Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
He was quite political in belittling Mitt Romney in 2012 and George W. Bush any chance he got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
No one supporting the Romney or Bush campaigns ever tried to belittle anyone else. Not fair. LOL. ... etc., etc.,.... standard bashing of Michelle Bachman.... etc., etc......
A fair reading of the post you reference is not that it suggests that any side is or was better or worse than the other in how they conduct their politics but instead was a simple refutation of this statement suggesting that this was Letterman's first entry into politics.

Quote:
Maybe since Letterman's retiring he's beginning to feel like he can participate more in politics?.
You guys can never talk about anything political without slinging mud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 12:53 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
A fair reading of the post you reference is not that it suggests that any side is or was better or worse than the other in how they conduct their politics but instead was a simple refutation of this statement suggesting that this was Letterman's first entry into politics.

You guys can never talk about anything political without slinging mud.

Until your post there had been no comments made smearing other posters, just agreements, disagreements and observations about this matter.

Some people can't discuss politics without making a sweeping negative generalization of other people's comments either. I believe that is also called mud slinging said the pot to the kettle. It is funny how you single out two of us and give a pass to others that slung the mud far worse with comments about Franken using ugly ads and being a jerk. LOL. To be fair, there were also some positive comments made in the thread, too.

My conclusion which I doubt too many disagree with, but you of course conveniently left out was: "No one can cry foul too much, because they all do it". Some big time mud slinging there.

It does not get more reasonable and balanced than that as a concluding statement.

BTW, I made my comments only after hearing Franken referred to as a jerk that resorted to ugly ads more than once without specifics. When they were asked to specifically produce one ad, they did not and still have not done so. If there had been only one reference to his being a jerk and using ugly tactics, I would have refrained. I would not rank him as one of my five most heroic people in politics, but people should back up their smack talk with specifics. I would not be surprised if he took his attacks too far like almost everyone else does, too.

No specific ad has been produced by his critics though. I made my comment to establish a little perspective and balance in case anyone had forgotten who the worst perpetrator of attack politics has been in Minnesota. Putting things in perspective is the opposite of mud slinging IMO.

I could easily back up criticism of Michelle Bachmann with specific quotes and information. I think there have been so many now that it is a well documented established pattern. John McCain has also been critical of Bachmann:

The Jewish Press » » Michelle Bachmann Doubles Down on Muslim Brotherhood Infesting US Government Charge.

Regarding Bachmann's stances about the Anoka-Hennepin schools' bullying and suicide crisis less than a decade ago:

http://www.readersupportednews.org/n...792-one-towns-

Discussions in Minnesota political forums have generally been a little more civil with one or two exceptions, than other state forums IMO despite the heated disagreements that can briefly occur. It is natural for people to be biased a bit toward their own point of view. It goes with the territory and happens on most state forums. If some people want to get negative and call it mud slinging, that is really their problem. Especially when they are just as biased as anyone else; no more but no less either. It does not deter me from stating my views and presenting information.

I did address the Letterman political involvement. There just is not a whole lot of specific information as to how involved he will be at this point. If anyone has any specifics, please share.

A poster can smear others as mud slingers or other names if that floats their boat. Should it stop me or others from stating their views and presenting information? No and it won't. Try again. LOL.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-17-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Until your post there had been no comments made smearing other posters, just agreements, disagreements and observations about this matter.

Some people can't discuss politics without making a sweeping negative generalization of other people's comments either. I believe that is also called mud slinging said the pot to the kettle. It is funny how you single out two of us and give a pass to others that slung the mud far worse with comments about Franken using ugly ads and being a jerk. LOL. To be fair, there were also some positive comments made in the thread, too.

My conclusion which I doubt too many disagree with, but you of course conveniently left out was: "No one can cry foul too much, because they all do it". Some big time mud slinging there.

It does not get more reasonable and balanced than that as a concluding statement.

BTW, I made my comments only after hearing Franken referred to as a jerk that resorted to ugly ads more than once without specifics. When they were asked to specifically produce one ad, they did not and still have not done so. If there had been only one reference to his being a jerk and using ugly tactics, I would have refrained. I would not rank him as one of my five most heroic people in politics, but people should back up their smack talk with specifics. I would not be surprised if he took his attacks too far like almost everyone else does, too.

No specific ad has been produced by his critics though. I made my comment to establish a little perspective and balance in case anyone had forgotten who the worst perpetrator of attack politics has been in Minnesota. Putting things in perspective is the opposite of mud slinging IMO.

I could easily back up criticism of Michelle Bachmann with specific quotes. I think there have been so many now that it is a well documented established pattern. John McCain has also been critical of Bachmann:

The Jewish Press » » Michelle Bachmann Doubles Down on Muslim Brotherhood Infesting US Government Charge.

Discussions in Minnesota political forums have generally been a little more civil with one or two exceptions, than other state forums IMO despite the heated disagreements that can briefly occur. It is natural for people to be biased a bit toward their own point of view. That happens on most state forums. If some people want to get negative and call it mud slinging, that is really their problem and theirs alone. It does not deter me from stating my views and presenting information.

I did address the Letterman political involvement. There just is not a whole lot of specific information as to how involved he will be at this point. If anyone has any specifics, please share.

A poster can smear me and others as mud slingers or other names if that floats their boat. Should it stop me from stating my views and presenting information? No and it won't. Try again. LOL.
Perhaps your comment about my slinging mud at you is fair but I wasn't aiming at anyone else, just you. I thought your attempt to lighten the burden with a fake pox on all their house by slamming Bachmann was off topic and poor form. Why not go after someone who is running for election if you want to go after a politician? More of your war on women, i suppose. But as you say, you are entitled to your prejudices. At least the guy who called Franken a jerk can say he actually met the man.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Which ads were 'ugly'?
Here are three links which describe the tone and some of the ads during the Franken vs. Coleman campaign. Both campaigns ran hard hitting ads. It is easy to forget how nasty that campaign got...on both sides. FWIW, if I had been a Minnesota voter I sincerely believe I would have voted for third party candidate Dean Barkley in that race.

Al Franken vs. Norm Coleman gets down and dirty | City Pages.

http://www.articles.latimes.com/2008.../na-minnesota3.

Coleman, Franken turn up the heat in latest campaign ads | The Current from Minnesota Public Radio.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,594 times
Quote:
Here are three links which describe the tone and some of the ads during the Franken vs. Coleman campaign. Both campaigns ran hard hitting ads. It is easy to forget how nasty that campaign got...on both sides. FWIW, if I had been a Minnesota voter I sincerely believe I would have voted for third party candidate Dean Barkley in that race.

Al Franken vs. Norm Coleman gets down and dirty | City Pages.

www.articles.latimes.com/2008/nov/03/nation/na-minnesota3.

Coleman, Franken turn up the heat in latest campaign ads | The Current from Minnesota Public Radio.

Ah yes, that City Pages piece brings back memories.

I just needed something to jog my memory. It think it's actually a good thing that I didn't devote any brain power to remembering that campaign since there was nothing particularly memorable.

Still, I think that's kind of what you get when neither man had much of substance to positively campaign on (which is even worse when one considers Coleman since he already had a term in the senate under his belt...). I think I did vote for Franken in the end but I've always been a Barkley fan so I may have voted for him. In the end I don't know if my vote would have been aspirational as much as strategic- at this point I'll vote for anything that I believe is most likely to beat the Republican in an election because I don't really see much of what I want in mainstream political parties but I do know what I see as pure poison. I've voted for Arne Carlson in the past, as well as Jesse Venture, but I doubt I will ever vote Republican again and only Independent when they show a strong chance of beating the Republican in the race.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Perhaps your comment about my slinging mud at you is fair but I wasn't aiming at anyone else, just you. I thought your attempt to lighten the burden with a fake pox on all their house by slamming Bachmann was off topic and poor form. Why not go after someone who is running for election if you want to go after a politician? More of your war on women, i suppose. But as you say, you are entitled to your prejudices. At least the guy who called Franken a jerk can say he actually met the man.

I was putting the matter in perspective by saying he has a long way to go before he can match her. She is the one most people think of regarding attack politics in Minnesota. Be honest. They can all stand to raise their game including Franken to be sure. It seemed to me like he was being singled out as a special case in politics (and without specific info but I provided that in a recent post) when the majority of the others do it, too. FWIW, I believe I would have voted for Barkley in that earlier race. He found out the hard way that being decent in tone is not rewarded by voters often enough. Some people on the left may have also feared throwing the election to Coleman with a Barkley vote and some on the right maybe the same about throwing it to Franken. As information about Franken's new opponent is brought to my attention, I may comment on that in the future.

You can aim at me as you please. I still stand 100% by what I said and it quickly put the matter in proper perspective. Your "war on women" accusation (LOL) takes away credibility regarding a "poor form" accusation IMO. You don't like it when right wing politicians are criticized. I would be equally critical if she were a man stating those things, too.

So everyone that has ever criticized Bachmann is guilty of a war on women now? LOL.

I respect your right to express your views. I just happen to disagree with them here. From your past history of political comments, I do not expect the same respect in return. No big deal. You have made some valuable and constructive comments on several other thread topics IMO. BTW, I have criticized Bush, Cheney, and other male politicians, too. I have complimented some political leaders of both genders too.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, but we agree to disagree.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-17-2014 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I was putting the matter in perspective by saying he has a long way to go before he can match her. She is the one most people think of regarding attack politics in Minnesota. Be honest. They can all stand to raise their game including to be sure. It seemed to me like he was being singled out as a special case in politics (and without specific info but I provided that in a recent post) when the majority of the others do it, too. FWIW, I believe I would have voted for Barkley in that earlier race. He found out the hard way that being decent in tone is not rewarded by voters often enough. Some people on the left may have also feared throwing the election to Coleman with a Barkley vote and some on the right maybe the same about throwing it to Franken. As information about Franken's new opponent is brought to my attention, I may comment on that in the future.
Good grief, man. He wasn't being singled out. He is the topic of the thread! Not Bach,Ann, Coleman, Barkley, or anyone else. If you want to bring other politicians into the discussion, start another thread, don't hijack this one.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Good grief, man. He wasn't being singled out. He is the topic of the thread! Not Bach,Ann, Coleman, Barkley, or anyone else. If you want to bring other politicians into the discussion, start another thread, don't hijack this one.
It is fair and appropriate to make comparisons to other politicians and I have seldom read too many political threads where that does not happen. Plus it is such a common thing for politics to be this way in general these days that I believe not to mention that and make one or two comparisons would have been even more misleading and irresponsible.

In sports we compare baseball players to other players. If we bragged about someone with a .275 average, it would be appropriate for someone else to mention there are five players on the team hitting for a better average if that was the case.

If someone was recommending an auto mechanic or oil change firm, it would be fair for someone to mention a few they thought were better. We do that in restaurant threads too. If we were criticizing someone for driving 5 mph over the speed limit, it would be appropriate to mention there are drivers going 10-15 mph over it, too. Just sharing the logic.

You overestimate my power and influence. Nothing I post prevents anyone from stating anything they want on the thread. I think "hijack" is an overused term here on city data by people and sometimes used as a back door way of stopping someone one disagrees with from stating their views or sometimes as fake outrage when the views expressed are not shared by them. Everything stated on the thread has been about politics in Minnesota. Franken is definitely part of that and it appears Letterman will be in a supporting role, too. No one switched the topic to sports, weather, food, etc. Good grief about those that choose to over-react.

So be our guest. Please give us a few examples of wrongs that you think Franken has committed if you feel strongly about the issue. Or share your opinion about Letterman's political support for him...or both. Or state something about the opposing candidate. Nothing prevents you or anyone else from doing so.

I won't say another word about Michele Bachmann, Dean Barkley, or Norm Coleman in this thread. (BTW, the "ugly ads" from the Franken/Coleman campaign were brought up before I commented. Someone asked about those ads and I provided a few links showing both campaigns ran negative ads). I have said all I wanted to say about them anyways regardless of your approval/disapproval.

BTW, none of the other posters had a problem with it or at the very least they did not object.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-17-2014 at 08:10 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
It is fair and appropriate to make comparisons to other politicians and I have seldom read too many political threads where that does not happen. Plus it is such a common thing for politics to be this way in general these days that I believe not to mention that and make comparisons would have been even more misleading and irresponsible.

In sports we compare baseball players to other players. If we bragged about someone with a .275 average, it would be appropriate for someone else to mention there are five players on the team hitting for a better average if that was the case.

If someone was recommending an auto mechanic or oil change firm, it would be fair for someone to mention a few they thought were better. We do that in restaurant threads too.

You overestimate my power and influence. Nothing I post prevents anyone from stating anything they want on the thread. I think "hijack" is an overused term here on city data by people and sometimes used as a back door way of stopping someone one disagrees with from stating their views or sometimes as fake outrage when the views expressed are not shared by them. Everything stated on the thread has been about politics in Minnesota. Franken is definitely part of that and it appears Letterman will be in a supporting role, too. No one switched the topic to sports, weather, food, etc. Good grief about those that choose to over-react.

So be our guest. Please give us a few examples of wrongs that you think Franken has committed if you feel strongly about the issue. Or share your opinion about Letterman's political support for him...or both. Or state something about the opposing candidate. Nothing prevents you or anyone else from doing so.

I won't say another word about Michele Bachmann, Dean Barkley, or Norm Coleman in this thread. (BTW, the "ugly ads" from the Franken/Coleman campaign were brought up before I commented. Someone asked about those ads and I provided a few links showing both campaigns ran negative ads). I have said all I wanted to say about them anyways regardless of your approval/disapproval.

BTW, none of the other posters had a problem with it or at the very least they did not object.
All of which has nothing to do with whether or not Letterman is campaigning for Franken, which is the topic of this thread, not "politics in Minnesota". Up at the top of this page you'll see a button labeled "start a new thread." Click on it.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
All of which has nothing to do with whether or not Letterman is campaigning for Franken, which is the topic of this thread, not "politics in Minnesota". Up at the top of this page you'll see a button labeled "start a new thread." Click on it.
Political threads usually discuss closely related issues. (Then I guess we should scold people if the topic was, say the Walker Art Center if someone else dared post a comparison to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts or the Weisman Art Museum. LOL).

Everyone else reads things they don't always agree with, too, from time to time. No sympathy. I agreed not to discuss the other three politicians any more in the thread. That should be enough to satisfy you. So far all four of your posts on the matter are objections to what I said and have no information about your views or information regarding the thread topic either.

So if you are so concerned about being exactly on point, please put yourself out there and comment about the political relationship between Franken and Letterman directly instead. All others can do the same. I am fine with that.

Please go ahead and comment about whether you believe Letterman will campaign for Franken and to what extent. There is no way I can stop you from typing it. It is your right! We have yet to read your facts or opinions regarding them.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-17-2014 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota