Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 PM

52 posts, read 84,188 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I've applied a Business Analyst job [Entry Level] at UnitedHealthCare in Minnetonka, MN. I decided to do an early research on the cost of living in Minnetonka, MN in case I get a job offer and I know what salary I should ask for so I can be at least financially stable. It appears that Minnetonka as a high living cost like any other city.

I'm from Massachusetts. I'm trying to figure out what salary I should asked for since I'm planning to live closer to work in case I'm late due to shoveling the snow. I haven't check what the rent is for a studio apartment there yet and if the plow the snow out of the parking lot. I do plan to bring my car as well. Only thing I owe so far is my student loans and I'll be done with my car loans by June 2015.

I looked at salary.com, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. This will my first time moving out of the state. I know I have to figure out what my monthly expense would be such as food, car loan, gas, rent, internet, etc.

I did researched through the forum to see if someone has posted a similar question like I did, but it didn't regard much to Minnetonka, MN.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 PM

520 posts, read 775,494 times
Minnetonka is an upscale suburb located about 15 minutes from downtown Minneapolis. It is probably the equivalent of what Lexington is to Boston.

You will find the Minneapolis area to be slightly less expensive than most of Massachusetts. Traffic, congestion and parking are less of an issue than they are in eastern and central Mass. You will be able to find much nicer housing for less money than if you were anywhere in or around Boston.

If you want to be close to work, you could look at Minnetonka, Minneapolis and several other suburbs that would provide a wide range of housing options.

In other words, a job that pays 10%-20% less here would give you comparable or more purchasing power than a job in a Boston suburb along 128 or 495.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:05 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
I would also consider the suburbs of Hopkins, St. Louis Park if you get a job in Minnetonka. Those suburbs are still relatively close for commute to work and may be less expensive than Minnetonka.

Being first ring suburbs (Hopkins and SLP), you'll likely find older apartment buildings and housing, but somewhat more character.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM

49 posts, read 81,004 times
I would agree what MidwestRedux is saying. Minnetonka is an upscale suburb that is geared toward older population. If you are starting out, I would look at St Louis Park or parts of Hopkins. Houses and apartments will be less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota