U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,972,532 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend goes to school at St. Thomas in St. Paul. She wants me to go to school somewhere close to her and that would probably be U of M. I have had my heart set on Denver for as long as I can remember, but I can't get in-state tuition in Colorado. Because I live in South Dakota, I can get in-state tuition anywhere in Minnesota.

My question is, should I give Minnesota a chance? A few things I hate about Minnesota is that it is FLAT. It is humid in the summer and DEADLY in the winter. And at least Denver's snow melts right away. In Minnesota, snow sticks around ALL WINTER LONG! I am from Rapid City, so I am used to an arid, semi-mountainous climate where humidity is a four-letter word!

I like the fact that Minneapolis and St. Paul are large cities with everything I need, but IDK if I could last there.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM

6,565 posts, read 16,533,017 times
Sure, give it a chance. What's the worst that could happen? You find out you really don't like it, and move. If your girlfriend is staying there for life, this could be a huge issue - one that you should deal with as soon as possible.

If you do move to Minnesota, though, you can't complain! Suck it up and try to learn to like it, or if not like it, at least tolerate it. Attitude is half the battle.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 57,740,327 times
The twin cities area is not flat like most of South Dakota is. It is very hilly and scenic, but not as scenic as the Rapid City area. We have had some pretty mild winters the past 15 years and the snow has not been staying on the ground all winter. Denver has had WAY more snow then we have the past couple years. Rapid City has even more extreme temperatures then we see in MN, at least in the summer. You also get your fair share of cold weather in the winter. I don't think you will find that the twin cities area is all that different then Rapid.

Now, as for following your girlfriend here, what would you think if after 3 months she found another boyfriend and broke up with you? I think you should go to school where you want and if things are meant to be with your girlfriend, they will.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 AM

5,102 posts, read 13,030,678 times
I have lived in MN most of my life and I would go to Denver/Colorado for sure if I were in that transitional phase of life.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:04 PM

175 posts, read 698,914 times
Move to Denver if you want an eventual ex-girlfriend.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM

5,102 posts, read 13,030,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
Move to Denver if you want an eventual ex-girlfriend.
I certainly would not base my college decision on being close to a girlfriend. Cut her loose and head for the mountains!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:42 PM

102 posts, read 447,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I certainly would not base my college decision on being close to a girlfriend. Cut her loose and head for the mountains!
Ditto been in Denver and surrounding area it has just to much to offer as MPLS w/o the harsh winter...btw there are lots of cute girls in the greater Denver area also. Pssst....your in college....Psssst.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,107,659 times
You all have no idea how serious he is with his girlfriend. Don't make life decisions if you have been dating for three weeks, though.
Anyways, Mpls. and The Cities are not really flat. The area was forested. We don't have mountains, but Mpls. was built around a waterfall and good sized Mississippi Bluffs. The weather is not as good as Denver, but it saves you same cash too.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:13 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,972,532 times
That is one of my dilemmas. My girlfriend and I are not extremely serious, but I think going to school near her would be a great way to get closer. Not only that, but the school would be cheaper too!

I just hate crappy, prairie winters and I LOVE the Rocky Mountains because it is similar to the landscape and climate of Rapid City. The only drawback is that it is much more expensive and I hardly know anyone in Denver. I have TONS of friends in Minneapolis and I hear that it is best to go to college with some friends for moral support. I also like the fact that Minneapolis is a big city, much like Denver.

Trust me, I would not base a life decision on my feelings for a girl!

UGG! WHAT DO I DO!?!!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:17 PM

571 posts, read 2,410,720 times
Another good thing about the Twin Cities is you're only a couple hours via Interstate from Duluth and the north shore of Lake Superior beyond. Beautiful, rugged terrain where you can hike, rock climb, etc., etc. If you've never been up that way, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised!

Don't get me wrong, Colorado is great but every place has its issues. (I lived out there for 5 years). If you want to try the U of M for a year, you can always leave if it's not your cup of tea. If you can afford to take a year off when/if you get to Colorado, you can get in-state tuition rates. I got my MA out there and that's what I did. Saved me a lot of money in the long run. Just make sure you get your Colorado DL right away and save a copy of your rental lease, etc.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota