Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
]

Yeah I'm confident the Wolves aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Glen Taylor does want to sell the team though. And I think that would be good. Get a new refreshed ownership that is excited about winning and growth.

I think the Wolve's misery can be blamed solely on David Kahn, the GM. He's made some very poor moves, albeit some of his moves have been pretty darn good (Love & Rubio). He's failed too many drafts (Johnny Flynn) and hasn't gotten quality free agents to sign here. There's one little aspect that's out of his control - Injuries. Sure the Brandon Roy signing was a leap of faith and was pretty stupid, but you can't help with your 2 superstars get hurt- Kevin Love's hand and Rubio's ACL. Free Agents like Kirilinko and Barea and Budinger are huge blows the team.
Pek has been injured as well and so has Shved - for a number of games. Heck even Coaches wife got "injured" and Adelman missed coaching games for quite a few.

It's just the Minnesota pro sports way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM

192 posts, read 450,982 times
I would prefer to have the Lakers name back where it really belongs, as we have the 10,000 lakes and the "Lakers" the giant freighters on the inland sea of Superior. The 1200 foot ore boats in Duluth are known as "Lakers" as opposed to the smaller ocean going ships that sail in and out of Duluth which are known as "Salties". How about LA can have "Salties" as a name and we can have "Lakers" back? LA is a salt water seaport after all with what 4 lakes I think (man made reservoirs included) and we have Duluth which is a fresh water seaport with actual Lakers as well the greatest lake on planet earth and 10,000 other little inland lakes. Sound good!? I know I'm dreaming, but I am just not really down with the T'Wolves name, symbol or colors, sorry. Same goes for the Wild, I love hockey but I can't support a team with that name and those awful Christmas colors and bad symbol. I miss the North Stars man that was a cool sounding name with a great logo and colors. Minnesota's state motto is "L'Etoile du Nord" or North Star! Oh well, they are gone now to, to Dallas. I think the Vikings or the T'Wolves or some Minnesota team should change their name to the "Riverines" or "Bargers" or some name that represents the history and fact that the main reason why Saint Paul and Minneapolis exist is because of the Mighty Mississippi river.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
I would prefer to have the Lakers name back where it really belongs, as we have the 10,000 lakes and the "Lakers" the giant freighters on the inland sea of Superior. The 1200 foot ore boats in Duluth are known as "Lakers" as opposed to the smaller ocean going ships that sail in and out of Duluth which are known as "Salties". How about LA can have "Salties" as a name and we can have "Lakers" back? LA is a salt water seaport after all with what 4 lakes I think (man made reservoirs included) and we have Duluth which is a fresh water seaport with actual Lakers as well the greatest lake on planet earth and 10,000 other little inland lakes. Sound good!? I know I'm dreaming, but I am just not really down with the T'Wolves name, symbol or colors, sorry. Same goes for the Wild, I love hockey but I can't support a team with that name and those awful Christmas colors and bad symbol. I miss the North Stars man that was a cool sounding name with a great logo and colors. Minnesota's state motto is "L'Etoile du Nord" or North Star! Oh well, they are gone now to, to Dallas. I think the Vikings or the T'Wolves or some Minnesota team should change their name to the "Riverines" or "Bargers" or some name that represents the history and fact that the main reason why Saint Paul and Minneapolis exist is because of the Mighty Mississippi river.
A few things:

The Lakers name SHOULD belong to us, but I'm assuming Buss would not let that happen for whatever reason when he cbought the team and the same with the North Stars (one of the GREAT names in pro sports) - Friggin' Norm that jerk. The "Stars" should be the "South Stars" or the Lone Stars."

Also, I agree with both on the "Wild" name and the colors (WORST name in history of pro sports); I don't agree about the Wolves' colors and the name ain't too bad.

As far as what they should have been names, I had some ideas in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...l#post21683523

As far as supporting a team - one of our teams - on the basis on color scheme or name, no. But it does suck we were robbed of both the "North Stars" and "Lakers" names as both were absolutely incredible. But I will still stay totally loyal to both the Wild and Wolves, nevertheless.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
A few things:

The Lakers name SHOULD belong to us, but I'm assuming Buss would not let that happen for whatever reason when he cbought the team and the same with the North Stars (one of the GREAT names in pro sports) - Friggin' Norm that jerk. The "Stars" should be the "South Stars" or the Lone Stars."

Also, I agree with both on the "Wild" name and the colors (WORST name in history of pro sports); I don't agree about the Wolves' colors and the name ain't too bad.

As far as what they should have been names, I had some ideas in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...l#post21683523

As far as supporting a team - one of our teams - on the basis on color scheme or name, no. But it does suck we were robbed of both the "North Stars" and "Lakers" names as both were absolutely incredible. But I will still stay totally loyal to both the Wild and Wolves, nevertheless.
I understand. I'm not a big sports guy other than playing sports, skiing cycling sailing running myself. The "pro" stuff is just too much Roman "Bread and Circus" for me. Keep the grown men entertained and distracted with beer pizza and sports while the grand old Republic is robbed and looted but I digress...
I still root for a team from somewhere I've lived or am related to, the Mariners because I lived in Seattle for years and loved watching em, The Packers cause I was born in Wisconsin, and Les Habs or Canadiens because my family is Quebecois and mes grandparents were Habs fantatics. I don't care for B-ball anymore, unless Minnesota got the Lakers back. I think Bargers or Riverines would've been a better b-ball name but I know nobody agrees People like T-Wolves and Wild. I'm too trendy and style conscious to wear such names on my chest. Now Lakers...North Stars, hell yea, best names in sports, gone gone gone. Sad.

Last edited by glendog; 03-07-2013 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
I understand. I'm not a big sports guy other than playing sports, skiing cycling sailing running myself. The "pro" stuff is just too much Roman "Bread and Circus" for me. Keep the grown men entertained and distracted with beer pizza and sports while the grand old Republic is robbed and looted but I digress...
I still root for a team from somewhere I've lived or am related to, the Mariners because I lived in Seattle for years and loved watching em, The Packers cause I was born in Wisconsin, and Les Habs or Canadiens because my family is Quebecois and mes grandparents were Habs fantatics. I don't care for B-ball anymore, unless Minnesota got the Lakers back. I think Bargers or Riverines would've been a better b-ball name but I know nobody agrees People like T-Wolves and Wild. I'm too trendy and style onscious to wear such names on my chest. Now Lakers...North Stars, hell yea, best names in sports, gone gone gone. Sad.
Your name choices aren't bad at all. I like them. And I do agree with you about the sports scene being a distraction to matters at hand - when one of three sections of my PP is "sports" that is saying a lot about the American public, but like you said that's another discussion altogether.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Your name choices aren't bad at all. I like them. And I do agree with you about the sports scene being a distraction to matters at hand - when one of three sections of my PP is "sports" that is saying a lot about the American public, but like you said that's another discussion altogether.
Cool, thanks Govie, spread the word, Bargers and Riverines!! The Twin Cities are river towns after all, and especially Saint Paul, tons and tons of barge and tow boat traffic in that city. We are Bargers and Riverines!!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Looks like Glen Taylor isn't going to be selling the team. So glad hes committed to Minnesota. Basketball is my favorite sport along with football. I also love soccer and hockey.
Glen Taylor takes Timberwolves off market, prepares for bright future - CBSSports.com

Not surprising the Seattle group at one point approached him, since there are only 30 teams in the NBA and only a few of them for sale at any given time, obviously you will contact every available team. Even if teams like the Celtics or Lakers were for sale, I am sure they would of contacted them, even if they knew they had a 0% chance at buying them and relocating them.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM

It's great news. I heard it the other day, actually.

There are 12 metro areas in the United States with all four major sports, and being one of them I believe just goes to show how beautiful and world class our TC are. Why anyone from the TC or greater MN would wish any of them to move boggles my mind.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:21 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Once they start making the playoffs again and being relevant, and when the Target Center finally gets renovated and it becomes hip and trendy to go there and be seen there, all the people who supposedly don't care will all of a sudden become ardent fans.

Quote:
There are 12 metro areas in the United States with all four major sports, and being one of them I believe just goes to show how beautiful and world class our TC are. Why anyone from the TC or greater MN would wish any of them to move boggles my mind.
Me wanting the TWolves to stay has nothing to do with being world class or having all four major sports. It has more to do with me liking basketball and that fact that I enjoy watching it, and obviously want a local team to root for that I can call my own, and not have to root for milwaukee or chicago.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
I'd say "just lucky we didn't lose professional basketball". I hope Glen Taylor is holding up well realizing how many millions are going down the drain merely to have Minnesota in the standings every year. I suppose its like owning the Cubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota