Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM

58 posts, read 137,213 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to make an updated thread on this place.

Thinking about here also. I like what I've been able to research. (and no I'm not going to start a new thread for every city lol)

It's like 4 miles away from St. Paul... seems to be very safe. Or safer than the MPLS area.

Just wanted anyone who has lived here or been through there.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,127,944 times
Stillwater is a great town. It's more than 4 miles from St. Paul but it's a very safe area.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 PM

434 posts, read 682,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcynd View Post
Just wanted to make an updated thread on this place.

Thinking about here also. I like what I've been able to research. (and no I'm not going to start a new thread for every city lol)

It's like 4 miles away from St. Paul... seems to be very safe. Or safer than the MPLS area.

Just wanted anyone who has lived here or been through there.

Thanks.
Spent a couple of days there about 1 1/2 years ago. It is a tourist destination, esp. for the Twin Cities. Lots of shops, bars, live music, and of course a major river. Seemed like a nice place.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:10 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,271,942 times
I lived there for 5 years. Great town, about 20 minutes from St. Paul. Great schools, good medical resources, great library, good shopping, lots of fun things to discover, and very scenic. I wish I lived there now, but rent is quite high. Rentals go VERY quickly. I would like to get back there someday.

Lots of independent businesses there. Like that. Great customer service.

Stillwater is one of MN best kept secrets IMO.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,651,783 times
Where will you be working? Stillwater is great, but it's a long haul from Minneapolis (not so bad from St. Paul, obviously, although more than 4 miles). Stillwater still feels like a town, not a suburb, which is nice.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Where will you be working? Stillwater is great, but it's a long haul from Minneapolis (not so bad from St. Paul, obviously, although more than 4 miles). Stillwater still feels like a town, not a suburb, which is nice.
Not really....

Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,651,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not really....
Golfgal, I've been to Stillwater. It IS a long distance from Minneapolis. Now granted, some people don't mind, but it's silly to suggest that it's somehow nearby. I realize that what feels "long" is going to vary by person, and clearly you don't mind extensive periods in the car, but in the context of the Twin Cities, the 30 miles between Stillwater and downtown Minneapolis is one of the longer commutes around. I know and work with people who do it (and worse) -- but I doubt any of them would tell anyone it was a short commute. Is it worth it? For some people, yes. But let's not pretend that if the OP is working in Minneapolis or on the Minneapolis side of the metro area that it's just a hop and a skip away to get to Stillwater.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Golfgal, I've been to Stillwater. It IS a long distance from Minneapolis. Now granted, some people don't mind, but it's silly to suggest that it's somehow nearby. I realize that what feels "long" is going to vary by person, and clearly you don't mind extensive periods in the car, but in the context of the Twin Cities, the 30 miles between Stillwater and downtown Minneapolis is one of the longer commutes around. I know and work with people who do it (and worse) -- but I doubt any of them would tell anyone it was a short commute. Is it worth it? For some people, yes. But let's not pretend that if the OP is working in Minneapolis or on the Minneapolis side of the metro area that it's just a hop and a skip away to get to Stillwater.
Wow..you've been to Stillwater, I lived there. It's an easy commute into both St. Paul and Minneapolis on a 4 lane, 65 MPH freeway...hardly a difficult commute. 30 minutes is not a bad commute anywhere in the metro. Getting into Downtown Minneapolis from Stillwater is far easier than most commutes in the metro. Given you don't drive and don't understand they dynamics of freeway driving vs driving on 30 mph roads with stop signs every block, you won't ever get how it IS easier to commute from the suburbs....for you anything that you can't walk to is "long" and given your fear of busy roads, I'll just disregard your opinion on something you have no experience with at all...

Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 AM

127 posts, read 336,300 times
No, my drive in to St. Paul from Monticello is long. I'm with Golfgal on this one.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:01 AM

871 posts, read 1,082,708 times
Stillwater is beautiful, both the natural landscape and the buildings. I personally would not do the commute to the Twin Cities but a lot of people are more "commute resilient" than I am, so that's really a matter of personal preference (i.e.: there's no objectively 'easy' commute, really - it depends on what you're willing to put up with). If I were at all interested in living in small town, Stillwater would definitely be one I would consider. Beauty aside, I think the fact that it is very touristy means that restaurants and shops are a notch or two above what one would normally expect in a town its size. Conversely, the tourism means a lot more traffic on many summer weekends than you might expect. I've had the foolish tendency to go there during some of it's busiest weekends and experienced bumper-to-bumper traffic down the main drag. Side streets even then were a whole lot quieter, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota