Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times

Advertisements

I have just returned home to Rapid City from MSP. I noticed you have no food nor sales tax. Is your income tax high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 11:08 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
There's no food!?! What do people eat?

Yes there is a sales tax, just not on food bought from a grocery store, you'll pay a tax at a restaurant, though. There is also not sales tax on clothes. State income tax is like 8.5%, but I am sure that someone will correct me on that.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:48 PM

29 posts, read 105,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Yes there is a sales tax, just not on food bought from a grocery store, you'll pay a tax at a restaurant, though. There is also not sales tax on clothes. State income tax is like 8.5%, but I am sure that someone will correct me on that.
Minnesota state tax is 6.5% but some towns add to that for their own tax. St Cloud, for instance, charges 8% (6.5% State of MN + 0.5% St. Cloud area sales and use tax + 1.0% City of St. Cloud). Other towns don't add on any city tax so it is just the 6.5%. There is no tax on food (except prepared deli or restaurant type food, candy, gum. pop and other drinks that contain sweeteners, alcoholic beverages). There is also no tax on clothes, prescriptions, and some OTC drugs (this just started this past year, and I still have problems with stores trying to charge me tax on some of these item). To determine if an over-the-counter item is an exempt drug, you must look at the label to see if it the label in-cludes a “Drug Facts” panel, or a list of active ingredients. For example, eye drops are taxable unless they have an active ingredient or have a Drug Facts panel on the label. Examples of exempt prescribed and over-the-counter drugs are:
• acne medications
• alcohol (rubbing)
• analgesics (aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, naproxen, etc.)
• antacids
• antibiotic creams and ointments
• antifungal creams and sprays
• antihistamines
• antiseptics
• birth control (pills and patches)
• burn remedies
• Chapstick, Blistex
• contraceptives (gels and foams)
• cold and cough medi-cines, drops and lozenges
• decongestants
• diaper rash creams (Desitin, Balmex)
• enema preparations
• eye drops (Visine, tears and lubricants, but not saline solution)
• hydrogen peroxide
• insulin
• laxatives
• Metamucil
• oxygen
• prescription medicines
• rubs (Vicks, Ben-Gay, etc.)
• sleeping pills
• smoking cessation gum and patches
• Vaseline
• yeast infection medications

There is a whole list of pdf files that outline what is and what isn't taxed on the MN state tax website, go to http://www.taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/h...ications.shtml, then choose Fact Sheets, then Sales Tax. The direct link is here, but I don't know if it will work.
http://www.taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/s..._by_name.shtml

Old 12-18-2007, 07:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Income taxes are high but property taxes are lower then you will find in South Dakota. It pretty much comes out as a wash between the two for most people. You will also find that you get what you pay for, MN is one of the higher taxed states in the nation but with that you get good schools, good services, good roads, etc. We lived in South Dakota for a few years and it was immediately noticeable the difference in the service levels between the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota