Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 AM

13 posts, read 68,924 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering the purchase of a retirement/vacation home in northern Minnesota on 20 or more acres of land. For a variety of reasons, we don't want hunters or snowmobilers using the property. I understand that when land ownership changes hands, things can get unpleasant if people already living in the area have become accustomed to hunting or snowmobiling on the property and suddenly find themselves unwelcome. I don't want bad relations with my new neighbors -- but neither do I want to feel like I have to compromise on this. I'm wondering about the effectiveness of "no hunting - no trespassing" signs. Do any of you now living in rural areas have experience with this sort of thing? I understand that hunting and snowmobiling are a BIG deal in northern Minnesota!

Thanks for any ideas any of you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 08:21 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
You may want to start by posting "No Trespassing" or "No Hunting" sineage. We've had a problem (and are on 1/2 acre) with snowmobilers using our yard as a bypass and wreaking havoc on our lawn and sprinkler system.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:11 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhartong View Post
My husband and I are considering the purchase of a retirement/vacation home in northern Minnesota on 20 or more acres of land. For a variety of reasons, we don't want hunters or snowmobilers using the property. I understand that when land ownership changes hands, things can get unpleasant if people already living in the area have become accustomed to hunting or snowmobiling on the property and suddenly find themselves unwelcome. I don't want bad relations with my new neighbors -- but neither do I want to feel like I have to compromise on this. I'm wondering about the effectiveness of "no hunting - no trespassing" signs. Do any of you now living in rural areas have experience with this sort of thing? I understand that hunting and snowmobiling are a BIG deal in northern Minnesota!

Thanks for any ideas any of you might have.
Looks like your from NoVA. Not exactly the South, but close.

I've heard down there people tend to be more restrictive about strangers trespassing on their land. I believe the law here is that outside the 5-county metro area and agricultural lands, you must have your property signed a certain way. This kind of signage has become very common in the past few years.

About five years ago, there were virtually no "No Trespassing" signs near where I lived. I ATV'ed and hiked almost anywhere around here, as long as I wasn't in sight of someone's house (which could be considered invasive). Now people have bought up the land and the "No Trespassing" signs are going out everywhere.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,039 times
Early settlers brought with them the concept of almansratten. Sadly, this is being forgotten. Mutual respect and courtesy seems to have been set aside in the interests of the "I paid money therefore I have the right" generation.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:54 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Early settlers brought with them the concept of almansratten. Sadly, this is being forgotten. Mutual respect and courtesy seems to have been set aside in the interests of the "I paid money therefore I have the right" generation.
I agree, the sense of community that used to be common place is now sadly missing. Money equals entitlement in our modern consumeristic society. But this doesn't address a solution for rhartong. Part of the reason some may want to post the no trespassing signs could be because some younger snowmobilers are also guilty of acting with an over-developed sense of entitlement - "I bought this machine and I'll drive it where I please!"

In the old days both sides would be more respectful.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:08 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
RonEB-exactly-it's some who believe they have self-entitlement to utilize and abuse others properties that are the reason for the sign.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:44 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
You may want to start by posting "No Trespassing" or "No Hunting" sineage. We've had a problem (and are on 1/2 acre) with snowmobilers using our yard as a bypass and wreaking havoc on our lawn and sprinkler system
Good luck with that!!!! They just get torn down. I suggest learning to accept the things you cannot change. Especially the farther North you go. I actually tend to see your point but you'll be hard pressed to control a large tract of land with signs. WARNING! Do not think you can get away with a cable or fence to stop ATV's or Snowmobiles. You'll hurt or kill someone then it's all over but the crying....As you clean out your life saveings...

Old 12-09-2007, 02:54 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. But then again, did allemansrätten exist when most of Minnesota's Scandinavian immigrants came?

Old 12-09-2007, 03:38 PM

97 posts, read 326,742 times
this is something I have never understood. The way I was raised, I would never ever consider stepping on private land that someone else owned. Even further south, snowmobilers think they can go whereever they please.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:50 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,750 times
I'm watching this thread with interest. Maybe it has become more of a concern over time as people now have noisy equipment that can upset livestock and animals.

A friend has horses and has had problems had a neighbor's child riding his ATV over their property, despite requests (to the child's father, so he is aware of the problem) to stop doing so. Her daughter was on a horse and the kid (on ATV) deliberately charged at the horse. Someone could be hurt like that. It's that kind of poor behavior that has caused her to begin researching ways to put up a physical barrier. Mutual respect and courtesy are fine until you are not being given any in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota