Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The agenda induced venom directed at folks who still have core beliefs and who choose to live by them has really become a dispicable thing to witness and incur both in this country and abroad.
It's not about victimhood. Stop trying to make laws or obey laws based on religion. Watch that venom evaporate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
It's not about victimhood. Stop trying to make laws or obey laws based on religion. Watch that venom evaporate.
It's not just about religion, and you know it. Legions of non-religious people are pro traditional marriage and anti-gay marriage. So here's an idea: Stop demonizing anyone who doesn't subscribe to, promote, endorse, sanction or believe in homosexuality in any way, shape, or form as a hateful, intolerant bigot and maybe we can talk. I am as described above, and yet I have many gay friends. They know how I feel, and they're fine with it, because they know I'm a rational human being who can agree to disagree and still be civilized........which is more than I can say for you based on what I've read in here. People like you are the problem, not the solution. You self admittedly refuse to view the world through anyones eyes but your own, and when you come across a differing opinion you activate attack sequence. How does that help anything?

Like it or not, the baker is a hero to those of us who refuse to cower beneath this media fueled gay blitzkrieg that is roaring across this nation. We were not demons 10, 20, 50 or 100 years ago, and we are not demons today. We are honest, God fearing, Bible believing, hard working Americans the same as we have always been. It is you who have waged war on our way of life, not the other way around. We do NOT have to change to suit you or your whims, and we WON'T, no matter how many stations, sites, papers, blogs or tv programs you try to humiliate and intimidate us with. Gay America did not build this great nation with the scores of generations of families that it took to do so, and gay America is certainly not going to sustain it, so get over yourselves.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:56 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
It's not just about religion, and you know it. . . .We are honest, God fearing, Bible believing, hard working Americans the same as we have always been.
Ummmm, contradict yourself much?

I personally couldn't care less about Gay marriage one way or another, but I do want "Bible Believing" folks to get their ugly hate-filled religion out, out, OUT of my government.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
It's not just about religion, and you know it.
Well, this particular case is about religion. We've sort of been discussing it for a while now.

Quote:
So here's an idea: Stop demonizing anyone who doesn't subscribe to, promote, endorse, sanction or believe in homosexuality in any way, shape, or form as a hateful, intolerant bigot and maybe we can talk.
Now THAT is a laugh. What is there to talk about when you say that? You're anti-gay marriage, I'm not. That's pretty much the end of it.

Quote:
Like it or not, the baker is a hero to those of us who refuse to cower beneath this media fueled gay blitzkrieg that is roaring across this nation. We were not demons 10, 20, 50 or 100 years ago, and we are not demons today. We are honest, God fearing, Bible believing, hard working Americans the same as we have always been. It is you who have waged war on our way of life, not the other way around. We do NOT have to change to suit you or your whims, and we WON'T, no matter how many stations, sites, papers, blogs or tv programs you try to humiliate and intimidate us with.
LOL!! Don't change for my sake, man, I don't care. But don't claim something so hyperbolic as someone having "waged war on your way of life." (Whatever your "way of life" is.) And don't get mad because the Leave-it-to-Beaver America is gone. My heroes fight to make all people equal. Your heroes fight equality.

It's a familiar refrain used among the antis. "Ohh, boo-hoo, WE'RE the ones being victimized here!"

Quote:
Gay America did not build this great nation with the scores of generations of families that it took to do so, and gay America is certainly not going to sustain it, so get over yourselves.
I don't know how this statement can be anything other than bald-faced bigotry. There have always been gay people, you just didn't know about them. And yes, they sure as hell built this great nation the same as you or I or anyone else did or did not.

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
Either we're equal or we aren't. Which is it?

Last edited by Globe199; 08-06-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM

I am talking about bonafide family....you know, procreation and all? And gays contributed to this? How? Do they lay eggs or something? Please.

You say this, I say that. And by your philosophy, that means we can't agree to disagree, go get a beer, and both abide by a relevant outcome or decision in correlation with it all. How truly sad that is.

BTW, that last little snippet you put forth includes a reference to the Almighty Himself. You good with that, or did it slip past ya?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I am talking about bonafide family....you know, procreation and all? And gays contributed to this? How? Do they lay eggs or something? Please.
So gays don't have bonafide families. Tell that to the children whose parents were married early last Thursday morning. Tell those kids that they don't have a bonafide family. Find out how much your opinion means to them. I'd pay money to watch you tell them to their faces.

Quote:
You say this, I say that. And by your philosophy, that means we can't agree to disagree, go get a beer, and both abide by a relevant outcome or decision in correlation with it all. How truly sad that is.
Not nearly as sad as you think. If you're so confident in your beliefs, they why do need me to agree to disagree? Why must someone who disagrees with you be required to find legitimacy in your viewpoint? Are you insecure in your beliefs?

Maybe that's what you and Glenfield are driving at. Are you looking for reassurance that it's still OK to believe that two committed lovers can't marry?

Quote:
BTW, that last little snippet you put forth includes a reference to the Almighty Himself. You good with that, or did it slip past ya?
Which "almighty himself?" Last count, there were over 3,700 gods. It says "Creator," not the almighty. Creator could be taken to mean many things. I could take that to mean my mother. The "Creator" clause really isn't the operative part of that passage anyway.

You didn't answer whether all men truly are created equal. Perhaps some of us are more equal than others.

Quote:
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
What does that mean to you?

Last edited by Globe199; 08-06-2013 at 10:15 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:

It is you that need to take the "agree to disagree" tone. The people of Minnesota voted against constitutional discrimination against same sex marriage last year and the Minnesota government legalized same sex marriage this May.

It does not affect your life in Michigan as it is still against the law there. So what is the problem? Do all 50 states have to see it your way? You are the one havings. a problem agreeing to disagree here. Your town is not even affected, but you have a chip on your shoulder over Minnesota same sex marriage. Indeed, how truly sad is that?

It does not affect your marriage or relationships.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 AM

en
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
It is you that need to take the "agree to disagree" tone. The people of Minnesota voted against constitutional discrimination against same sex marriage last year and the Minnesota government legalized same sex marriage this May.

It does not affect your life in Michigan as it is still against the law there. So what is the problem? Do all 50 states have to see it your way? You are the one havings. a problem agreeing to disagree here. Your town is not even affected, but you have a chip on your shoulder over Minnesota same sex marriage. Indeed, how truly sad is that?

It does not affect your marriage or relationships.
That was not what they voted on. They voted against marriage being solely defined as between one man and one woman. The word "discrimination" was not on the ballot. Once again, you choose to insert your all too convenient phrasing to make those of us who disagree on this issue look like the monsters you're consistently portraying us as. And how can you be ignorant enough to believe this landmark event has no influence on other states? Michigan has already moved to bring this issue to the voters within the next 2 to 3 years on the heels of Minnesota's action. I have little doubt that gay marriage will be legal here by 2016, and Minnesota has largely paved the way for that.

Also, don't pompously sit there and tell me this doesn't affect my relationships. We don't believe in homosexuality, and now we're going to eventually have to explain why two women or two men are allowed to get married to our young kids. That affects us all. I don't want my 15 month old son growing up thinking it's just as acceptable for him to marry a man as it would be for him to fall in love with and marry a woman. That violates everything I've believed my entire life, and now I'm supposed to just sit back and accept it without voicing an honest opinion? Don't think so. I'm not ignorant as to the future of this issue, either. I know gay marriage is going to be passed in many more places within the next 10 to 20 years. That doesn't mean I have to believe in or endorse it, though.........and I won't........ever. My lifelong beliefs and values are not a "chip" on any particular shoulder. They are who I am, and like I said, that was never a problem to anyone until this "stamp out religion, tradition, and conservatism because now anything goes" wave started crashing down on society within the past 5 to 10 years.

BTW, and just for the record, I love the state of Minnesota.....have thought about moving there several times, and am still considering it. I think it's a beautiful, fascinating place. I obviously don't support gay marriage, but that would never keep me from living there.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 08-08-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 AM

You want to hear something truly shocking? Your children are going to be a lot more accepting of gays than you are -- that is, I suppose, unless you indoctrinate them with homophobia. The thing, is you don't have to explain anything to them. "Those two people love each other; they got married." That's pretty much all you need to say, and that's if they ever ask, which they probably won't.

You don't have to accept anything at all. You're perfectly free to be passionately anti-gay. Just understand that the number of people who share your beliefs is dwindling. People in the 19th century grew up knowing that black people were slaves and had no human rights. We moved on and now (most) people don't think that. The same thing will happen with gays.

Support for same-sex marriage in the U.S.
18–29 - 65%
30–49 - 54%
50–64 - 45%
65+ - 39%
All Adults - 51%

Pew Research Center May 2013

Old 08-08-2013, 12:17 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
You want to hear something truly shocking? Your children are going to be a lot more accepting of gays than you are -- that is, I suppose, unless you indoctrinate them with homophobia.
Quote:
Maybe stick to discussing the issues instead of espousing upon your misguided theories of various forum members. Thanks.
You should take your own advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota