U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 12:07 PM

17 posts, read 53,223 times

Advertisements

Looking for some feedback on "living in Winona". I have heard it's quite scenic and has a great "cultural scene" such as arts, music and coffeehouses. ???
How is the hiking and does it offer any forested areas? Any info would be great! Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 AM

80 posts, read 548,235 times
I've lived in Winona my whole life except for 5 years that we moved to IN, SC and WI for my husband's job. I love it here. To me, the people are much friendlier than anywhere we've ever lived, but I have talked to "outsiders" that have moved here, and they felt that some natives are slow to warm up to them. It is a very beautiful area with the bluffs, the lake and the river. The air is clean. There are a few coffeehouses and quite a few sandwich shops, both local and chains (Quizno's, etc.) There is a lot of outdoor recreation. Hiking in the bluffs is awesome. There are caves up there to explore (I don't do it anymore but did when I was a kid in Girl Scouts). There are two or three state parks closeby that have woods and right across the river from Winona in Wisconsin, there is a lot of woods. My husband is a huge fishing fanatic and loves to fish the river. There are also lots of family and community events that are low cost or free throughout the year. The cost of living is relatively low compared to the places we've lived and the city water is also good compared to other places we've lived. Crime is pretty low, although somewhat higher since I was a kid. One negative is you are pretty limited in selection of stores and restaurants, but a lot of people just run up to La Crosse, Wisconsin, which is 28 miles away and a very scenic drive, and they have a large mall and most of the big chain department stores, specialty stores and restaurants. I don't know if you're into biking, but there is a great bike path around the lake (I believe it's 7 miles) and absolutely beautiful in the summer time.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:08 AM

80 posts, read 548,235 times
In regards to music and art, for a town this size, they have quite a variety. There is a church that was converted into an art center that has, I believe, classes and they show independent and foreign films and have other art displays. St. Mary's University puts on many plays, ballets, concerts, symphonies, etc. They also just built a marine art museum in town which I just visited for the first time a few weeks ago that's definitely worth going to (probably not too interesting to children, though; we took our 7 and 9 year old and they weren't too crazy about it). There are also more major events in La Crosse, WI and Rochester, MN (44 miles away) at their civic centers, like major concerts and art shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota