Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:03 PM

8 posts, read 74,637 times

Advertisements

I have been teaching sixth grade at a middle school in Nebraska for two years and just got my Minnesota license. We are planning on moving in June. I understand that I have to take the test within the first year of having my Minnesota license. What makes it so hard? Is there any way to prepare? I was also planning on subbing until I got a position if I did not get one right away. We are looking at Duluth. Any advice? My husband is a mason. It seems like there are quite a few masonry companies but I wasn't sure about the job availability. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,724 times
Smile looking for rural teaching position

I ran across your thread while searching the web for advice in finding a RURAL teaching position. My husband says nay to Alaska, but there MUST be more northern rural locations in need of teachers. I'm an experienced credentialed teacher looking to move to the boonies. Seriously. Any ideas?

Mindy

Old 06-30-2009, 07:57 PM

292 posts, read 887,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minwhit View Post
I ran across your thread while searching the web for advice in finding a RURAL teaching position. My husband says nay to Alaska, but there MUST be more northern rural locations in need of teachers. I'm an experienced credentialed teacher looking to move to the boonies. Seriously. Any ideas?

Mindy
My wife is a teacher and here are the sites that she uses to search for jobs.

St. Cloud State University Career Services Job Listings

MNASA

Find teaching jobs, school jobs, education jobs at SchoolSpring.com!

Short of googling the school district in each and every town these are your best shots for finding teaching jobs in MN.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,144,251 times
I have a friend who is a band teacher who is working on his masters. He had to resort to a small rural town (Renville, MN I believe). I think band teaching jobs are a little tougher to come by, but I don't know about other subjects.

However I always felt the world would be better off with a few less English teachers ;-)

Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM

4,818 posts, read 6,823,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I have a friend who is a band teacher who is working on his masters. He had to resort to a small rural town (Renville, MN I believe). I think band teaching jobs are a little tougher to come by, but I don't know about other subjects.

However I always felt the world would be better off with a few less English teachers ;-)
I'm sure the hardest jobs to find in Minnesota, like around Sioux Falls area are the elementary teaching positions. Some people around here have to substitute for years or be willing to move to a remote school. In this area, math & science positions are getting more competitive also. People aren't retiring as fast I believe. Blame it on the economy.

One position that I've heard that many schools are having a harder time filling is for band instructors. I was surprised to see you mention that it was harder to find. Funny how some times you hear one thing and then hear the opposite.

If a person is new to teaching and needs some experience (and oh what an experience it can be) there are many teaching openings on the reservations. Pay is also above average because of the need. You can also get a large chunk of your student loans forgiven. It is a good way to build a resume.

I agree. Hated those english teachers.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 29,028 times
My knowledge of teaching jobs is rather limited since my only connection is a bunch of my friends who tried to get teaching jobs after graduating college. You already have teaching experience so it may be easier for you to get a job than some newbie. That being said, out of my five good friends who all graduated with degrees in English and passed the MN licensing exam to become teachers, only one found a teaching job. And he did have to resort to living in a pretty small town (New Ulm). There are lots of applicants who are applying for these jobs. Of course since I don't have anything do to with the hiring, I cannot give you an exact number, but honestly the person who said there are 100 or more applicants for most teaching jobs is probably not far off.

Good luck with your job search.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:34 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,144,251 times
The Unemployment rate climbed to 9.5% in June, highest in 30+ years.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,970,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
The Unemployment rate climbed to 9.5% in June, highest in 30+ years.
It's "only" around 8.2% in the state of MN, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota