U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 AM

24 posts, read 48,074 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I are moving to Minneapolis from Australia in a few months time.

Are we making the right decision?

If you had the choice would you move to Australia or stay where you are?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,015,959 times
No, I wouldn't move to Australia. Too many variables to answer your question though.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 PM

14,870 posts, read 19,765,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrol View Post
Hi,

My family and I are moving to Minneapolis from Australia in a few months time.

Are we making the right decision?

If you had the choice would you move to Australia or stay where you are?
Don't know much about your situation so can't answer if you are making the right decision

I wouldn't move to Australia but a vacation would be awesome

Old 06-26-2013, 01:33 AM

2,091 posts, read 1,576,208 times
I guess it depends on what you would be doing in the US, where you have family if that's important to you, and where you are in Australia. I've lived in both the Sydney area and Minneapolis. I would choose Sydney over Minneapolis for the weather, beach access, nightlife, and big city feel. Minneapolis is less expensive. If you were comparing Minneapolis to anywhere else in Australia other than Sydney, Brisbane, the Gold Coast, or Melbourne, I would pick Minneapolis hands down.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,286,147 times
I would visit Perth...sounds great there. But as for moving to the cities..... well if you want a weather change it is a good thing.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 PM

24 posts, read 48,074 times
Sorry guys, my question was a little vague.

We are moving from the Sunshine Coast, so we're leaving warm weather and beautiful beaches all year round.
My husband has a great job in Minneapolis, so for us we're looking forward to an adventure, four seasons, and the opportunities for our kids.
I guess my concerns are based on all the harsh negativity I've been reading about Minneapolis. The winters and how difficult it is to make friends as everyone has known each other since school. I know you can't generalise but the same things keep coming up from people who have moved there.
I know that once I get there I'll love everything that your city has to offer and I'll learn over time how to deal with the cold. The coldest it gets here is 7 degrees in the winter and thats early morning - by 10am it's back up to 17 to 21 degrees and the sun is shinning. I've never experienced anything colder than that............lol we are going to die aren't we
I guess for us Australia does have the weather, beaches and we live a very healthy outdoor lifestyle. What it doesn't offer are the opportunities for career advancement.

Last edited by remotecontrol; 06-26-2013 at 08:41 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 PM

14,870 posts, read 19,765,761 times
Quote:

We are moving from the Sunshine Coast, so we're leaving warm weather and beautiful beaches all year round.
My husband has a great job in Minneapolis, so for us we're looking forward to an adventure, four seasons, and the opportunities for our kids.
I guess my concerns are based on all the harsh negativity I've been reading about Minneapolis. The winters and how difficult it is to make friends as everyone has known each other since school. I know I can't generalise but the same things keep coming up and it's making the thought of the move more concerning for me.
I know that once I get there I'll love everything that your city has to offer and I'll learn over time how to deal with the cold. The coldest it gets here is 7 degrees in the winter and thats early morning - by 10am it's back up to 17 to 21 degrees and the sun is shinning. I've never experienced anything colder than that............lol we are going to die aren't we
It's going to be wonderful, I know it will. Do me a favour though, if you hear a dodgy sounding accent on your daily travels in a few months time, say "remotecontrol" that way we can have a laugh about my silly posts and I'll feel like I've made a new friend xx

Just a dumb stereotype, plenty of outgoing and social people here.
You have an accent so that makes it even better (people will probably think you're British, that might get annoying.)
Winter is cold but we have plenty of places to ski/snowboard if that's your thing.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,912,281 times
Except for the weather, I can't imagine a better place for (real) Australians to move to. My impression of both Australians and (real) Minnesotans is that they are too kind, good, and honest for their own good. That makes them vulnerable to outsiders from predatory cultures. I've seen Australians taken advantage of in other parts of America. Their generosity is exploited. I don't think that will happen when you're interacting with (real) Minnesotans. In all likelihood, interactions will be contests, to see which party can be more generous to the other.

Just like the big cities in Australia, Minneapolis is beginning to see its quality of life destroyed by inappropriate imports being "settled" there by the VOLAGS ("voluntary" agencies). Be aware that lovely-looking neighborhoods may be transitioning into no-go zones.

The sad truth is that the elites ruling both Australia and Minnesota HATE their own people, and want to replace them. And the populations of both those wonderful places are too kindly to fight against the psychological http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...dfzo1_1280.jpg and demographic warfare being waged against them.

For now, though, most of Minnesota is incredibly wonderful. It won't get ruined any faster than Australia is being ruined. I consider "hipster chic" to have originated in Minneapolis. IQs and intellectual accomplishments in that state are so high, that those of us from lesser parts of America hold Minnesotans in utter awe (Although we do make fun of their Accents. Australian accents just make us horny.)

Minnesotans are the smartest, tallest, blondest, kindest people in America. For us, it's like visiting a wonderful planet populated with greatly-improved versions of Humans.

But Minnesota's as cold as Australia is hot. Winters are going to require logistics you've never considered (unless you're accustomed to flying to the Kamchatka in winter for Skiing, or something). But once you've mastered the art of getting things done in extreme cold, you'll love it.

And, you'll love TATER TOT HOT DISH.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 AM

2,091 posts, read 1,576,208 times
Quote:

I guess my concerns are based on all the harsh negativity I've been reading about Minneapolis. The winters and how difficult it is to make friends as everyone has known each other since school. I know you can't generalise but the same things keep coming up from people who have moved there.
I guess for us Australia does have the weather, beaches and we live a very healthy outdoor lifestyle. What it doesn't offer are the opportunities for career advancement.
It's been a while since I've thought of the weather in Celsius. One thing that you'll see in the US is, that other than those in the medical or scientific fields, many people do not have a great grasp of the metric system. So you're used to a winter low in the mid-40's F and a high of around 70 F. The weather will be a rough adjustment, but you already knew that.

The region of the US that Minneapolis is in has slow and steady growth rather than the booms that are seen in the Southern and Western parts of the country. While there are people from all over the country in Minneapolis, it does tend to be more of a regional draw from the Upper-Midwest then a national draw. The combination of these two things means that a bigger percentage of the metro residents grew up in the region than you would see in other cities like NYC, LA, SF, Houston, Austin, Miami, etc. So for transplants, it's a little harder to make friends than in most big cities in the US. That being said, I didn't find it a huge problem, and with kids you are sure to meet other families through sports or other extra-curricular activities.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,015,959 times
Quote:

If you look at the negative threads, it's the same people with the same complaints all the time . No, you won't get year round beautiful temperatures but we have plenty of beaches, lakes, not the ocean . Moving with kids is much easier than not for meeting friends though. I'm not sure how old they are, but there are a lot of programs and activities to get involved with where you can easily meet people. We moved to our town about 8 years ago, knowing no one here. We just had a party with 250 people showing up. We are not particularly outgoing, just mostly people that we met through the kids' activities, church, neighbors, etc.

As for your outdoor lifestyle---you just change what you do in the winter. Everything you do in the summer you will be able to do here, except maybe surf if you do that. Plenty of people wind surf though. In the winter, you learn to ski, snowshoe, or even just take advantage of the hills and go sledding. There are MAYBE a handful of days in the winter that you really shouldn't be outside for any real length of time, heck, I'm inside more because of the heat and humidity than the cold.

Now, where is the job? How old are your kids? What activities do they like to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota