Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 PM

7 posts, read 22,959 times

Advertisements

Hey, Im new to the site, but I wanted to say that I have lived in Minnesota all my life, and it is a great state.

I love how it has the cities, lots of things going on, good food, great culture, ALL 4 major sports teams (which is somewhat rare). You can get that whole big city feel.
At the same time you can venture 40-50 miles outside the metro, and be surrounded by some beautiful wilderness. Northern Minnesota, especially the BWCA is one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in the country in my opinion.

So yes, I think Minnesota deserves to be on this list, it is a great state (I think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 AM

137 posts, read 225,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well-except with going to NYC because you like the theater means paying $1800/month for a studio apartment in a not so nice area or taking a job in Texas means you have to live in Texas . New Hampshire is "#1 so it's not like NYC or Texas is better. I also disagree that you need to live in WA, TX or CA for a tech job give the diverse employment opportunities in MN. Point being, you can get all of the NYC stuff in MN for a fraction of the price.
You and I actually agree on this. And it's precisely why I choose to live in Minnesota. When you look at the big picture, it's pretty tough to beat. He can find a high-tech job. She can find a job in marketing. They can afford a nice three bedroom house in a safe neighborhood of a solid school district that's a reasonable commute for both of them. In the evening, they can go to the theater, a ballgame, a concert. On weekends, they can escape to outdoors. Although, that's not really necessary in many parts of Minnesota since most communities have a nice network of trails and parks. And when the time comes, Minnesota has tiny private colleges, huge public universities, and everything in between. Much like the rest of the state, they may not be the very best. But if you're looking for a college with a strong physics department, band program, and basketball team, you'll find one here.

But what if somebody only cares about a handful of those things? And they really care about it. Then you might put up with the overpriced apartment in a crummy neighborhood for the theater. The heat and generally inferior education in Texas may not bother you if you don't plan to have kids. The cost of living and earthquakes may not deter you if you want to be where Google, Oracle, Apple, and others have their headquarters.

That's what makes Minnesota special. It's the best at being good at everything. How often do you see a list of "Best states for ..." and Minnesota doesn't at least crack the top 10? It's pretty rare. The only thing that might be more rare is for Minnesota to be in the top 3. It happens. The things that come to mind for me are hockey and health care. But in just about anything else, some other place is better.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_shackleford View Post
You and I actually agree on this. And it's precisely why I choose to live in Minnesota. When you look at the big picture, it's pretty tough to beat. He can find a high-tech job. She can find a job in marketing. They can afford a nice three bedroom house in a safe neighborhood of a solid school district that's a reasonable commute for both of them. In the evening, they can go to the theater, a ballgame, a concert. On weekends, they can escape to outdoors. Although, that's not really necessary in many parts of Minnesota since most communities have a nice network of trails and parks. And when the time comes, Minnesota has tiny private colleges, huge public universities, and everything in between. Much like the rest of the state, they may not be the very best. But if you're looking for a college with a strong physics department, band program, and basketball team, you'll find one here.

But what if somebody only cares about a handful of those things? And they really care about it. Then you might put up with the overpriced apartment in a crummy neighborhood for the theater. The heat and generally inferior education in Texas may not bother you if you don't plan to have kids. The cost of living and earthquakes may not deter you if you want to be where Google, Oracle, Apple, and others have their headquarters.

That's what makes Minnesota special. It's the best at being good at everything. How often do you see a list of "Best states for ..." and Minnesota doesn't at least crack the top 10? It's pretty rare. The only thing that might be more rare is for Minnesota to be in the top 3. It happens. The things that come to mind for me are hockey and health care. But in just about anything else, some other place is better.
I'm glad you all are proud of your state, but this education elitism coming out of Minnesota is a little perplexing. Texas seems to be a primary target, and to suggest Texas has a generally inferior education system seems belied by the facts, just looking at high schools:

Search Texas High Schools | US News

If you compare that to the same rankings for Minnesota high schools, Texas looks far superior. Just one example, on its college readiness index, the highest rated Minnesota high school is Mahtomedi Senior High with an index of 58.5. This high school, the highest ranked in Minnesota, is rated 226 nationally. I stopped counting at 17 high schools in Texas ranked higher on the college readiness index than Minnesota's highest ranked high school, and Texas boasts the number one ranked HS in the country, plus numbers 14, 17, 24, 26, 41, 46 (I stopped counting after that). St Louis Missouri alone has 2 high schools ranked significantly higher than Minnesota's best.

Think also of the great Universities in Texas. There is probably a reason that despite having almost 26 million people Texas remains one of the fastest growing states in the country, and it isn't because the education system stinks. Given the size of the state and the issues with language and poverty in big cities, I'm sure it has many under-performing districts as well. That's probably a plus for Minnesota- it probably doesn't have the under-performing districts other states with more diversity and larger populations have to deal with.

I'm sure Minnesota has a fine education system, but to suggest it's far superior to any other state is a bit much.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneee View Post
I've lived in several other states around the country and I can't help thinking that Minnesota's cold weather keeps the people to a higher standard: you can't be an idiot when it's 20 below. And I can't imagine too many hoodlums wandering the streets looking for trouble when it's way below freezing. And you can't just show up here without a job or somewhere to live. You have to have your act together to live in Minnesota.
Hmmm, yes and no about hoodlums and idiots in the cold temps. I used to hear the saying: "the cold keeps the undesirables out". That is not true. How can it be? Plus, it isn't freezing all year.

It also doesn't help that Minnesota has a pretty generous and easy-to-get welfare system (not unless things have changed - I'm not a part of it). You have Chicago people (and others) coming in here and playing the system while, for example, skipping over Wisconsin since one of their past governors some years ago changed their system to make it less appealing to move in and take advantage of handouts.

Anyway, as I've stated in the past, I love living in Minnesota and believe the state, as a whole, has way more positive points than negative ones. However, freezing temps don't prevent some people from being idiots and we certainly have our fair show of those who don't have their act together. No place is perfect!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm glad you all are proud of your state, but this education elitism coming out of Minnesota is a little perplexing. Texas seems to be a primary target, and to suggest Texas has a generally inferior education system seems belied by the facts, just looking at high schools:

Search Texas High Schools | US News

If you compare that to the same rankings for Minnesota high schools, Texas looks far superior. Just one example, on its college readiness index, the highest rated Minnesota high school is Mahtomedi Senior High with an index of 58.5. This high school, the highest ranked in Minnesota, is rated 226 nationally. I stopped counting at 17 high schools in Texas ranked higher on the college readiness index than Minnesota's highest ranked high school, and Texas boasts the number one ranked HS in the country, plus numbers 14, 17, 24, 26, 41, 46 (I stopped counting after that). St Louis Missouri alone has 2 high schools ranked significantly higher than Minnesota's best.

Think also of the great Universities in Texas. There is probably a reason that despite having almost 26 million people Texas remains one of the fastest growing states in the country, and it isn't because the education system stinks. Given the size of the state and the issues with language and poverty in big cities, I'm sure it has many under-performing districts as well. That's probably a plus for Minnesota- it probably doesn't have the under-performing districts other states with more diversity and larger populations have to deal with.

I'm sure Minnesota has a fine education system, but to suggest it's far superior to any other state is a bit much.
whenever we are putting down schools in other states, we are only referring to the dumb ones.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
whenever we are putting down schools in other states, we are only referring to the dumb ones.
Well that makes sense then, thanks.

And in all seriousness, I think you have a great state. I was only there once, in the summer, but thought it was terrific. Lots of flies though.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:16 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
LOL New Hampshire. Who cares about New Hampshire? It's never heard in the news because nothing happens there. Not to mention its largest city of Manchester is only the size of Rochester, LOL. Its entire population is less than half that of the Twin Cities and only about a fifth of Minnesota's. And what is there to do besides marvel at the pretty fall colors?

Old 02-13-2014, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,431 times
LOL yea right, there are a lot better states then Minnesota. Vermont and texas I like a hella lot better.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4u2014 View Post
LOL yea right, there are a lot better states then Minnesota. Vermont and texas I like a hella lot better.
What's there to do in Vermont? And what makes Texas so much better?

Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4u2014 View Post
Sort of funny, since those starts are such polar opposites in so, so many ways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota