U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 PM

10 posts, read 12,244 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I am thinking of relocating to the MSP area for some better grad school opportunities while still working in my field (trying to just hasn't happened yet). I'm a 31 y/o guy and am currently in St. Louis Missouri and have outgrown the city as far as its economic and education opportunities. What I would really like to know is more about the people and the social culture. I've heard it's difficult to meet people in the twin cities but people say that here too (and it is). MANY people here get married early so most of my friends that are of the active type are either previously married or from other cities. I enjoy all sorts of things such as hiking, XC sking, (ice) climbing, cycling, etc but I am hoping someone can give me an idea of how big those 'communities' of people are in Minnesota. I have a bit of a preference for MN over CO since I also have considered Denver.

And I already know its cold and I don't care. I climb ice for fun so I'm a winter guy.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,841,009 times
I think you'll find luck here. We're a large (and growing) area, so there are a lot of young, new people coming here for jobs (if you're on the lookout for someone). Being in grad school will also put you in with a group of people roughly your age, so that will help with making friends and potential dates.

I can't speak for hiking or ice climbing. We are a pretty flat area, so that does eliminate things that involve climbing. I'm sure some people hike through the woods, though I suppose that's more just walking when there isn't an incline.

I know a lot of people do go to places like Theo Wirth Park cross-country ski. We're a state that likes to get outdoors and many people embrace the winter. We also have a huge cycling community made up of a variety of types: Sport riders, leisure riders, and commuters. We have amazing cycling infrastructure. Bikes lanes of all sorts on roads, paved paths that reach far out into the suburbs, a bicycle "freeway" (the Midtown Greenway...it's a pretty amazing thing!), and more.

I think you'll definitely have a chance to fit in. Let us know if you have any more questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
>