Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 11,940 times

Advertisements

The thread title speaks for itself. Or are there multiple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Maybe a part of St. Cloud? Depends on what you call dangerous, I guess.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
St. Louis??

I agree--define dangerous.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Last year I saw some kids shooting off bottle rockets in North Branch near Forest Ave by the high school, man...someone could lose an eye doing that.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 AM

137 posts, read 225,556 times
This thread can only serve to needlessly slander areas based primarily on rumors and hearsay. I could nominate a few places, but that's based entirely on speculation. It also completely misses the true nature of crime- assuming that's what you mean by danger- in smaller cities, towns, and rural areas.

As you ascend Earth's atmosphere, the temperature drops. Eventually, though you reach a point where the temperature starts going up with altitude. At the outermost reaches, the temperature is technically in the thousands of degrees. But the air is so thin that you'd freeze if you were actually in it. At least in my observations, crime seems to follow a similar pattern. Spread people out far enough and that means that troublemakers are not likely to bump into you. It also means that they're a little bit more bold because fewer people are watching and law enforcement has a larger area to cover. In this regard, you really can't pinpoint a neighborhood in the same sense as you would in a city like Minneapolis.

I've lived within the city limits of smaller towns for most of my life. Unless your head is in the sand, it's pretty hard to miss the "danger". A ramshackle house across the alley from a parochial school in a city of 100 mysteriously burned down. The locals who consider crime to be mowing the lawn on Sunday probably never suspected it may have been a meth lab. Take a drive on a county road. Count how many times you see an old car or two parked by a bridge. I don't think they're all out fishing. Actually, in this regard rural crime probably isn't much different than in the big city. Most houses that mysteriously burn down probably aren't meth labs. And most cars parked by bridges probably aren't drug dealers. A few of them could be, though. In this regard, it's not that much different than the big city. Most people who look suspicious are harmless. Closing time at the watering hole is one thing that is the same in Minneapolis as at a sleepy crossroads in the country.

That said, I'm still more afraid of my neighbor's dog and text messaging drivers than any mysterious figures in the shadows.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_shackleford View Post
This thread can only serve to needlessly slander areas based primarily on rumors and hearsay. I could nominate a few places, but that's based entirely on speculation. It also completely misses the true nature of crime- assuming that's what you mean by danger- in smaller cities, towns, and rural areas.

You are right on the mark and I agree. If c-d members have a say, then I vote this thread be closed. There are other ways the OP can go about his research. Encouraging hate and discontent here just doesn't sound like a good idea, to me anyway.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:30 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Most dangerous neighborhood? Hmmm...are we factoring in risk of bear attack or falling through the hole while ice fishing?

Old 04-26-2014, 12:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I'm sure "dangerous" is HIGHLY overstated, but there are neighborhoods with higher than average crime rates. Even in those neighborhoods, however, if you're not engaging in illegal behavior yourself or hanging out with those who are, then you're not at much personal risk. Honestly, if worried about safety, I'd be most worried about risks of being in a car accident, as that's your biggest danger, statistically.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:39 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
You are right on the mark and I agree. If c-d members have a say, then I vote this thread be closed. There are other ways the OP can go about his research. Encouraging hate and discontent here just doesn't sound like a good idea, to me anyway.
I agree...

Old 04-26-2014, 06:32 PM

67 posts, read 67,998 times
Are the Twin Cities even that "dangerous"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota