Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesotans & Auto Detailing Love it, Hate it, Don't think it's important?
I enjoy having my car detailed and think it's important for my vehicle. 1 9.09%
I don't get my car detailed because it's too expensive. 5 45.45%
I go to the Car Wash because I think it does the same thing as a Detail 2 18.18%
What is Auto Detailing again??? 4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM

9 posts, read 10,235 times

Advertisements

I post this question for a specific reason. I want to see how Minnesotans feel about Auto Detailing, as I'm contemplating opening a Detail Business in Twin Cities. I won't post my business name or any advertisements about it on here. This is what you could call research. If you are willing to discuss please answer a couple questions for me:

Do you get your vehicle Detailed? If so how regularly?

Why do you get your car Detailed, or why not?

If you do get your car Detailed, do you go to the same Detailer or Shop to have it done each time? How did you find or hear about the Detailer or Detailers that you go to?

How far do you drive to get your car detailed, or do they come to you at your home, or work?

Would you be interested in Premium Eco-Friendly and Waterless Detailing that produces similar or better results then those that use water?

Anyone who is willing to talk about these questions would be helping me out greatly. I am from Minneapolis area, and travel through both Minneapolis and St. Paul often, and I want to be able to see no more rusted out cars on the roads! Also I want to see shiny clean vehicles like we see in Florida, and California on our highways and streets. I guess that was part of my motivation for this. I hope that this is not considered advertising, because again I am not doing this for that reason. I simply want to see the interest that us Minnesotans as a whole have towards Auto Detailing.

Thanks for your cooperation, and hope to hear from you soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 AM

464 posts, read 802,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepsfwd View Post
I am from Minneapolis area, and travel through both Minneapolis and St. Paul often, and I want to be able to see no more rusted out cars on the roads! Also I want to see shiny clean vehicles like we see in Florida, and California on our highways and streets.
Note that the climate in Minnesota is a bit different than that of California and Florida. That's probably the largest obstacle right there. Detailing a car is pretty much pointless for at least a third of the year, if not longer.

I've never had it done, myself, nor is it common among people I know. However, I could see a need for it among people who drive clients around (realtors, salespeople, etc) or who own collector's cars.

Plus, the culture around cars seems to be somewhat different here; it's geared more towards practicality than appearance. People certainly own nice cars, but more for the quality (or perceived quality) rather than showing off.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Default Re-educating my fellow Minnesotans

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Note that the climate in Minnesota is a bit different than that of California and Florida. That's probably the largest obstacle right there. Detailing a car is pretty much pointless for at least a third of the year, if not longer.
Thank you for your honesty. That seems to be the sentiment that I get from people in our area. I see that one of the biggest obstacles to me starting the business is re-educating people on what Detailing is, and what it does for your vehicle. All the research I've done, the work I have been doing on mine and others cars has proven that Detailing a vehicle, if done right is not just to make the car "shiny".

Getting the car detailed is a great way to restore, maintain and protect your vehicle. Your car is your investment, whether it's a 2014 Maserati, or a daily driver Honda Odyssey (I'm not talking down to the daily driver's, they are just as important if not more important then the big investment vehicles).

You've made a big investment there, and as soon as it drives off the lot, it depreciates in value. If you want to re-sell your car later, then having your car detailed thoroughly is necessary to keep it free of rust and decay. Or If you plan on keeping it, wouldn't you want it to last as long as possible? That is the most important part of detailing, the shine comes next.

Here's what Detailing is:
At a car detailing service professionals using special tools will clean your vehicle of dirt and road grime, both inside and out and in detail. In addition to having a very clean car, the process of car detailing will also help to keep the vehicle in excellent condition and therefore retain more resale value. The challenge when shopping for a detailing service is finding one that will cover all of the required aspects of detailing. (More useful information here:What Should a Full Car Detailing Service Include? - CarsDirect)

I hear you though. You may be worried about spending money on a detail service in winter because you don't want to have your car be dirtied up the next week after you paid all this money for a Detail. I understand that. But isn't it better that your car is protected from all that harsh road salt and grime, and that the next time you get it cleaned it will be easier because your car is still protected? It will stay cleaner longer with a good detail too. This is what I want my fellow Minnesotans to remember when thinking about Car Detailing.

I'd love more thoughtful posts from my neighbors!

What are the benefits of Auto Detailing? | Angies List

Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 PM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
[edit]My apologies, I completely missed the part of your post where you mentioned opening in the Minneapolis area. Feel free to ignore the rest of my post [/edit]

This isn't detailing necessarily, but in the Duluth/Superior area at least, we are severely lacking in "nice" full service car washes. We have plenty of DIY washes and brushless automated washes (aka Holiday/Super America) but only one chain of full service washes (London Road Car Wash). I'm not familiar with the Minneapolis area market for these and am sure there are more of these businesses than up north; just how many more, I'm not sure.

Judging by the lines on nice summer days at the London Road Car Wash, it certainly seems to get plenty of business. Additionally, since London Road Car Wash is the only game in town, I don't think that they really have any reason to improve, which is probably why there service is sub-par (IMO). Their facilities feel old when compared to places I've visited in Minneapolis and Chicago area and service is generally poor. I've always wished we had some nicer car detailing/washing facilities.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
In south Florida I had my car detailed every 3-4 months professionally (not just witha car servicing). Here - I can't be bothered. I will vacuum and clean it myself but 1) I don't have a long commute or otherwise spend significant time in the car; 2) it's not worth it - especially in winter and spring.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 AM

To me, if it made sense in FL to Detail a car, it is as important or more here. We have contaminants during the winter and spring that can really compromise a cars body and paint. And even though you can't possibly protect every nook and cranny from rust, cleaning your right, or having it done for you can go a long way in preserving your investments.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepsfwd View Post
To me, if it made sense in FL to Detail a car, it is as important or more here. We have contaminants during the winter and spring that can really compromise a cars body and paint. And even though you can't possibly protect every nook and cranny from rust, cleaning your right, or having it done for you can go a long way in preserving your investments.
The car I have now in vs what I'd have in SFL is significantly less expensive and a bit older. Just not an investment worth a lot of effort because of the weather and the limited commute.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:16 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Oh....this is a subject near and dear to my heart and one which I have opinions on, so I'll share with you.

People mentioned the weather around here being a mitigating factor. We have crappy weather (frequent showers, a long snowy season etc...) around here, sure, but why does that have to mean we can't have our cars cleaned more often if necessary ? I realize you can't keep them spotless here at all times, but that doesn't mean you should just let them get trashy looking all the time either.

Another thing that I've always wished, and this pertains to out climate difficulties, I wish you could get the inside cleaned without having the outside fully washed. Perhaps just a quick rinse to get the salt off, but a full clean for the inside. There are so many days when the streets are slushy and it makes no sense that day to have a full wash, but a quick rinse to get the salt off and a full cleaning inside would sure be nice. However, to my knowledge nobody offers that service. it's either all, or nothing.

Below are your questions along with my answers below:

Do you get your vehicle Detailed? If so how regularly?
Yes, but not as often as I'd like due to the lack of a place I can just drive in and get a good quality job done. If you want a better than mediocre/poor job done, you'll either have to do it yourself, or make an appointment at a "detail" shop and pay $100/150 to not be disappointed in the job. As someone else pointed out, we have only a few options in town for "drive in" service and in my opinion neither does a very good job if you use an objective standard. My brother lives in the LA area and has his car washed and the interior cleaned ever week. I wouldn't really call it "detailed", but when you do it ever week it never gets very dirty. It costs about 12 bucks since he always seems to have $3 dollar off coupons. I was shocked the first few times I was there and saw the job they did for 12 or 15 dollars. I've watched all the interior/exterior work being done during the process (many many times over the years when I'm out there for my yearly visit) and there literally wasn't any interior or exterior surface that wasn't washed, and/or hit with a cleaning towel inside, and then toweled dry. There were no dusty surfaces in the vehicle and not a drop of water dripping off anywhere when the process was done. When drying they opened all the doors and the trunk and wiped down all the door jams and the top of the trunk channel and all the aluminum wheel rims were toweled absolutely dry.

Compared to using one of our commonly used "drive in" services, it's not even remotely comparable. A towel never even comes close to my aluminum wheel rims, the door jams/trunk channel are still dusty/dirty and there are dusty spots randomly on the inside (dash board/dash, console, sill plate etc...) that obviously were never hit with a cleaning towel. When I'm told it done, there is still water dripping from the outside of my car (I'm not talking about the undercarriage)......and yet I paid more than my brother pays in LA.....go figure.

Why do you get your car Detailed, or why not?
I get my car detailed because I want to preserve my investment and enjoy having it look nice. Our cars are a reflection of ourselves...and if you don't give a crap about how your car looks (the condition of far to many local cars is deplorable), to me it just shows you really don't care much about keeping your property in good working condition and the other things you own are probably in the same/similar condition. Obviously, if it's a construction truck etc..., there is a different standard....but I'm talking about private passenger vehicles here.

If you do get your car Detailed, do you go to the same Detailer or Shop to have it done each time? How did you find or hear about the Detailer or Detailers that you go to?
We have few options....so it's either all me doing the work, or them doing 75% of the work and me finishing the final 25% at home after they are done. Again, I'm talking about drive in service, not the places you make an appointment for which are much better, but far most costly for weekly or bi-weekly service.

How far do you drive to get your car detailed, or do they come to you at your home, or work?
Just a few miles and you go to them to have the work done...which I'm fine with.

Would you be interested in Premium Eco-Friendly and Waterless Detailing that produces similar or better results then those that use water?
I'd be willing to give it a try unless it's hugely expensive....I just want a good job done at a reasonable price.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:21 PM

464 posts, read 802,854 times
Why are people referring to cars as "investments"? The vast majority of cars depreciate over time, not appreciate. They're assets, yes, but they are not investments.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Why are people referring to cars as "investments"? The vast majority of cars depreciate over time, not appreciate. They're assets, yes, but they are not investments.
That is true QuietBlue, I guess it would only truly be an investment if you used it for work. What I meant by investment which was the wrong term to use, was taking care of something that you spent a good deal of money on to keep it in good working condition for as long as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota