Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:54 PM

137 posts, read 611,913 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a house in rural MN and want to pull the tax records before I put in an offer.

Can I get these at the county courthouse? Is the realtor required by law to show me a copy or do I have to get it myself (at the courthouse, city hall, etc?)

I have a couple of houses I'm interested in; however, one in the top three has been vacant for a year and a half. Me thinks, when compared to the others I'm looking at, that it is overpriced.

Thank you,
disneyrecords
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 04:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
You can look online to see if their county has that information online or you can call the county tax assessor and ask for the information. It is all public record so easily obtained by anyone. Also, keep in mind that the tax records don't necessarily equal the market value of the home. Every county has a different formula for coming up with the tax value. I know that our home is taxed quite a bit under what it appraised out for even in this soft market.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 AM

29 posts, read 116,670 times
Default Tax Records

All counties in MN are supposed to be online with their records. The tax records will not give you an idea of market value, if that is what you are looking for. You need the fair market value. A realtor would be able to assist you with a search of the local market for comp sales. You also need to look at time on market numbers.

If you are not working with a realtor then I guess the question is perhaps why not? As a buyer there would be no cost to you, since the seller pays for it. The realtor would do all of this work for you and do all the paperwork. If you need a referral for someone in that area I can help you with that.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyrecords View Post
I'm looking at a house in rural MN and want to pull the tax records before I put in an offer.

Can I get these at the county courthouse? Is the realtor required by law to show me a copy or do I have to get it myself (at the courthouse, city hall, etc?)

I have a couple of houses I'm interested in; however, one in the top three has been vacant for a year and a half. Me thinks, when compared to the others I'm looking at, that it is overpriced.

Thank you,
disneyrecords
If you think it is overpriced then offer what you think it is worth, the worst they can say is no. Where in MN are you looking?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:

Thank you,
disneyrecords
Hi

Tax records for properties are on line in Grand Forks county ND....but I in Polk county MN where I live...tax records are not avbl via web. I believe it is the same in Pennington county. So your best bet is to contact the assessors office in Pennington county who may be able to help you out with that. The assessors office in Polk county is the one who sends us our tax bill each year. My property tax bill will some with two equal installments...one due by May and the other by the end of October.

Your realtor may also be able to direct you too....

Dan

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,456 times
You can try ZipRealty Real Estate -- Homes for sale and local real estate agents

It shows estimated taxes and estimated property worth. Good Luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
You can try ZipRealty Real Estate -- Homes for sale and local real estate agents

It shows estimated taxes and estimated property worth. Good Luck!

I have looked at this site too....unfortunately it only serves larger metro areas...and in Minnesota it only gives info for the twin cities metro and not out state.

Dan

Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 PM

137 posts, read 611,913 times
Thank you all!

The reason why I asked the question is-- suprisingly-- the real estate agency does not provide representation for the buyer. So yes, we are working with an agency; however, we are not being represented. Hence, I have to be aggressive-- after all-- it's my hard earned money!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:19 AM

29 posts, read 116,670 times
Default Real Estate

Please STOP. FIND AN AGENT OR OFFICE THAT WILL REPRESENT YOU. You need to find someone who will do the work for you and submit an offer that will be to YOUR benefit.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you all!

The reason why I asked the question is-- suprisingly-- the real estate agency does not provide representation for the buyer. So yes, we are working with an agency; however, we are not being represented. Hence, I have to be aggressive-- after all-- it's my hard earned money!

That isn't all that uncommon in rural areas. There are only so many RE agents to go around and frankly they make more money on the listing usually. We lived in SW MN for many years and NONE of the RE companies there have buyer's agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota