Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 PM

480 posts, read 845,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
When you find out that trhe culture is far more sophisticated and extensive than where you are from (AZ), you can thank them (Minnesotans) for being grateful more often than boastful, though Minnesota has much to be proud of (Guthrie Theater, Walker Art Ctr, more theater seats than other cities outside of NYC, music scene, etc). As for the language quirks ("You betcha; don'tcha know"...), probably no one under the age of 50 uses them any longer but they can still be funny. Fargo was a great movie, but keep in mind it is a good 17 years old now.
Great thought, Chess. Thanks.

I certainly hope that nobody takes my comments as saying, in any way, that I think of Minnesota as a snowy wasteland populated by people who are in any way backward or uncultured. If I thought that for a second, I would never be planning to move there.

I'm more concerned that I'd say something ill-informed or insensitive. That's not because I'm ill-informed or insensitive, but because I'm still trying to figure out how to bust away from my wallflower spot and bust a move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM

127 posts, read 337,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Great thought, Chess. Thanks.

I certainly hope that nobody takes my comments as saying, in any way, that I think of Minnesota as a snowy wasteland populated by people who are in any way backward or uncultured. If I thought that for a second, I would never be planning to move there.

I'm more concerned that I'd say something ill-informed or insensitive. That's not because I'm ill-informed or insensitive, but because I'm still trying to figure out how to bust away from my wallflower spot and bust a move.
LOL, don't worry about that. Half of the states population considers it a snowy wasteland already. It isn't but we like to complain about the weather. Personally I love snow and cold so I'm usually complaining in July/August while everyone else is happy. Good luck on bustin' a move!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,524 times
I can't give you any tips or tricks but my family and I moved here a few years ago and, as a woman in her mid 20's, I can tell you the only way I've met people my age was through college and even then it's been tricky. Coming from a big city (I was born and raised in Tampa, FL), the town I live in (second largest in MN) has a very small-town-vibe about it. People know who they know and they all grew up together. They seem to feel no need to make new friends so it's difficult to penetrate that wall. I spent a year at the local community college and the atmosphere was much the same as what I can recall of middle school.

There's a lot to do here for fun if you keep an open mind and don't fall in with the wrong crowd (seems to be an issue with kids & drugs but that's normal in a small-town place, kids get bored). Lots of artsy stuff, community & seasonal events, the farmer's markets are fun if you're into all that healthy/natural/supporting your community stuff. You just have to be willing to put yourself out there a little more significantly than you would in a bigger city. My only qualms with MN are the lack of diversity and the 6 month long Winters. I'm moving back home soon because MN is just not a fit for me but I gave it 3 years and I can fully see others loving living here, particularly families and the elderly.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 PM

480 posts, read 845,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiAaby View Post
I can't give you any tips or tricks but my family and I moved here a few years ago and, as a woman in her mid 20's, I can tell you the only way I've met people my age was through college and even then it's been tricky. Coming from a big city (I was born and raised in Tampa, FL), the town I live in (second largest in MN) has a very small-town-vibe about it. People know who they know and they all grew up together. They seem to feel no need to make new friends so it's difficult to penetrate that wall. I spent a year at the local community college and the atmosphere was much the same as what I can recall of middle school.

There's a lot to do here for fun if you keep an open mind and don't fall in with the wrong crowd (seems to be an issue with kids & drugs but that's normal in a small-town place, kids get bored). Lots of artsy stuff, community & seasonal events, the farmer's markets are fun if you're into all that healthy/natural/supporting your community stuff. You just have to be willing to put yourself out there a little more significantly than you would in a bigger city. My only qualms with MN are the lack of diversity and the 6 month long Winters. I'm moving back home soon because MN is just not a fit for me but I gave it 3 years and I can fully see others loving living here, particularly families and the elderly.
This is great information, thank you! I appreciate the comments. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that people tend to be very reserved about building friendships, I'd have, well, several dollars.

I'm especially happy to hear your opinion about the recreational options - I'm not so much about healthy and natural, but I'm big on supporting my community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota