Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM

192 posts, read 448,934 times

Advertisements

I would prefer to have the Lakers name back where it originated in Minneapolis and where it really belongs, Minnesota, the land of 10,000 lakes. The name is also a reference to the "Lakers", the giant freighter ships on Lake Superior. These ore boats in Duluth are known as "Lakers" as opposed to the smaller ocean going ships that sail in and out of Duluth which are known as "Salties". How about LA can have "Salties" as a name and we can have "Lakers" back? LA is a salt water seaport after all with what 4 lakes I think (man made reservoirs included) and we have Duluth which is a fresh water seaport with actual Lakers as well the greatest lake on planet earth and 10,000 other little inland lakes. Sound good!? I know I'm dreaming, but I am just not really down with the T'Wolves name, symbol or colors, sorry. Same goes for the Wild, I love hockey but I can't support a team with that name and those awful Christmas colors and bad symbol. I miss the North Stars man that was a cool sounding name with a great logo and colors. Minnesota's state motto is "L'Etoile du Nord" or North Star! Oh well, they are gone now to, to Dallas. So since we lost all our cool sounding names and replaced them with some of the lamest names in all of sports I think we should come up with some new cooler sounding names to replace T-Wolves and Wild. Twins and Vikings are here to stay I think and they are ok, Twins is actually befitting. So I think we should honor Saint Paul and Minneapolis' historic ties to the Might Mississippi river and change the Wild and T-Wolves names to the "Riverines" or "Bargers"! Or some other name that represents the history and fact that the main reason why Saint Paul and Minneapolis exist is because of the Mighty Mississippi river. Or if people have their own cool sounding names, let's hear em! Go Bargers!! Go Riverines!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 PM

6,418 posts, read 6,945,986 times
Wild should be the fightin mosquito's! Have an Irish tough mosquito as logo. People seem to relate us to mosquitos.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:48 PM

127 posts, read 191,442 times
I believe the Pioneer Press adopted the name, Ice Skeeters, between the time that St. Paul was granted an NHL team and the official announcement of the team name. I wish I could pull the image. The logo was actually pretty cool.

I do think that the Wild was a poor team name. Not an embarrassment. Just kind of lame... like they were trying too hard to be unique and cutting edge. Threads like these continue to pop up like clockwork every couple of months. After 13 years, I would say that qualifies as a name failure.

With that said, the logo is actually quite solid. Many will disagree, but I even like the color scheme. What they need, is a cleaner look to their uniforms. Get rid of the stupid red sweaters. These "Christmas Jerseys" always seem to be the primary complaint. I hate trying to manufacture a historic look when you're an expanison team. There's a lot going on in the logo; making it small and pasting it inside a generic circle emblem was a dumb idea. Their green uniforms have a much better look. I would like to see them bring back their original green jerseys because I prefer emblems over script in hockey. The white jerseys are too busy. I would start with a cleaner looking number font.

There's nothing wrong with the Timberwolves name. Maybe not as cool as the Lakers but it was a fine alternative. I do miss their original logo and color scheme.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM

I liked when the Timberwolves had trees surrounding the court and the collar of the jerseys.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM

192 posts, read 448,934 times
Minneapolis Bargers

Saint Paul Riverines

Cool sounding names. I wished I lived here when the Wild and T-Wolves were picking their dumb names, I could've helped out.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,442,601 times
How about the Hardcourt Losers and Ice Arena Losers. I think every team we've got needs a name incorporating the word Losers. Andy McPhail created the myth that a Minnesota team could compete. But all of history says the opposite. Andy and Jim Finks moved on to better communities. I was discussing Matt Birk and Bryant McKinnie with a sports fan today. Both moved on. Both now have rings. Same with Kevin Garnett. Minnesota may be OK as a place to start a career, but it is too depressing to make it the last stop. Brett Favre ended here, but already had a couple of rings I think.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:23 AM

127 posts, read 191,442 times
Hypothetical question:

If the Lakers stayed, would they be known as the Minneapolis Lakers, or would they have rebranded as the Minnesota Lakers?

Also, I think the Wolves and Lakers should play a throwback game in the Armory. Maybe they can sign J.R. Rider to help move cars around.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:52 AM

I remember J.R. Rider, but what did he do involving cars?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,395,893 times
Outsiders observation:

"Wild" is horrible. Just awful. One of the worst names ever thought up. The logo is cool, yes, but the elf yoonies are an abomination, and the road whites are all out of whack with the straight lines coming down the shoulders clashing with rounded numbers on the back. The alternate green "beer label" digs are pretty sweet, though......one of the better looks in the league. On that note, they should scale back the red colors and really sell the green in all aspects. Green is a fantastic color for sports uniforms, one that is drastically underused. Everyone wants to be red, blue, or these days, black. Look at MLB. How many teams have at least some type of red uniforms now? It's ridiculous. One team - the A's - has green as their dominant color, and their uniforms are awesome. Same thing in football - the Jets, the Packers - awesome. Michigan State and Oregon (before Nike went crazy with them) in college. Why don't more teams choose green? The Wild should go green....totally, because red and green are a disaster for anything other than Christmas.

As for the name - they should change it to "Lakers". No name represents the TC metro better. I doubt the LA Lakers could or would challenge it, I mean there's other teams in different sports leagues that have the same names - i.e. Giants and Panthers.

So....change the name to Lakers and make all the uniforms similar to the alternates design and color schemes. I give you the Minnesota Lakers!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,442,601 times
How about the Minnesota Gridlock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota