Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 AM

27 posts, read 69,592 times

Advertisements

My wife and I bought a bottle of wine the other day and were charged a 9% sales tax on top of the federal excise tax of $1.07, and the state excise tax of $0.95.

I am only sensitive to this because in MA, where I am most recently from, the state tried to impose a sales tax on top of the excise tax that they already receive and the voters in MA revolted.

Do people in MN know that they are being charged 2 separate sales taxes for all their beer, wine and liquor?

more links to excise taxes: http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/wine.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Alcohol taxes in Minnesota are high compared with neighboring states. We have a number of other ridiculous alcohol laws here. A lot of them are rooted in an anti-alcohol mentality that exists in Minnesota, where that tax is informally called a "sin tax."

I suspect these laws will (very) slowly change as craft brewing becomes a larger piece of the economy. But it won't be easy. There is a very entrenched liquor lobby that insists on doing things the old way and sorely needs dismantling. I would like to see Sunday and grocery store sales like most states have. It's pretty ridiculous in 2013 to not offer these things.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Well, yeah, I figured there was an extra tax or two on top of standard sales tax because the tax rate seems to be around 10% (give or take a percent or two), instead of 7%.

I never really worried about it though, because it doesn't seem to vary much if any by location (within Minnesota).

It makes sense to me because alcohol is regulated and regulation costs money to administer. It only affects those who choose to buy alcohol, so it can be thought of as a user tax.

Don't want to pay the tax? Don't buy alcohol.

Want to buy alcohol? Pay your tax.

Seems fair enough to me.

I don't see what craft brewing has to do with the retail sales tax--it applies equally to beer from anywhere. The craft brewers are more invested in fighting the rigid producer/distributor/retailer separation we have here.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
My wife and I bought a bottle of wine the other day and were charged a 9% sales tax on top of the federal excise tax of $1.07, and the state excise tax of $0.95.

I am only sensitive to this because in MA, where I am most recently from, the state tried to impose a sales tax on top of the excise tax that they already receive and the voters in MA revolted.

Do people in MN know that they are being charged 2 separate sales taxes for all their beer, wine and liquor?

more links to excise taxes: http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/wine.pdf

The general sales tax I think is something like 7.125%. The 2% sales tax on alcohol was to be used for the domed stadium. It was going to be a tax on bar drinks of about 11% total, but bar owners complained, so the tax was split between bars & liquor stores at, I think, 9.125%.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 AM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
I have much less of an issue with the taxes than I do with the stupid blue laws about Sunday sales and selling alcohol in grocery stores.

There was also a minor controversy in Eagan last year about allowing liquor stores to stay open until ten p.m. Monday through Thursday, with some stores supporting it and some not (the ordinance had been that they were required to close at eight p.m. on those days). I try to shop at the ones that are open later in order to show appreciation for what they're doing.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
I thought Sales Tax in MN was 6.875 but it also depends on Local Muni's

Here is a calculator: Sales Tax Rate Calculator

Now they want to Tax Clothing I hear.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
I have much less of an issue with the taxes than I do with the stupid blue laws about Sunday sales and selling alcohol in grocery stores.
I get the impression that many liquor store owners would rather things stay as they are.

We just had votes all over the state of Georgia about Sunday sales, and it passed almost everywhere, so I would be surprised if the same wasn't true in most areas up there. The hard part is probably getting it to the voting stage in the first place.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
It is really dumb for MN not to sell on Sundays. I live in a border town and can tell you that loads of people go over the border on Sundays to purchase alcohol in WI. Why would we want to pass up on the fat tax the state collects and give it to WI? Not too bright.

Go sit at a liquor in Prescott, Hudson or Superior on a Sunday and look at the MN plates roll in.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I get the impression that many liquor store owners would rather things stay as they are.

We just had votes all over the state of Georgia about Sunday sales, and it passed almost everywhere, so I would be surprised if the same wasn't true in most areas up there. The hard part is probably getting it to the voting stage in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
It is really dumb for MN not to sell on Sundays. I live in a border town and can tell you that loads of people go over the border on Sundays to purchase alcohol in WI. Why would we want to pass up on the fat tax the state collects and give it to WI? Not too bright.

Go sit at a liquor in Prescott, Hudson or Superior on a Sunday and look at the MN plates roll in.
RC is right. I've seen direct comments from liquor store owners in articles saying that they just don't want to be open on Sundays, and that they know as soon as one place is open, they'll all have to be open. They must not think being closed on Sundays costs them all that much...that people just buy the same amount on other days. I'm sure opinions change as you get closer to the border.

I'd love to be able to buy beer and wine in the grocery stores again (as in my last state). I don't drink enough that its a big deal, but it sure was handy to grab a six-pack at the same time as the hamburger buns, or a Merlot when you pick up noodles. Especially when you are dragging kids around.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Having grown up on the border, I just don't think having liquor stores open on Sunday is a big deal. If you know you are having the guys over for football on Sunday you have until 10:00 PM on Saturday to buy your beer....

It's kind of a shame that more businesses aren't closed on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota