Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times

Advertisements

CNN: Some of The Kenya Mall Attackers Are From U.S. | TheBlaze.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 03:35 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,049 times
I've ALWAYS wondered how and why something has not happened here in our state yet having the largest pop. of Somalis outside of Mogadishu.

It very well may some day...

Old 09-22-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I've ALWAYS wondered how and why something has not happened here in our state yet having the largest pop. of Somalis outside of Mogadishu.

It very well may some day...
Attacking the United States of America is not an easy job.

I guess its easier for an American terrorist to go all the way to Kenya to kill non-Muslims.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:27 PM

I don't believe that at all. And it just said on KARE they are worried some will come back and try to hit us here.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I don't believe that at all. And it just said on KARE they are worried some will come back and try to hit us here.
So why did they have to travel all the way to Africa to kill non-muslims?
We have plenty of non-muslims here in Minnesota.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:34 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times
Time to send them "home"...

Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,069 times
Quote:
While they undoubtedly have links to other terrorist organizations, Al-Shabab is largely a nationalistic organization in Somalia. Those recruited here went back to what they perceive as being their historical homeland. Nairobi was chosen largely because of Kenya's recent participation in the attempts to control the general unrest in neighboring Somalia. Aside from the more difficult logistics of launching an attack in The United States, Al-Shabab is unlikely to see the US as a primary threat to Somalia.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
While they undoubtedly have links to other terrorist organizations, Al-Shabab is largely a nationalistic organization in Somalia. Those recruited here went back to what they perceive as being their historical homeland. Nairobi was chosen largely because of Kenya's recent participation in the attempts to control the general unrest in neighboring Somalia. Aside from the more difficult logistics of launching an attack in The United States, Al-Shabab is unlikely to see the US as a primary threat to Somalia.
My point is that many Somalis are Muslims, and we have more here than anywhere. There is already a gang problem with them in Minneapolis, and certainly there are Mosques there as well.

I'm just putting two and two together. If they ever got indoctrinated with radicalism and they wanted to hit a large metro, what better place than here because they're from here?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,069 times
Quote:
My point is that many Somalis are Muslims, and we have more here than anywhere. There is already a gang problem with them in Minneapolis, and certainly there are Mosques there as well.

I'm just putting two and two together. If they ever got indoctrinated with radicalism and they wanted to hit a large metro, what better place than here because they're from here?
I'm not suggesting that there is no threat of terrorism, here or elsewhere in The US. My point is simply that the local Somalis who become indoctrinated by Al-Shabab are interested in fighting for Somalia. An attack here wouldn't really further that cause. Their motivation comes more from their Somali nationalism, than from their Islamic religious beliefs.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,710 times
Wait how do we know that most Somalis are Muslim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota