Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 10,041 times

Advertisements

It's not that I don't think I can find it... I'm looking for some help from people who may have places up there so I can find it quicker and wittle my choices down. I could spend my whole life stopping at little town after little town for a weekend to see how it fits.

I'm anxious to get up there and start clearing trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 03:07 PM

6 posts, read 10,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
why the need to be out of WI? danbury is close to pathfinder, small, lots of ATV trails around but certainly not "deep in the north woods".
WI is definitely an option. In fact, a 3ish hour radius is an option.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:35 AM

695 posts, read 714,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npreisler View Post
The WI town I am trying to find in MN is Lakewood, WI. I will describe Lakewood and hopefully you can help me find a town like it here in MN

Population of the town is 850 but with the two nearby towns (10-15 minute drive away) is 1600.

Deep in the woods (Nicolet national forest)

There are a handful of lakes in the 150-400 acre range with great fishing. Recreational lakes in addition to fishing lakes are a plus

The lakes have a sandy beach

There are good restaurants or bars on the lake (not necessarily boat accessible)

Has a family owned grocery store and hardware store with no chain stores

Has good hole in the wall bars with friendly service and delicious food

Everyone owns a four wheeler and sled and there are nearby trails to ride them

There is affordable wooded property (under $40k) with electricity and hook up possible (2 to 5 acres) that I can clear the way I want to fit my retirement home.

The town has year round locals but gets heavy cabin traffic on weekends and holidays

Not very commercialized by bigger businesses

A town where everyone knows everyone

Very lively town deep in the northwoods

Hopefully someone can help my find my new cabin country in MN.
Have you checked out Cross Lake, MN, yet?
City of Crosslake, Minnesota *

Old 11-15-2014, 07:22 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
^
Yes, Crow Wing county towns would be good choices. Others in that vicinity include Nisswa, Emily, Fifty Lakes, etc.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:42 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npreisler View Post
WI is definitely an option. In fact, a 3ish hour radius is an option.
Parts of northern Iowa are gorgeous. And about 2-3 hr drive.
Decorah and around there

Old 11-22-2014, 09:38 PM

148 posts, read 149,409 times
I don't know if it has everything for ya, but I feel like Barnum would be pretty close to what you like. Preferably the Highway 61 side instead of the I-35 side, though if you go a few miles east past I-35 you'll get to some really nice lakes. Carlton is another good one with some great bars and a fantastic bike trail that goes to Jay Cooke State Park/Duluth/Hibbing (if you're into that kinda thing)*, but it might not be out in the sticks enough (Duluth, pop. 100,000, is about 20 miles away).

The central part of the state also has places like Deerwood, which has a low population and has enough woods and lakes and general good stuff. It's also across the lake from another small town called Crosby, and about 20 miles away from the bigger town of Brainerd (pop 13000), which might be a good or bad thing depending on what ya want.

Everything listed here is about 2 hours away from MSP.

*And if you are, here's a photo of that bike trail to Duluth. It's freakin' awesome.
https://scontent-2.2914.fna.fbcdn.ne...77&oe=551DE3B8

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread, looks like GraniteStater's got Crow Wing county covered. GS ain't wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota