Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,306 times

Advertisements

I'd like some input on safety in Rochester - specifically about the intersection of 1st Street SW & 7th Avenue SW. I found a small apartment for rent in a multi-unit house in that area but unsure what the neighborhood is like. It's an inexpensive studio (trying to keep costs down as a student), but it seems to be near Dorothy Day Hospitality House (homeless shelter) and Raymond Apartments (anyone have experience with this place?) and I am not sure whether there are any concerns about this area. I am relocating from across the country and will not be able to see the apartment/area before going there. Will it be okay walking home from class late at night (as a female) and living alone in a building in this area?

Also, the apartment has street only parking. Will this be an issue? Are spaces usually available in this area? Is it going to be a pain to have to park on alternating sides on certain days? I wasn't sure whether covered parking/garage was absolutely necessary. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,442 times
I know people in that neighborhood who really love living there. I'm not sure about parking or walking home at night. However, depending on the time, being near the hospital there will be lots of people walking to their vehicles at the ends of their shifts and such so you wouldn't be the only one. Check out Rochester911.com | Crime & Fire Incident Maps and Reports for Rochester, MN and Surrounding Communities for crimes reported. You can zoom in on the neighborhood and pick dates and types of crime as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:02 PM

137 posts, read 225,649 times
Rochester in general is very safe. There is relatively little crime, and even less that targets random victims. A handful of spots scattered around town seem to pop up slightly more often in the news. I have not heard about any trouble in that particular area. It's really close to the Mayo employee fitness center. That's one of the busier areas in town after dark. So there are plenty of non trouble-making folks out and about. As long as you take basic safety precautions, you should be okay. Lock your car and don't leave valuables in it. Don't openly brandish a thousand dollars of Apple gadgets while completely immersed in your music. Rochester is small enough that you'll quickly meet some friendly neighbors, learn who belongs, and recognize anything suspicious.

Overall, that should be a very convenient area- assuming you're going to school with either Mayo or UMR and not RCTC. You're within a few blocks of the Mayo campus. You'll be able to walk to and from without worrying about bus schedules.

Ordinarily, uncovered street parking can be a bit of a hassle with Minnesota winters, but in your case it may not matter as much. I doubt you'd need to take your car out more than twice per week. There are several options for basic shopping and groceries within reasonable walking distance. I think you have to get a residential parking permit from the city in that area. They charge a nominal fee of something like $10, I think. Basically, they just restrict the street parking to neighborhood residents to prevent Mayo employees from taking all the spots during the day. Rochester ordinances for street parking when it snows are permissive to a fault. You may want to check with the city, though. I don't know the technical rules because I have a garage.

The biggest problem with that area may be the crows. They'll poop on the sidewalks. They'll poop on you. But you may be just far enough west that they won't poop on your car. Plopping a well-lit and predator-free downtown area in the middle of farm country attracts an enormous crow population. They're worst at dawn and dusk in the spring and fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: