Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 81,451 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to relocate BACK to Minnesota in the near future. When we previously lived in MN our children were not school age, but now they are. So, I am wondering about school districts. Our son needs a small class size. He currently attends a private school, but that will no longer be possible if we move due to the higher housing costs in MN.

I have heard good things about ISD 196 and looked at their website, but my husband likes Plymouth, which is not in that school district. The Wayzata school district (which seems to include Plymouth) appears to have large class sizes based on some information that I have found.

My question is this -- it is worth living in Apple Valley or Eagan (which I like anyway, but schools are a big motivator) to be in ISD 196 because it is so great OR if we choose to live in Plymouth, Golden Valley, etc., are those school districts just as good?

Thanks so much for your input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 02:44 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
The Wayzata schools are just as good, if not better, than 196. Classes may be larger (I don't know), but you will hear more and better reviews about Wayzata, IMO.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:45 PM

138 posts, read 627,394 times
Hi, Missing! Wayzata schools are tops in the country. Best curriculum and very high test scores. The high school is very large but each grade has it's own principal and basically it's own floor. It gives it a smaller feel and is focused on providing the kids with an awesome education. It's a beautiful facility, as well.

We moved here from Chicago when my kid was just going into 9th grade. He knew no one here. Long story short, he loves it here and had an excellent experience at Wayzata. He has now graduated from the University of Minnesota and still has his buddies from high school.

Wayzata schools are located in Plymouth. Parts of Maple Grove, Minnetonka and Wayzata attend. Those towns are great, too. You won't be sorry if you move to Plymouth. It's a great family area, no question!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 26,173 times
We recently moved here from Texas, which is notorious for a poor education system. My son had only 18 to 20 students in his classes. He now attends school in Edina, noted as one of the "best in the nation". His class now has 27 kids. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextgirl View Post
We recently moved here from Texas, which is notorious for a poor education system. My son had only 18 to 20 students in his classes. He now attends school in Edina, noted as one of the "best in the nation". His class now has 27 kids. Needless to say I am very disappointed.
Smaller class size does not always equal a better education.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post

Exactly--in Texas he may have had one teacher for those 20 students, in Edina he most likely has a teacher and 3 aids keeping the actual student:teacher ratio low.

There is very little difference between most of the suburban schools in MN. 196 does rank as the top district in most polls/surveys/studies, etc. but while they may have gotten 99.5, Wayzata probalby got 99.3 (made up numbers). You will find that housing in most of the Wayzata district is much more expensive then you will find in Eagan, Apple Valley or Rosemount (196 towns) although Plymouth is probably comparable. Honestly, it usually comes down to commute and activities for the kids. Where is everyone working? What sports/activities do your kids like?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 AM

Thanks so much for the input!!! It is difficult to find helpful information on school districts on the internet! Also, if there is any difference in Special Education services, i.e. any district provides better services than the others that would be helpful to know. My oldest son needs speech therapy and occupational therapy and will for at least another year or two.

My husband will work downtown and my kids do piano, soccer and martial arts. How is the commute from Plymouth vs. Apple Valley? I am guessing it would be about the same because my husband lived in Plymouth when we met (although that was 10 years ago) and the traffic was always bad so the commute was fairly long. Maybe that is not true anymore.

Thanks again for the help!! I am really hoping that one of my husband's possible opportunities in Minnesota work out so we can move soon

Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 AM

138 posts, read 627,394 times
Hi, Missing! Plymouth is closer to downtown Minneapolis than Apple Valley. It's a straight shot down 394 or from Hwy. 55.

Wayzata has many special programs for students that need therapy. Here is the information for Wayzata...

Wayzata Public Schools Special Services Department
305 Vicksburg Lane
Plymouth, MN 55447
Phone: 763-745-5044
Fax: 763-745-5059

Hope that helps! ~ Jeanie

Old 11-11-2007, 12:11 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingMinnesota View Post
Thanks so much for the input!!! It is difficult to find helpful information on school districts on the internet! Also, if there is any difference in Special Education services, i.e. any district provides better services than the others that would be helpful to know. My oldest son needs speech therapy and occupational therapy and will for at least another year or two.

My husband will work downtown and my kids do piano, soccer and martial arts. How is the commute from Plymouth vs. Apple Valley? I am guessing it would be about the same because my husband lived in Plymouth when we met (although that was 10 years ago) and the traffic was always bad so the commute was fairly long. Maybe that is not true anymore.
Try Wayzata or Hopkins school districts. Parts of Plymouth belong to one or the other. The commute to downtown isn't so bad from Plymouth because you have the option of taking highway 55. In general, you want to avoid crossing rivers, not a joke and not 35W bridge related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Some kids need more attention. Besides, unless a child is extremely well adjusted and self confident, no child wants to be one of the masses.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 PM

Default What about Osseo school district?

Thanks again for the input everyone! What about Osseo school district? Apparently parts of Plymouth are in that district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota