Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Outsiders observation:

"Wild" is horrible. Just awful. One of the worst names ever thought up. The logo is cool, yes, but the elf yoonies are an abomination, and the road whites are all out of whack with the straight lines coming down the shoulders clashing with rounded numbers on the back. The alternate green "beer label" digs are pretty sweet, though......one of the better looks in the league. On that note, they should scale back the red colors and really sell the green in all aspects. Green is a fantastic color for sports uniforms, one that is drastically underused. Everyone wants to be red, blue, or these days, black. Look at MLB. How many teams have at least some type of red uniforms now? It's ridiculous. One team - the A's - has green as their dominant color, and their uniforms are awesome. Same thing in football - the Jets, the Packers - awesome. Michigan State and Oregon (before Nike went crazy with them) in college. Why don't more teams choose green? The Wild should go green....totally, because red and green are a disaster for anything other than Christmas.

As for the name - they should change it to "Lakers". No name represents the TC metro better. I doubt the LA Lakers could or would challenge it, I mean there's other teams in different sports leagues that have the same names - i.e. Giants and Panthers.

So....change the name to Lakers and make all the uniforms similar to the alternates design and color schemes. I give you the Minnesota Lakers!
Agreed about the Green. Just look at how awesome the North Stars sweaters were/are.
These conversations about the name are annoying, and it's annoying how people still bring this up 13 years later. I think I actually liked the annoying conversations I heard in the mid-late 90s better when people were complaining about how we didn't have a team.
I disagree about changing the name, and definitely don't think we should change it to the Lakers if we could. Let's just be happy we have a team after losing our first one and also when there are plenty of markets that deserve teams that don't have one atm (Seattle, Quebec City) to name a few.

Personally I like the home sweaters they had when we first got the team. I really miss those.
http://www.nhluniforms.com/Wild/Images/Wild01.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
Cool sounding names. I wished I lived here when the Wild and T-Wolves were picking their dumb names, I could've helped out.
Glen Taylor is selling the Timberwolves, why not buy them? Than you can change the name and the jerseys to whatever your heart desires

It's not even that easy to change names, and rebranding costs tons and tons of money. And the leagues themselves have their own rules on that too you need to follow. The New Orleans Hornets changing to the Pelicans didn't just happen overnight. It wasn't like

"ugh the Hornets name is so lame and doesn't fit New Orleans, why not just change it to Pelicans which is our state bird"
"Ok great idea!"

It doesn't work like that.
And I know for the charlotte bobcats they have been sending surveys to season ticket holders about potentially reclaiming the Hornets name for their own team. It's not a simple decision you can just make up in a split second. Not to mention the money it costs.

This right here explains how and why the Timberwolves name was chosen. And I think the Timberwolves name is great and does a nice job representing Minnesota as well. I do miss some of their old jerseys though and the court that was lined with trees. I really like the original logo too that some people refer to as the Timberpuppies/T-Pups or something like that. The one that is in this link.
http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/hist...lves_name.html

http://i.imgur.com/yxpn8.png This is a great fan made court someone made. Looks fantastic.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 03-11-2013 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Timberwolves don't whimper. I don't think the name fits at all. Twins is lame. Vikings is a great name, but the team hardly lives up to it. But I have hard time really caring that much. Name them Gone and my day won't change.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM

192 posts, read 451,076 times
The French and French Canadians were the original commonly accepted European settlers (not considering the Kensington Stone rumors) so even Voyageurs would be a better name in my opinion.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Since the basketball team can't be Lakers, how about the Minnesota Puddlers?

Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Wild is the worst name in pro sports history. It's as simple as that. I don't have a problem with Timberwolves at - none.

North Stars is what our NHL name should have been; if I couldn't have that I came up with a bunch of other names. 'Northerners' I think would have been pretty bad - a little take on "North Stars" and since we are the northernmost state in Continental U.S. it would fit and it sounds pretty tough.

This thread we talked about possible names: //www.city-data.com/forum/minne...l#post21683523

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Outsiders observation:

"Wild" is horrible. Just awful. One of the worst names ever thought up. The logo is cool, yes, but the elf yoonies are an abomination, and the road whites are all out of whack with the straight lines coming down the shoulders clashing with rounded numbers on the back. The alternate green "beer label" digs are pretty sweet, though......one of the better looks in the league. On that note, they should scale back the red colors and really sell the green in all aspects. Green is a fantastic color for sports uniforms, one that is drastically underused. Everyone wants to be red, blue, or these days, black. Look at MLB. How many teams have at least some type of red uniforms now? It's ridiculous. One team - the A's - has green as their dominant color, and their uniforms are awesome. Same thing in football - the Jets, the Packers - awesome. Michigan State and Oregon (before Nike went crazy with them) in college. Why don't more teams choose green? The Wild should go green....totally, because red and green are a disaster for anything other than Christmas.

As for the name - they should change it to "Lakers". No name represents the TC metro better. I doubt the LA Lakers could or would challenge it, I mean there's other teams in different sports leagues that have the same names - i.e. Giants and Panthers.

So....change the name to Lakers and make all the uniforms similar to the alternates design and color schemes. I give you the Minnesota Lakers!
Maroon, silver and white would have been even better like my alma mater the Johnson Governors:

Best...jersey...EVER.

St. Cloud State's old sweaters were boss too:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota