesn't actually exist. That it's actually regular beer, and that it's cheaper for major breweries to just pay the fine if caught than to reconfigure their equipment to make 3.2 beer for the handful of places that have weird laws like this. Especially when I see Heineken for sale at the local SA.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,125,609 times
Convenience stores are not allowed to sell alcohol on Sundays.
No alcohol can be purchased on Sundays in MN.

DFL Senator Roger Reinert introduced a Sunday sales bill back in 2011, but the bill didn't pass the finance committee so he's giving it another try. Every state that borders Minnesota allows for Sunday alcohol sales and Sen. Reinert says 2013 is the year to change the law.

Sen. Reinert said the bill will be introduced the first week in February, but he doesn't expect any more progress to be made than the last time he tried in 2011. The Commerce Chairs of both the Senate and the House said they don't intend to hear the bill.
http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/s2914892.shtml

Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Convenience stores are not allowed to sell alcohol on Sundays.
No alcohol can be purchased on Sundays in MN.

DFL Senator Roger Reinert introduced a Sunday sales bill back in 2011, but the bill didn't pass the finance committee so he's giving it another try. Every state that borders Minnesota allows for Sunday alcohol sales and Sen. Reinert says 2013 is the year to change the law.

Sen. Reinert said the bill will be introduced the first week in February, but he doesn't expect any more progress to be made than the last time he tried in 2011. The Commerce Chairs of both the Senate and the House said they don't intend to hear the bill.
WDIO.com - Duluth Lawmaker Wants Liquor Sales on Sunday
That's not true. Convenience stores can absolutely sell 3.2 beer on Sundays, but I believe it's a municipal or county ordinance. Liquor, wine and "strong" beer can't be sold. They can also sell 3.2 beer until midnight in many cities even though liquor stores close at 8, 9 or 10. I've purchased 3.2 on Sundays before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota