Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I'd say "just lucky we didn't lose professional basketball". I hope Glen Taylor is holding up well realizing how many millions are going down the drain merely to have Minnesota in the standings every year. I suppose its like owning the Cubs.
Holding up well? Seriously? From the PP:

Quote:

Glen Taylor...paid $88 million for the Timberwolves 16 years ago, on Forbes' new valuation...the franchise is worth $364 million....
Charley Walters: Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor says support, not criticism, is his job now - TwinCities.com

Even with inflation, just looking at it I hardly think this is an investment that is killing his bottom line. Also reading Radical's article from CBS it's clear GT stands to make a bit more over the course of the next decade after CBA and tv deals come up. What I respect most about GT is that a lot of that will go back into the MN community, and that's commendable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 11:25 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post

Charley Walters: Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor says support, not criticism, is his job now - TwinCities.com

Even with inflation, just looking at it I hardly think this is an investment that is killing his bottom line. Also reading Radical's article from CBS it's clear GT stands to make a bit more over the course of the next decade after CBA and tv deals come up. What I respect most about GT is that a lot of that will go back into the MN community, and that's commendable.
Yeah, $88 million in 1996-1997 is about $125 million now. Thats an investment that's over $200 million on a return. Not bad.. In fact he made about $12.5 a year...

Unless they're talking about potential dollars earned, lost. Because there have been a lot of potential losses.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post

Wonderful isn't it how franchises that are failures in the SPORT are successes in the investment market? I guess it shows how foolish sports fans are in how they spend their money. Taylor may be making out like a bandit, but the fans are frittering away money that could be better spent on things like the kid's college fund or their own retirement (which famously is underfunded for the average American). Can just see the sports fans piteously crying for help in their old age because they chose to buy season tickets for losing sports franchises.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:31 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Quote:
Wonderful isn't it how franchises that are failures in the SPORT are successes in the investment market? I guess it shows how foolish sports fans are in how they spend their money. Taylor may be making out like a bandit, but the fans are frittering away money that could be better spent on things like the kid's college fund or their own retirement (which famously is underfunded for the average American). Can just see the sports fans piteously crying for help in their old age because they chose to buy season tickets for losing sports franchises.
It's not any different than supporting theatres or art museums, something which Minneapolis has plenty of. Artists aren't saving lives or curing cancer. I'm sure you never spend money on things you enjoy. Why eat out, why not eat at home and save a few dollars and put that towards your child's college? Why buy video games or movies when you could donate that money to charity?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
you should try to fine a little joy in life instead of beooootching about where others find it.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
It's not any different than supporting theatres or art museums, something which Minneapolis has plenty of. Artists aren't saving lives or curing cancer. I'm sure you never spend money on things you enjoy. Why eat out, why not eat at home and save a few dollars and put that towards your child's college? Why buy video games or movies when you could donate that money to charity?
If a restaurant owner ever asks the taxpayers for a billion in tax handouts for the food service industry, I might just drop out. But very few businesses go to government for help in inflating their investments. Nearly one hundred percent go to traditional capital markets who are glad to lend money to anything that seems likely to generate the ability to pay back. Team owners prey on the egos of people who can't stand the thought of "not being major league". It is all ego manipulation. And heaps and heaps of lies ("LA wants us"). By the way, the recent strikes against SPCO and MN Orchestra are BECAUSE the arts don't get the handouts. Personally, I'd love nothing MORE than a coordinated NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB lockout. Get all that crap off TV. Much as I hate the Kardashians, they're a step up from major league sports.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
You can count me in the "bragging rights" group. I used to be a huge Wolves fan in the early 2000s but now I look at the NBA and I have lost interest. I can't help but think all the chips are stacked against smaller market teams. How is it that the Wolves have never in their existence gotten a draft pick higher than their statistically expected draft order in the draft lottery? These drawings are done behind closed doors. Remember when Chicago had a 1.7% chance of getting the overall 1st round pick in 2008 but still won out and got the pick, selecting Derrick Rose? Suspicious! And then there's all that business about referees throwing games. I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, but something about the NBA doesn't smell right.

Also I'd be interested to see if our local businesses actually take clients out to Wolves games. Obviously the Vikings are a very popular NFL team, and the Twins are sometimes competitive and have a big fan base, but I don't think anyone outside of MN cheers for the Timberwolves.
Well maybe elsewhere in the USA, but there are fans of the team OUTSIDE of it! I should know. I live in a Basketball-nuts nation!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM

T-wolves are one of the NBA basket cases. Be interested to see what cities would actually want them. BUT on the other hand, if they got there with a different ownership, and then became something like the Oklahoma City franchise, that's a different matter. I think its just a fact that Minnesota doesn't really feel that enthusiastic about pro basketball. By the way, there's talk of KG going to the Clippers!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
T-wolves are one of the NBA basket cases. Be interested to see what cities would actually want them. BUT on the other hand, if they got there with a different ownership, and then became something like the Oklahoma City franchise, that's a different matter. I think its just a fact that Minnesota doesn't really feel that enthusiastic about pro basketball. By the way, there's talk of KG going to the Clippers!
Sacramento and Seattle are fighting for the Kings. the loser of that battle would probably be happy to take the Wolves, but i'd rather see the Wolves go to K.C. that is if they leave.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Sacramento and Seattle are fighting for the Kings. the loser of that battle would probably be happy to take the Wolves, but i'd rather see the Wolves go to K.C. that is if they leave.
Seattle lost. It was reported sometime in the last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota