Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times

Advertisements

Admit I lost fair and square? I didn't realize I was in battle but clearly I was. The fact that people see it this way, including the way parents are viewed says enough to me about this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:52 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Admit I lost fair and square? I didn't realize I was in battle but clearly I was. The fact that people see it this way, including the way parents are viewed says enough to me about this topic.
Your battle is mainly with yourself. Nothing has changed for opposite sex couples. Same sex couples now have the right to marry.

You can decide to be bitter about that or get over it and accept that same sex couples are deserving of your respect as well.

BTW, the battle started when the opponents of same sex marriage thought they could pass a constitutional ban on marriage in Minnesota. They were the first to be hostile and make the potshots against same sex couples and their supporters. That is a fact and now they failed but everything was done by democratic vote so it was fair.

You are not a victim and neither are they. BTW, I did not complain when my state banned marriage constitutionally in 2008. I voted against the ban, but was a grown-up about it and accepted it while maintaining my opinion. That is all I was recommending for you and others with similar opinions. Just to show some class and respect for the process. It sure beats bitterness. That is my final comment (promise this time).

Old 05-18-2013, 11:58 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Showing me once again what the state NEEDS to do is realize it has no business whatever in marriage and stop treating married people as if they were special. Its like Gollum with the ring. It bends the minds of those who have it. So no one should have it. Pass laws to protect children, without reference to biological relationship. But stop this sanctioning of marriage. It is entirely people's PRIVATE BUSINESS and I don't want my government dabbling in it. It is one more relic of societies and cultures that are receding in the past. People try artificially to bring it back, just like a lot of other things we now consider antiquated. I'm kinda miffed that GAYS climb on this bandwagon. They should fight for a society in which ALL people have equality, not just gays with straights within marriage. I don't believe some mumbo jumbo ceremony makes married gays more meritorious than their unmarried friends.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Let's deny your right to get married, tax benefits, and make your sexual orientation grounds for being fired and then see how you feel.

Oh, and this whiny little five year old "girl" squatted 405 lbs at sixteen years old and could more than hold his own in a fight so just don't think that all gay people are submissive or act a certain way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Isn't it ironic (and hypocritical!) that Govie's posts on this topic have had more whining than anyone else? Even hypocrites have First Amendment rights, but we have the same right to mention the hypocrisy!
No one denied me anything and no one denied you anything that wasn't mainstream for millenniums, and I have never been one for bullying, ever, and think kids or adults who look different or act different should never be subjected to bullying or harassment in any way. Like I said, I don't hate anyone and nor do I like bullies, so what was your point?

You had no point, or assumed I was some gay basher since I think homo marriage is an inappropriate deviation from nature - from what nature has dictated for thousands of years.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
I didn't read all the posts so sorry if this has been covered. Why are the states in the "marriage" business at all? EVERYONE should get a civil union certificate for legal purposes issued by the state and you are good to go. Past that requirement marriage is the business of the church. If your denomination says no will do a same sex marriage fine, another denomination can say its okay. If you are against it stick with a church that agrees with you. Marriage should be a religious function and states should not be involved other than legally. Church and state should be separate functions regarding "marriage" issue.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
I didn't read all the posts so sorry if this has been covered. Why are the states in the "marriage" business at all? EVERYONE should get a civil union certificate for legal purposes issued by the state and you are good to go. Past that requirement marriage is the business of the church. If your denomination says no will do a same sex marriage fine, another denomination can say its okay. If you are against it stick with a church that agrees with you. Marriage should be a religious function and states should not be involved other than legally. Church and state should be separate functions regarding "marriage" issue.
Churches are involved in "holy matrimony" and not marriage. I think you're confused.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
No one denied me anything and no one denied you anything that wasn't mainstream for millenniums, and I have never been one for bullying, ever, and think kids or adults who look different or act different should never be subjected to bullying or harassment in any way. Like I said, I don't hate anyone and nor do I like bullies, so what was your point?

You had no point, or assumed I was some gay basher since I think homo marriage is an inappropriate deviation from nature - from what nature has dictated for thousands of years.

You referred to the LGBT community's fight for equal rights as "a bunch of whiny five year old girls" and then referred to same-sex marriage as "homo marriage". I think it is safe to say you are indeed a bigot when it comes to this issue. If you are opposed to same-sex marriage that is perfectly fine but try to articulate it in an intelligent way without the insults.

1. "same-sex marriage is unnatural": Actually homosexuality predates Christianity by a long a shot, it does occur in nature and in civilizations dating back to Ancient Greece and Rome. If you are that concerned with what is natural then you should probably stop using all technology because I am pretty sure that is an "inappropriate deviation from nature and what nature has dictated for thousands of year." If two adults who love each other want to get married I do not see how it affects you or anyone else. If you don't want a same-sex marriage then don't get one.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,446 times
The state is in the marriage business because the federal government is.

Feel free to partake in a civil union - the feds don't recognize it.

Want to move? Good luck taking your benefits with you. I'm sure it would be of no great expense to have to plan and arrange for legal protections that vary wildly between states.

If you want to get the states out of the marriage business, then get the feds out of it first.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:50 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
You referred to the LGBT community's fight for equal rights as "a bunch of whiny five year old girls" and then referred to same-sex marriage as "homo marriage". I think it is safe to say you are indeed a bigot when it comes to this issue. If you are opposed to same-sex marriage that is perfectly fine but try to articulate it in an intelligent way without the insults.

1. "same-sex marriage is unnatural": Actually homosexuality predates Christianity by a long a shot, it does occur in nature and in civilizations dating back to Ancient Greece and Rome. If you are that concerned with what is natural then you should probably stop using all technology because I am pretty sure that is an "inappropriate deviation from nature and what nature has dictated for thousands of year." If two adults who love each other want to get married I do not see how it affects you or anyone else. If you don't want a same-sex marriage then don't get one.
Oh boy, here we go with the hypersensitive stuff.

You found what I said offensive? Well you know what, I find the homosex community using "gay" as a term to define their lifestyle quite frankly as offensive as anything, as "Gay" is actually a surname, not some random term your community is at leisure of abusing. Gay Name Meaning & Gay Family History at Ancestry.com

Nevertheless, that's somewhat irrelevant to the discussion at hand and an entirely different discussion altogether.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:36 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
In using the term state I was referring to government entities in general sorry I did not make that clear. If churches are performing holy matrimony rather than a marriage ceremony than they should stay out of the marriage debate. I uphold the right of personal religious beliefs but not when they try to impose them on others. I hope all the states and feds legalize same sex and let religious organizations deal with holy matrimony/marriage as they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota