Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 AM

26 posts, read 58,922 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me info about the area. We are in PA. now but are wanting to relocate the 1st of Feb. We are thinking MN. or Ak. My husband is a Electrician so any help on job growth would be great. We found a cute house in Herman, but want to know if the town is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Default MN vs AK

I can't give you specifics on Herman, unless you actually mean Hermantown, more or less a suburb of Duluth. In that case the Duluth area is one of My favorite places anywhere. Having grown up for a time in AK and college in MN, I can say that AK and northern MN have much in common - lakes, hunting, fishing, hiking, recreation opportunities. The people in both places are a big plus (at least the long term locals). Heck, even the mosquitoes are pretty close! (Although, once you are out in the woods, the Alaskan variety wins for sheer number and ferocity). The big negative for AK is the extreme isolation. To get somewhere on vacation or visit relatives, it's an expensive plane ticket or a LONG road trip.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:17 PM

721 posts, read 2,610,495 times
As far as job growth, the Duluth area is much slower for job growth than most places in Minnesota, if not the US in general. However, there are always opportunities. It is more difficult to find a job in the Duluth area from a distance. There is a real possibility of the Murphy Oil refinary in Superior, WI expanding by 700% to 235,000 barrels a day from 35,000 as well as a pipeline from the Canadian Oil Sands coming through the Duluth area which may need all sorts of help. Try Minnesota Power for current job openings.

Hermantown is the fastest growing "city" in Northern, MN and you can't tell that you have even left Duluth. I can't understand why it was never annexed by Duluth. Go figure. It is all subdivisions and strip malls.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
I'm not sure, but perhaps the OP is talking about the small town of Herman, Minnesota? I don't know much about it other that it's in the western part of the state and it was on Oprah or some show some years back for having a high male to female ratio (meaning if you were a lady, you were in luck!) If I remember right, I think Oprah set up a bunch of single women with lonely Herman bachelors.

Just mapquested it and it looks to be pretty much in the middle of nowhere! Not too far from Morris, which does have a (small) U of M branch, but I don't know that there would be many jobs out there? Looks like it's about 1 1/2 hours from Fargo. Mostly farmland out there. If you want more of an "Alaskan" type place in Minnesota, I'd suggest the northeastern part of the state which is known for its lakes and forests.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
If the OP was talking about Herman MN....I have actually been there...as our NWS office covers Grant county where Herman is located and I have given spotter talks in the area. Herman is right on the edge of lake country with many many lakes just to the east and northeast of the area....Alexandria would the closest town for shopping, etc as Elbow Lake (the county seat of Grant county) doesnt have much. Overall terrain is rolling hills....farming is big and you are nearby lots of recreational activities for boating and fishing.

Herman itself is very small...typical small town....nothing spectacular but quiet.

Dan
meteorologist Grand Forks/EGF

Old 12-13-2007, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,467 times
I actually grew up in Herman, not to be confused with hermantown.
Herman is not a place i would live unless you want to farm. It is small, no job's available unless you want to start a business. Its a nice town but as far as someone wanting to start a new life it might be difficult to get a job.
Alexiandria and or morris are the nearest towns that would be the best option to get a job. However your commute would be 30 minutes to morris and about 40 minutes to Alexandria.
The housing market isn't that reasonable either so i guess realisitcally i know that almost everyone i grew up with moved away and everyone that graduated high school after me. People typically don't stay they leave cause there are no jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota