Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 12:47 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Wrong.

I do believe in Jesus Christ (God). I also have an honors degree in political science and history, too, so save the redneck trash talk many on the left like throw about when someone does in fact believe in the reality of Christ's life and works. Indeed I was bombarded with anti-Christian propaganda from leftist profs many a time only to reinforce further the reality of Christ's life and the hate that the left/atheist harbors so abhorrently - the systemic rhetoric of hate the left wing tries to subtly peddle about to unsuspecting and naive high schoolers at places of higher education - I never bought into.

But for me it's not as much about religion as the major point in all of this as much as it is the political correctness that the left throws around - the left using "hate" or being "backward" as their starting off point for this entire issue. I could even be atheist and frankly still find the homosexual movement quite childish, if not repugnant; the glitter throwing, the fascists at speeches of people who are against homosexuality, the disgusting public displays that community tends to align themselves with in things such as public parades, etc.

Your community wants to continue to act like whiny little five year old girls, the more your community will be viewed as such.
Really? You think that the average gay man goes around throwing glitter at people and disrupting speeches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Please don't make me copy and paste the text of the First Amendment again.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:10 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
Quote:
Wrong.

I do believe in Jesus Christ (God). I also have an honors degree in political science and history, too, so save the redneck trash talk many on the left like throw about when someone does in fact believe in the reality of Christ's life and works. Indeed I was bombarded with anti-Christian propaganda from leftist profs many a time only to reinforce further the reality of Christ's life and the hate that the left/atheist harbors so abhorrently - the systemic rhetoric of hate the left wing tries to subtly peddle about to unsuspecting and naive high schoolers at places of higher education - I never bought into.

But for me it's not as much about religion as the major point in all of this as much as it is the political correctness that the left throws around - the left using "hate" or being "backward" as their starting off point for this entire issue. I could even be atheist and frankly still find the homosexual movement quite childish, if not repugnant; the glitter throwing, the fascists at speeches of people who are against homosexuality, the disgusting public displays that community tends to align themselves with in things such as public parades, etc.

Your community wants to continue to act like whiny little five year old girls, the more your community will be viewed as such.
Do you seriously think that's what homosexuality is? You think that's the heart of the equal rights movement? Throwing glitter? "Whining?"
You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you know why we throw glitter? Do you know why we need pride movements and gay bars? Because despite substantial and conclusive evidence that (a) LGBT phenomena are natural, healthy, unpreventable, immutable, and wholly unrelated to conscious behavior in humans and (b) LGBT people are discriminated against at varying levels of severity in *every political jurisdiction on earth,* it's the only way to make people pay attention.
Did you know that homosexuality is illegal and considered criminal in 75 countries? It's not just the Middle East, either. In Barbados, citizens who identify as LGBT can be imprisoned for life. In Singapore, a westernized English-speaking nation, male homosexuality is punishable by up to two years in prison. Jamaica is widely considered one of the most homophobic countries in the world. Homosexuality and the mere state of being LGBT is punishable by the death penalty in eight countries.
And it happens here too. Did you know that 1500 Americans a year are the victims of anti-LGBT hate crimes? Did you know that over a thousand of those hate crimes are violent in nature? Did you know that LGBT-identifying Americans are raped, shot, beaten, stabbed, and blinded every year? Did you know that LGBT youth are three times as likely as hetesexual cisgender youth to feel unsafe at school? Did you know that more than 90% of LGBT youth report having been harassed or assaulted in the last year?

Did you know that 30-40% OF LGBT YOUTH ATTEMPT SUICIDE?

Did you know that 36 states and 3 US territories explicitly ban same-sex marriage, and that of those, only 30 grant same-sex couples any of the rights afforded to opposite-sex couples? Did you know that the adoption of a child by a same-sex couple is explicitly illegal in ten states, and that it is not explicitly legal in 17 more (including Minnesota), despite ample evidence that children fare just as well with same-sex parents as with opposite-sex parents? Did you know that 19 states have no state-level protection for LGBT employees, and that 10 more limit that protection to only state employees? Did you know that 20 states do not recognize LGBT citizens in hate crime law? Did you know that in 29 states, it is legal for landlords to discriminate against (read: refuse to house) potential tenants based on sexual orientation and gender identity? Did you know that it is illegal in the United States for gay men to donate blood? Did you know that 11 US states still have sodomy laws?

There is N O T H I N G childish about demanding civil treatment and equal rights. Ever. Period.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Govie, I'm afraid you're on the losing end of the arguement, hun.

Brazil and france have recently legalized same-sex marriage.
Even here in the US 2 states within the past week have legalized same-sex marriage. There's really no legitimate justification from barring 2 people of the same sex from entering into a state-sanctioned legal marriage. Religious institutions are not being forced to perform wedding ceremonies, I dont see why you're so passionate about who other's love.

Let them have their marriage. It doesn't affect you. Your arguement sucks as well. It's BS.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Govie, I'm afraid you're on the losing end of the arguement, hun.

Brazil and france have recently legalized same-sex marriage.
Even here in the US 2 states within the past week have legalized same-sex marriage. There's really no legitimate justification from barring 2 people of the same sex from entering into a state-sanctioned legal marriage. Religious institutions are not being forced to perform wedding ceremonies, I dont see why you're so passionate about who other's love.

Let them have their marriage. It doesn't affect you. Your arguement sucks as well. It's BS.
Here's more of what they don't get. Churches (or temples or kingdom halls or mosques or whatever) can already, right now, refuse to marry someone for any reason or for no reason. This law does not change that, and this fact cannot be stated enough times; these people simply cannot get it through their thick skulls.

I think there's an element of what I'll call "desiring the dissatisfaction of others" at work here. In other words, bible-thumpers want the pleasure of slamming the door in the face of would-be gay marriers. They want a gay couple to come to the church to be married, and then be turned away.

What they don't understand is that gays don't want to be married in your crappy backwater church ANYWAY. They also don't seem to understand that, for reasons that continue to elude me, a church ceremony is not a legal marriage. You aren't married until you sign the marriage license issued by the county. The ceremony is a put-on.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
That's an oxymoron. You can call yourself anything - I can call myself Batman - but it doesn't make it true.
Growing up in the "gay capital" of the Midwest, sure I've met women that are more butch and boys that were more effeminate, so I know the people, but it doesn't change the fact.

And no, I don't hate you or the homosexual community, as I stated earlier, I just am tired of the childish tactics of that community.

Why in the world would you bring those loons into this? They, like the individual quoted above, claim "Christianity" as their title, but they aren't even remotely "Christian."

I'm happy for you. What does your beloved community make up of the overall population anyway, two percent? lol
I didn't realize that the percentage size of the population mattered. It's more like 10%, but whether it's1%, 10% or 20%, everyone in a supposedly free country should have the same rights and responsibilities. Your snide remarks clearly show that you don't practice what your beloved religion preaches.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
I would also like to note that being a Christian does NOT also always equate with non-liberal beliefs. I come from a very religious family, yet as far as I know not one of them is upset about the law passing in Minnesota and yes we are also primarily on the left of center politically.

It is annoying when any discussion of public policy defaults to broad generalizations and name calling.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
Quote:
Wrong.

Your community wants to continue to act like whiny little five year old girls, the more your community will be viewed as such
My community? I don't remember the last time us German Catholics threw glitter and acted like whiny five year old girls. And frankly, I don't ever remember any of my gay friends or relatives acting in such a way either. Your views on the homosexual community are quite distorted to say the least!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
My community? I don't remember the last time us German Catholics threw glitter and acted like whiny five year old girls. And frankly, I don't ever remember any of my gay friends or relatives acting in such a way either. Your views on the homosexual community are quite distorted to say the least!
I would counter that first, throwing glitter and exhibiting pride in the sense that has become almost stereotype is not equivalent to whining, especially not like a "five year old girl," because it's 2013 and we need to move past harmful preconceived notions about gender roles and the value of women (of any age). There's nothing whiny about making your political voice heard, especially when you are a minority, and there's nothing whiny about expressing yourself in the way that is most comfortable and natural for you.

Second, even if anyone was acting whiny or childish, we are talking about basic human rights here. No one is to be excluded from basic human rights, no matter how much glitter they've thrown, no matter how many rainbow flags they own, no matter how much they like fashion, no matter how prominent their lisp might be.
Everyone deserves equal rights.

This is the problem with the "don't hate gay people, they're just like us!" argument. While it may seem like it's helping warm people up to the reality of homosexuality in humans (spoiler: it's not that exciting, we just like boys instead of girls, or vice versa), it also serves to further vilify the less heteronormative members of the LGBT community in those people's minds. It's very true and extremely worth noting that LGBT people are as massively varied and as diverse in personality and creed as non-LGBT people - I happen to be Lutheran, find fashion and shopping boring, and spend most of my free time looking at maps and watching sci-fi, but I'm no less gay than the community activist with rainbow-dyed hair who designs fashion in his spare time and volunteers at the local playhouse. But that guy's rights are just as important as mine and yours and everyone else's. What we should be saying isn't "don't hate gay people, they're just like us!," it's "don't hate gay people, they're people!"

Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 PM

332 posts, read 435,833 times
If my religious beliefs tell me that I don't have to honor and obey stop signs, should the rest of society be forced to put up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota