Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else watch this? Cool that it is supposedly set in Bemidji - or the first episode was, anyway. Some scenes were supposed to be in Duluth. The show was actually filmed in the Calgary area, though. I was wondering if some of the exteriors were shot in Duluth or Bemidji? Nothing looked familiar.

For those who watched/will watch, what do you think of the accents used? I thought that the British actor Martin Freeman was doing a William H. Macy immitation rather than a real regional accent or behavior.

I liked the show, but I can see a bunch of people from other parts of the country asking us if we really talk that way and if Minnesota is really that cold and drab.

What did the rest of you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
we really talk that way and it's really cold here

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
we really talk that way and it's really cold here
I second that.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Why wouldn't they set the location of "Fargo" in Fargo???

Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why wouldn't they set the location of "Fargo" in Fargo???
The original Movie was set in Brainerd but the Cohen brothers thought the name FARGO would be better than BRAINERD.

Great start to this new series. So much better than I expected. If you liked the Movie it's worth the watch. It airs again tonight at 11:21 Minnesota Time on FX.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 AM

127 posts, read 337,431 times
Billy Bob is great in this show. I'm liking it more than the movie (after 1 episode LOL)

Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
FX’s ‘Fargo’ Premiere Delivers 2.65 Million Viewers, 1 Million Adults 18-49 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Old 04-17-2014, 09:05 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
I definitely like the show, but I think it lacks the nuance that the movie had. The movie was all in good fun, but you could tease out some meaning to it as well. So far the TV show has been a gore fest with the humorous addition that it's located in our backyards.

I found it sort of funny that they filmed it elsewhere, but were still able to get the include landmarks in scenes like the Lift Bridge in Duluth...except put it in the complete wrong place. I suppose nobody but natives to the Duluth area would realize that though.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I definitely like the show, but I think it lacks the nuance that the movie had. The movie was all in good fun, but you could tease out some meaning to it as well. So far the TV show has been a gore fest with the humorous addition that it's located in our backyards.

I found it sort of funny that they filmed it elsewhere, but were still able to get the include landmarks in scenes like the Lift Bridge in Duluth...except put it in the complete wrong place. I suppose nobody but natives to the Duluth area would realize that though.
That's how filming works - establishing shots. A shot of the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower or the Sydney Opera House to establish the setting, even though all the filming might be done in Southern California.

As for the wrong place, remember the film? The two kidnappers are driving into the Cities from the north (the Brainerd area), and one of them comments on the IDS Center and how it's one of the tallest buildings in the Midwest. But the perspective of the IDS through the windshield was clearly shot on 35W, south (not north) of downtown, just before it jogs east and parallels 94.

The shot just worked better that way and it's fiction, not a documentary.

Also, in the movie the outside shots were mostly filmed in North Dakota due to a lack of local snow-cover during an unusually early onset of spring that year. Even the statue of Paul Bunyan was filmed in North Dakota. Interestingly, neither of the only two scenes actually set in North Dakota in a filmed called Fargo (the initial meeting in Fargo between Jerry and the kidnappers, and the late scene where Jerry is arrested outside Bismarck) were filmed in NE Minneapolis and Forest Lake, respectively. But as long as the scene is plausible for its setting, it matters not where it was shot.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post

Definitely lacking in nuance. It also lacked enough plausibility to pull me in. The "bully" was so over the top and the protagonist was also lacking in real life layers--he was depicted as so exceptionally one-dimensional (the incompetent, loser, wimp). The whole episode felt rather amateurish to me. It's too bad, I was looking forward to this show.

It did make me recall my years in Fargo though. Brrrr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota